Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:56 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
Okay, so it varies from night to night. You are a new member, they dont' know you well. This 12 that met earlier, some of them work together. Sounds like this could have happened,

At the office...
Person 1: Hey let's meet up early and get a game in
Person 2: Okay
Person 3: Okay
Person 4: Okay
Person 5: Okay
Person 6: Okay
Person 7: Okay
Person 8: Okay
Person 9: We need 3 more, I'll email Tom, Dick, and Harry.
That's a very feasible scenario; thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OP was determined that this was a personal affront from the moment she walked in the gym and saw they were mid-game, and nothing we say will change her mind.
Wrong. I asked for your opinions. So far you (who have responded) seem pretty divided on it.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I think some of you are giving Otterhere an awful lot of grief for something she did not do. She experienced something, and she is asking if she read the experience right or wrong. We don't need nitty gritty details, I don't think.

Otterhere, I think you read the situation right, and you are choosing to NOT consider this a personal affront. How were you to know that the coach would offer you special instruction? How were you to know that someone would take offense?

Just keep showing up, perhaps a little early, and keep on learning, and I think this will pass.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:51 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think some of you are giving Otterhere an awful lot of grief for something she did not do. She experienced something, and she is asking if she read the experience right or wrong. We don't need nitty gritty details, I don't think.

Otterhere, I think you read the situation right, and you are choosing to NOT consider this a personal affront. How were you to know that the coach would offer you special instruction? How were you to know that someone would take offense?

Just keep showing up, perhaps a little early, and keep on learning, and I think this will pass.
Good advice - keep going if you like this activity. If it is pickleball, I have some cousins that love it - nothing would keep them away from playing.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:33 AM

I'm not confirming if it's tennis, volleyball, pickleball, badminton, or dueling with pistols. And still they keep prying. Wow.

If I had my mind made up about this, obviously I wouldn't bother asking; we can all certainly misread social cues at times.

So the coach was asking on e-mail why I left early, so I sort of hinted around about it, and he seemed absolutely clueless (seeing it as completely innocent). He in fact implied that I have a problem with waiting my turn, which is really insulting. But a typical male response (especially if the athletic type); not the foggiest idea how catty small-town women operate.

Letting it go, regardless of whether or not it was an orchestrated "FU," is very good advice. As long as things aren't (as) uncomfortable next time, I'm down with that.

Last edited by otterhere; 08-04-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 10:37 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not confirming if it's tennis, volleyball, pickleball, badminton, or dueling with pistols. And still they keep prying. Wow.

If I had my mind made up about this, obviously I wouldn't bother asking; we can all certainly misread social cues at times.

So the coach was asking on e-mail why I left early, so I sort of hinted around about it, and he seemed absolutely clueless (seeing it as completely innocent). He in fact implied that I have a problem with waiting my turn, which is really insulting. But a typical male response (especially if the athletic type); not the foggiest idea how catty small-town women operate.

Letting it go, regardless of whether or not it was an orchestrated "FU," is very good advice. As long as things aren't (as) uncomfortable next time, I'm down with that.
So he, in fact, picked up that you left in a huff. And it's the "other catty, small town" women? Or your behavior?

And "typical male response"? Oh please. And you wonder why you are having issues? As a woman, I'm embarrassed for you.

I think it's best you quit this team or whatever it is. Its already drama caused by you. It's all too much.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:02 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
So he, in fact, picked up that you left in a huff. And it's the "other catty, small town" women? Or your behavior?

And "typical male response"? Oh please. And you wonder why you are having issues? As a woman, I'm embarrassed for you.

I think it's best you quit this team or whatever it is. Its already drama caused by you. It's all too much.
have to agree about the typical male response comment. My sister says things about guys do this and girls do that and it is irritating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM

Sorry, but I'm of the (also unpopular, apparently) opinion that men and women are different. Batting a thousand! And no, it's not softball.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

Nailed it.

Otterhere, come on. I believe you that one other woman probably did organize a freeze-out when she felt threatened by your burgeoning athletic interest.

But you HAVE to acknowledge that your last post (and yes, leaving early in a huff, which you DID) exemplified the cattiness you're bucking against here.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:46 PM

I regret leaving (it wasn't "in a huff," but calmly) but, hey, I'm not immune from emotion and never said I was perfect. I didn't post to "buck against" the cattiness so much as to confirm it in my own mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships