Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:21 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm guessing your are female SLS? If so, I feel for you, men can opt out of these parties and usually no one will say a word but it can be awkward for a woman who IS expected to join and celebrate. And it IS kind of a celebration of their sex and/or love lives.

Maybe the equivalent for guys are bachelor parties but those are after hours and often can be declined.

Yeah, I often don't feel right about these things and several times I've been invited to weddings of work acquaintances! No thanks.

But maybe you can pick your battles, if you mostly like some lady getting married or having a kid, I'd participate in a minimal way. If you don't like them at all or barely know them, maybe you dip out some kind of way.
Thanks for understanding! Yes, I'm female and most of my coworkers are. Like I said, I work closely with these people and they're decent people, so I wouldn't want to offend anyone. I just don't think it's fair that they don't have to pretend to care or participate in celebrations of non-sexual events in my life. And I don't even particularly want a celebration for myself for anything. I just don't like always having to celebrate others just because they're having sex.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Setting aside the issue of office celebrations, what I find odd is that you link these events to sex. I hope that you are working with your therapist on why celebrating an engagement or pregnancy = celebrating people's sex lives. IMO, that's just bizarre.
What's bizarre about it? Take away the sex and you're unlikely to have an engagement or pregnancy. I'd rather celebrate someone's pet adoption.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:28 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
What's bizarre about it? Take away the sex and you're unlikely to have an engagement or pregnancy. I'd rather celebrate someone's pet adoption.
It's moot trying to get you to understand why you're putting all the emphasis on "SEX" instead of events in people's lives.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:28 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Thanks for understanding! Yes, I'm female and most of my coworkers are. Like I said, I work closely with these people and they're decent people, so I wouldn't want to offend anyone. I just don't think it's fair that they don't have to pretend to care or participate in celebrations of non-sexual events in my life. And I don't even particularly want a celebration for myself for anything. I just don't like always having to celebrate others just because they're having sex.
Trust me, if your attitude toward your co-workers' celebrations reflects your statements here at all, I'm pretty sure they'd just as soon you didn't "participate". No one likes a resentful congratulation.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:29 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
I'd rather celebrate someone's pet adoption.
Why? Because no one had to have sex to get it?

It IS weird that you're choosing to focus on the sexual aspect of these events. We're all here on Earth because SOMEONE had sex. And ... ?

Either go or don't, but don't let your resentment unfairly paint a different picture of what is actually happening.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
It's moot trying to get you to understand why you're putting all the emphasis on "SEX" instead of events in people's lives.
We don't really celebrate anything non-sexual aside from retirements and I'm not old enough for that yet. Nothing else gets as much attention as marriage/pregnancy and both of those things usually involve sex.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:32 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,988 times
Quote:
But that'll make me look bad.
but these are just co-workers, you said, why do you care how you look to them?

I'm with you--I don't invite folks into my life as 'friends' just because we work together.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Why? Because no one had to have sex to get it?

It IS weird that you're choosing to focus on the sexual aspect of these events. We're all here on Earth because SOMEONE had sex. And ... ?

Either go or don't, but don't let your resentment unfairly paint a different picture of what is actually happening.
Because adopting a pet is a life event too, and one that I can personally relate to.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
...one that I can personally relate to.
This ^^^ is the reason you resent these events.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:34 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Interesting how to correlate these events to merely sex.

When I hear of someone getting married, or engaged, or pregnant, I don't really think about their sex life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships