Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
lol, i dont think OP has an anger issue. i completely agree staring is rude and makes the person uncomfortable. people shouldn't do it.

i'm at the point where i too want to confront people who stare at me. like "can i help you?!" jesus. or "take a picture it lasts longer" geez. these people need to know it's NOT okay to stare.
The OP was outside, and as the person staring might have been a kook would have been best just to carry on. There are certain times a stranger should be confronted but not in this case. He was not stuck in the same space with the person.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
lol, i dont think OP has an anger issue. i completely agree staring is rude and makes the person uncomfortable. people shouldn't do it.

i'm at the point where i too want to confront people who stare at me. like "can i help you?!" jesus. or "take a picture it lasts longer" geez. these people need to know it's NOT okay to stare.
Yes, you can say something like that, but then you walk away, or go on with your business. Definitely not okay to get all up in someone's face for looking at you. I often people watch, but I usually try to do it while wearing sunglasses so as to avoid the look of staring. Too me this whole business of getting in people's face is the same as road rage. It seems like a case of pent-up aggression that spills out on the first person who doesn't do everything just the way you want it. I see it all the time, and it's really just a bunch of misdirected anger and frustration. OP should really think about seeing a counselor to see why he is so touchy and angry before he gets himself arrested for assault. What is really eating you up inside? Why does a man's gaze incite physical aggression? You're a thinking human being, not some sort of jungle animal. Use your brain to figure out why this bothers you so much.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Whom are these people you speak of?

Where do you live?

I'm so busy in my life, I would not know if someone was staring or not.

Not one to care what people think of me when they don't know me.
I don't know if you mean that completely, but it's kind of dangerous to be too busy to notice if someone is looking at you with open hostility.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
A quick google search would tell you that staring is NOT considered rude in some cultures at all.

Education helps you not get all worked up over things. A simple, "It's considered rude to stare around here," and walking away would've solved your problem. Well, the staring problem. Not the aggression problem.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Moderator cut: warning

From the TOS of these forums
Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,717 times
I agree that staring is rude, but you did overreact imo. If it had been me, I think I would have glared at the person if he kept it up, and then maybe mentioned that it is rude to stare. But that would have been the extent of any interaction, and then I'd walk away. It's not a valid reason to start a fight with someone just because they're clueless and annoying.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:34 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
A quick google search would tell you that staring is NOT considered rude in some cultures at all.

Education helps you not get all worked up over things. A simple, "It's considered rude to stare around here," and walking away would've solved your problem. Well, the staring problem. Not the aggression problem.
Maybe it's ok in their countries but as I always hear on travel forums one should do research about the do's and dont's of the country they are visiting or moving to. It is rude here and just because it is ok in their country of origin isn't a excuse here.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:46 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I just treat them like the cockroaches they are. Wave, smile, etc. You never know, maybe they like your hairdo or outfit.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Maybe it's ok in their countries but as I always hear on travel forums one should do research about the do's and dont's of the country they are visiting or moving to. It is rude here and just because it is ok in their country of origin isn't a excuse here.
Agreed. I have heard that men from India (not American Indians) sometimes stare at others for extended periods of time, but have not ever experienced this myself. If it were to happen to me, I would find it aggravating.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:56 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
I've noticed four types (maybe more, but these come to mind) of people who stare:

1.) Conservative looking older people (even if the people they are staring at look fairly conservative)

2.) Creepy, disheveled looking guys (typically about Baby Boomer age) with the "mirrored sunglasses" look who are trying to project an aggressive appearance but instead look like extras on Duck Dynasty.

3.) Hardened looking guys that really do look like they just got paroled (the ones that give you that "uh-oh- I better get away from that guy" feeling)

4.) Women that are overly sensitive about someone even glancing at them and then exaggeratedly throw off this aggressive "how dare you look at me" stare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships