Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:05 PM

1,066 posts, read 765,859 times

Advertisements

First off, my condolences for the loss of your dad.

Secondly, it was your sister's responsibility to have a conversation with you about the financial aspects before booking/buying the trip.

Lastly, keep an eye on her once your mom passes away down the road. She may still go after the money she may feel is owed to her. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
We used to have that problem in the family. One or two sibs would say, "Oh, we are all going in on __________for Mom and Dad for Christmas. Your share is $300." Sometimes I had already purchased something for them. Sometimes $300 was just too much for me to cough up at the time. I really wanted to reply, "What you mean "we", Kemosabe?" (For you youngsters, that's a Lone Ranger and Tonto joke....)

So I had to start saying "Nope, sorry, I've already bought something" and finally, I got it through to them that they needed to clue me in on the plans BEFORE they had purchased the item and wanted me to pay my "share". This is always a dilemma when a couple of sibs are very much more well-to-do than other ones and just can't visualize that this would be a problem for anyone.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:19 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Kinda cheeky.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:14 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times
Hell no!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
this looks like a one time thing in crisis, to cheer up your mom. Look at it as an un expected expense for moms well being. Give your sister a lecture on consulting with you before deciding or even offering your pockets to any expense. Your sister is not asking for you to pay her portion of the trip, just half of moms portion. Its not so bad, since you can afford it.

I would pay up, and remind your sister, just before handing her money, that you will not do this again. If it aint an emergency, she should not even ask you again. Your sister was trying to cheer mom up, and did a good dead taking a trip with her. Dear old mom will be needing attention for the next few years, so maybe you guys can take turns spending time with her.

If there are other siblings involved, it should be split down the middle.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:19 AM

68 posts, read 38,019 times
No way. It's great that she wanted to do something thoughtful for your mom to help her in her grieving process - but this is was an experience between your sister and your mom - you were not included, this wasn't your idea, and you didn't agree to it in advance. The fact that it didn't live up to your sister's romantic expectations does not obligate you to pay.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:57 AM

745 posts, read 480,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisting wind View Post
My Dad died a few months ago and everyone in the family felt sorry for Mom now having to live at home all alone. One of my sisters broke out her credit card and booked a cruise for her and Mom to help ease her pain. Mom had a good time but she drove my sister crazy talking non stop for a week.

I gave my sister credit for putting up with her and spending the week with Mom. But now my sister wants me to pay for half the cost of the trip.

I am conflicted. I did not go on the cruise and would hate it. I have a distant relationship with Mom and find her impossible to spend more than a few hours with. Spending a whole week with her would put chills down my spine.

But I had no decision about the cruise and think my sister spent way too much money on the thing. It was not my decision, and again, I did not go, but should I pay $1200 for half of Mom's cost? (They went crazy and booked a very expensive cruise and lots of extras.)

I have the money but it is the principal of the thing.
If you were not asked to do so before the cruise or you were asked and did not agree to do so, then I would say "nope, not happening". However, if you wanted to keep the peace with your sister, and wish to be diplomatic, then you could consider giving a percentage, such as $300.00.

I have a sister who many years ago was living at home at the time cable tv and MTV were coming around and decided to order my father cable tv and she paid for the initial cost, but guess who paid the rest. He never would have gotten it for himself. Some people are sneaky and manipulative.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
Check with Mom first to make sure she really went on a cruise.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Just say NO!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:27 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Check with Mom first to make sure she really went on a cruise.

Also to make sure mom didn't already pay for her share of the trip cost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships