Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
I still live at home and am 32. If people want to judge that, it says more about them then me. I work as a nanny and am single. Am hoping to save up enough to buy a place of my own but until then I am not going to be made to feel like a loser for staying put. I do 90% of the cooking and never ask for cars or money from my parents.
Don't judge, it isn't always as black and white as it seems.
I don't think most people are talking about people in your situation. Multi-generational households are fine if everyone pitches in in some way, and you are by doing the cooking,etc. You probably don't expect to have someone do your laundry and clean your room for you. You are working and saving and not taking money from the parents.

People are talking about mooches who take excessive money or cars or have their bills paid for, but never contribute much of either money towards their upkeep or who never do any household chores as their share of contributing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 07:03 PM

20,106 posts, read 9,018,880 times
FACT if you have 2 arms, two legs, are 25, and have a GED or above, you should not be living home with your parents. You should be acting like an adult and living like one.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:16 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I know a couple of guys like that, in their 40's and living at home. Seriously? When I was 18 I couldn't WAIT to get out of there. Independent! Pizza at 3am! GIRLS!!!!

Old 08-06-2017, 07:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
FACT if you have 2 arms, two legs, are 25, and have a GED or above, you should not be living home with your parents. You should be acting like an adult and living like one.
Where are those rules written? Living in a multi-generational household is not the same thing as taking advantage of ones parents. And as parents age, they may be very grateful to have the help of one or more of their children to maintain their home.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Many cultures have traditions of multi-generational living; think "The Waltons." It also used to be rather common for one of the daughters of the family to remain single and live at home to help care for the parents as they aged. Many families take in the grandparents. My parents had a large number of children and we had our abuelita--my mother's mother--with us as well. Acting like an adult, at least in my opinion, is contributing to the functioning of the household and paying your bills. You can act and live like an adult anywhere and everywhere. A multi-generational household is different from the parents taking care of adult children as if they were minors.

But you are entitled to your opinion as well and to live your life according to it, but it is an opinion and not fact.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Many cultures have traditions of multi-generational living; think "The Waltons." It used to be rather common for one of the daughters of the family to remain single and live at home to help care for the parents as they aged. Many families take in the grandparents. My parents had a large number of children and we had our abuelita--my mother's mother--with us as well. Acting like an adult, at least in my opinion, is contributing to the functioning of the household and paying your bills. You can act and live like an adult anywhere and everywhere. A multi-generational household is different from the parents taking care of adult children as if they were minors.
I know some families who live this way, it works for them. No need to spend a lot of money buying houses when they can live together.
Sadly, a lot of Americans don't understand multi-generational living and just seem to interpret it as "adult kids mooching". And at least one poster here seems to think you have to be married to be an "adult". Some very rigid beliefs are expressed on this thread.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:16 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times
I had college friends who came from good families, not wealthy, but solid middle to upper-middle class. Their parents still paid for cell phones, cosigned for cars, etc. Same for a co-worker in her 30's who still called mommy and daddy for money when she had a decent full time job and would spend her entire paycheck shopping. Wtf? Mommy and daddy always fell for sad sob story because she could not manage money. It was until they got married that they had their own finances. I can understand still in college, etc, but in your 30's is ridiculous. Grow up and get a grip for reality.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I know some families who live this way, it works for them. No need to spend a lot of money buying houses when they can live together.
Sadly, a lot of Americans don't understand multi-generational living and just seem to interpret it as "adult kids mooching". And at least one poster here seems to think you have to be married to be an "adult". Some very rigid beliefs are expressed on this thread.
There does seem to be a fair amount of either adult kids mooching or parents not wanting to cut apron strings and that, no doubt, causes the confusion.

But you are absolutely right, pooling resources such as money and housing and sharing chores can often make life more secure for everyone. I was on my own at 18 because I relocated for a job, so I had to live on my own. I like living alone now that I am old and set in my ways. Many people like being on their own. It's great when there are choices.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
People look at me like I have two heads because I have the same beliefs. Get out of mommy and daddy's house and be a damn adult.

I also don't understand why people want to stay at home. I like eating what I want when I want, coming and going as I please, having my rules only, keeping the house at the temperature I want it at, having the remote to myself, etc. etc.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
People look at me like I have two heads because I have the same beliefs. Get out of mommy and daddy's house and be a damn adult.

I also don't understand why people want to stay at home. I like eating what I want when I want, coming and going as I please, having my rules only, keeping the house at the temperature I want it at, having the remote to myself, etc. etc.
Don't disagree, and I can't wait to move out myself (I'm 26), but not everyone is you or me.

At the end of the day, each family will do what works best for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships