Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times

Advertisements

Well, I had never heard the term "meal train" before and I still don't get the naming of it. Isn't it just being a good friend or neighbor?

If it's Soul Food, then maybe call it the "Soul Train."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 11:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I am not familiar with meal trains. If you don't want to do this, then just don't sign up. Perhaps there is something else you can do for the person.

Some people are more comfortable cooking and taking food than others are. I do think that taking food to someone who cannot cook for themselves is a noble act and is within a widespread tradition in parts of the US. Doing so is not weird; it is an act of compassion.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Regardless of whether it's frozen or not, the Meal Train is helpful not only for nutrition and taste reasons, but also the scheduling aspect. This way the sick family doesn't have 6 people all bringing chicken pot pies in the same week.

This part of it certainly makes sense.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
I have never been a part of one but I have brought food/meals to sick loved ones.

I looked it up and it seems to be a very helpful app. You tell why the person may need meals, what they are allergic to or don't like, and people sign up on a schedule. It is very clear or can be depending on who organizes it. I think it is a great app/site to use.

I don't think people should make it a competition. Moderator cut: orphaned response

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-06-2017 at 07:02 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 07:46 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I had meals organized after I had my first baby 14 years ago. The only difference now is that it has gone electronic, and can be shared more widely on social media. I used to participate all the time. As life has become busier, I have become more selective.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:04 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
There's also an expanded version of Meal Train that provides for non-food help such as rides to the doc, caring for the kids, etc.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:41 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
When my son was in the burn unit after a bad fire my coworkers arranged a meal train as I didn't even want to leave the unit, just in case. I was so thankful. Without them I probably would have just grabbed something from a vending machine.

It took a few weeks before he was out of danger so I can only imagine what kind of stomach distress I would have been in without them.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:05 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
I've never heard of "Meal Train", but I recall when a manager at a previous job was going through chemo. The company was requesting donations for cleaning services and meals, or money toward gift cards. I don't cook for anyone but myself and my boyfriend because I don't know what others' likes/dislikes or nutritional needs are. What was a little bit irksome is that the food wasn't for the actual person who had cancer, but her 15 year old son so that he didn't have to lift a finger to make himself something. Ultimately it was less for my manager to worry about, but you have to wonder why a teenager cannot step up and shoulder some of the household responsibilities when he has a sick parent. My mother was in and out of the hospital multiple times from when I was 8 to about 12, and I knew that there were things I was going to have to do for myself. You'd think that a 15 year old kid could fix himself a simple meal but whatever.

As far as people making it known when they donate their time, money, and services, I've always felt that advertising it was sort of tacky and that it should be kept private. The act is what is important, not how many people know about it.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Is it just me, as usual?
Maybe. I personally think it's a nice thing to do. From what I can remember, home-cooked meals often are a little more healthier; compared to the frozen dinner things they would (normally, unless the person uses a lot of salt) at least have a lot less sodium. Even if it's not healthier, it's just seems a lot more hospitable than giving the sick friend a frozen dinner (though if they had nothing else to eat, that would be better than nothing). Hopefully they'll at least be able to enjoy one hot serving of it too, before it goes into the freezer (since things generally loose something of their good taste once they get frozen; at least, the dinners I make do--I just figured that was the norm, but maybe not!).

Most home-cooked meals taste better than frozen dinners too (at least the ones I know of); so that would be nice to give them something good to eat instead of something edible (which is what I normally think of frozen dinners. Some are better than others, but generally not all that tasty). So I guess if the person cooking the meal is not going to be able to put together something better than a frozen dinner, then well yeah--I think showing up with a frozen dinner is probably the way to go!

I definitely think it should not be something that is pushed upon other people. If someone doesn't have the time or interest to get a meal together for their sick friend, that's their business and other people shouldn't look down on them for not doing so.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 08-06-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 08-06-2017, 06:05 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I've never heard of "Meal Train", but I recall when a manager at a previous job was going through chemo. The company was requesting donations for cleaning services and meals, or money toward gift cards. I don't cook for anyone but myself and my boyfriend because I don't know what others' likes/dislikes or nutritional needs are. What was a little bit irksome is that the food wasn't for the actual person who had cancer, but her 15 year old son so that he didn't have to lift a finger to make himself something. Ultimately it was less for my manager to worry about, but you have to wonder why a teenager cannot step up and shoulder some of the household responsibilities when he has a sick parent. My mother was in and out of the hospital multiple times from when I was 8 to about 12, and I knew that there were things I was going to have to do for myself. You'd think that a 15 year old kid could fix himself a simple meal but whatever.

As far as people making it known when they donate their time, money, and services, I've always felt that advertising it was sort of tacky and that it should be kept private. The act is what is important, not how many people know about it.

I did it for my stepdaughter when her husband was sick and out of work. She has two children and one of them could have made meals. My stepdaughter became the sole provider for a bit and I made casseroles and bakery goods for about a month for them just to help them out.

I agree with not making it "public" but to share it with friends and family members on social media might be the easiest way to show them how the app/site works. It looks great for scheduling and everyone can see it online. Maybe it can be done through e-mail? IDK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships