Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:48 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
So perhaps we are seeing a pattern here where the procrastinators are defending their turf, their right to prepare inadequately and tardily. And taking it out on their guests by being inflexible and punitive and passive aggressive. "NO ADMITTANCE UNTIL THE OFFICIAL TIME" because I can't seem to get showered and get my house ready for you until the last possible second.
It sounds like Marc is confusing this annoyance with lack of preparation on the part of the host, when that has nothing to do with it.

For example, for a dinner party we prepare well in advance. However, we typically some private time before the party to read, nap or just chill out.

The problem with early arrivers is their presumption that it's okay to ignore your personal boundaries and intrude on your private time simply because they feel like it. It isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 06:19 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It sounds like Marc is confusing this annoyance with lack of preparation on the part of the host, when that has nothing to do with it.

For example, for a dinner party we prepare well in advance. However, we typically some private time before the party to read, nap or just chill out.

The problem with early arrivers is their presumption that it's okay to ignore your personal boundaries and intrude on your private time simply because they feel like it. It isn't.
Exactly.

We had one situation where we had a sort of surprise party for my father in law's 70th. The party wasnt a surprise but many of the guests were. The guests were to arrive a half hour earlier than my in-laws, but instead, my in-laws arrived 45 minutes early, so ahead of all the surprise guests. We didn't say anthing but we were not impressed. The surprise guests didn't look too thrilled either, wondering if they had gotten the time wrong by showing up after my in laws instead of before them.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
it's not your house or your party, so you should respect the other party's wishes or don't attend.

If you really want to arrive 30 minutes early, then ASK the host if it's ok, and let them know you'd be willing to help setup or whatever.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
hang a note on the door

party officially starts at.............

please respect the time as we are getting things ready for all our guests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships