Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This is in response to another long thread on asking people about their ethnicity and nationality.

When someone asks me my Nationality, I say "American". That gives them the chance to ask about my ethnicity, and I usually give them all 4 and the percentages that go with them. A lot of people assume I'm 100% Irish because of my name and my appearance, but I'm really only 50%.

I don't know if my kids even know or care about the 6 different known ethnicities that they're technically made up of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 11:53 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
I don't care, but it's very rare lol nobody ever just comes up and asks me. It's typically just something that comes up among a group of us. I like having an answer

Old 07-26-2017, 11:53 AM

50,286 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Ask someone from Britain if they are Aussie, or vice versa if you want to see someone go unhinged.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I wonder why they want to know.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 PM

322 posts, read 286,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think white people in general, don't mind it much at all.

But I thinks that's because we're pretty used to our white privilege. (And I'm not saying that sarcastically.)
Interesting. Why do you say this has something to do with white privilege? (I'm just asking not attacking you just curious)

Old 07-26-2017, 12:06 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This is in response to another long thread on asking people about their ethnicity and nationality.
I sometimes ask white people about their background: Irish, Italian etc. Or where their accent is from. Or where their parents or ancestors immigrated from and when. I wonder if they have problems with that. It does not appear to be.
Those of you married to someone of another ethnicity, how do you feel when your children are asked that?
I don't care. It's just simple curiosity.

I think there are people in the world who lay awake at night thinking of new ways to be offended.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:10 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:

But I thinks that's because we're pretty used to our white privilege. (And I'm not saying that sarcastically.)
Can you elaborate?

Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times
Quote:

^^^ This.

IME, white people volunteer that information without being prompted (e.g. borderline bragging) more often than as a response to an inquiry. As a general rule I don't inquire about people's heritages but they often feel compelled to tell me anyway.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:29 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
I just say I'm an American, if they want details I tell them Irish / Scottish does not bother me in the least. But I believe white privilege is nothing more than an attempt by some to try and make me feel bad about myself...and I DON'T!

However, I had an ex who used to baffle people when she was asked and her reply was African-American and she was as white as me. Too many really ignorant people in this world who think Africans are only black. She was born and raised till the age of 12, in Johannesburg SA. In fact, she is probably the only true African American I have ever met. I know there are many, I just have never met any that I know of. However, I have met many Africans in Africa when traveling.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:

I grew up in a multi-racial, multi-ethnic community, and found that most people of color, Jamaicans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Trinis, Indians, South Americans, etc., had no problem being asked or talking about their ethnic background? In fact they were rather proud of it and eager to proclaim it.

Of course this was back in the 80s and 90s, and the new, more fair and accepting culture we are creating is one of "How... dare... you... You... you... white person!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships