U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:35 PM

3,094 posts, read 2,197,264 times

Advertisements

So a friend of mine and I were having a debate about something (nature irrelevant). So I said something, my friend said, "It don't matter!" I countered by correcting, "It doesn't matter!" She gave me a look that could have froze fire, "Don't you ever correct me!" Some years ago, I did proofreading work, and corrected things on paper - misspelled words, mispunctuated sentences, even misspoken quotes (e.g. "Mines" instead of "mine", etc.) and I guess I paid a lot of attention in my English classes in school.

Would you get mad/offended if a friend corrected you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:39 PM

991 posts, read 761,844 times
I'm usually the one correcting others. It doesn't bother me if I get corrected once in awhile.
I like to know if I am sounding like a moron

Old 07-21-2017, 01:41 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
So a friend of mine and I were having a debate about something (nature irrelevant). So I said something, my friend said, "It don't matter!" I countered by correcting, "It doesn't matter!" She gave me a look that could have froze fire, "Don't you ever correct me!" Some years ago, I did proofreading work, and corrected things on paper - misspelled words, mispunctuated sentences, even misspoken quotes (e.g. "Mines" instead of "mine", etc.) and I guess I paid a lot of attention in my English classes in school.

Yes, it's rude.

I, too, spend time editing documents, but would never think to call a friend out in a conversation like that.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:42 PM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:

The occasion would never arise, because I'm like you, a stickler for grammar.

Oh, and btw, it's "...could have frozen fire".

Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM

3,094 posts, read 2,197,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The occasion would never arise, because I'm like you, a stickler for grammar.

Oh, and btw, it's "...could have frozen fire".
I stand corrected. Ruth to the rescue! :-)

I also hate when people say, "I seen..." It's I saw, or I've seen.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:58 PM

78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
I stand corrected. Ruth to the rescue! :-)

I also hate when people say, "I seen..." It's I saw, or I've seen.
Oh, well, now you've got me! I used to say "I seen...", "I been..." when I was younger. I did NOT view it as ungrammatical. In my mind it was an extreme contraction; "I've been..." drops the ve, and becomes " I' been..." I viewed it as the culmination of a gradual linguistic process of contracting the pronoun/helping verb combination. It is NOT the equivalent of "I was..." or "I saw".

So, there.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-21-2017 at 02:51 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 02:03 PM

1,952 posts, read 955,795 times
I'm a grammar nazi as well, I've been told by waitresses and the like that I speak like a professor. I'd never correct someone like that, though, and lord knows I get tons of opportunities to.

My biggest pet peeves are 'conversate' and 'irregardless'. I'm afraid future editions of Webster's will change to accommodate those who speak this way, as well as pronouncing 'nuclear' as 'nuke-ya-ler'.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,618,821 times
I now have to control myself because the past because I too once corrected a friend and received a similar reaction from her. Now I just bite my tongue. I'd rather someone correct me but to each their own.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:08 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,618,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I'm a grammar nazi as well, I've been told by waitresses and the like that I speak like a professor. I'd never correct someone like that, though, and lord knows I get tons of opportunities to.

My biggest pet peeves are 'conversate' and 'irregardless'. I'm afraid future editions of Webster's will change to accommodate those who speak this way, as well as pronouncing 'nuclear' as 'nuke-ya-ler'.
These kill me. I almost corrected a bag boy at the grocery store once for saying conversate but took a deep breath and walked away instead.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:13 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,069,356 times
The only people I feel I have the right to correct are my children and grandchildren. It is considered rude to correct other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships