Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Not sure where to put this one, but since I'm already complaining in this category about something else...

Am I the only one who thinks this modern trend of starting "meal trains" for sick friends is a little weird? I mean, I'm down with visiting friends and bringing them whatever they like, but hasn't anyone heard of frozen dinners? I don't cook, myself, and I basically live on those (and I am surviving just fine). I can see bringing a hot meal to eat at mealtime, but for the most part these are homemade, made-from-scratch dinners that go straight from the visiting friend into the sick friend's freezer, so they'll have to be heated up anyway (like, you know, a frozen dinner). So what is the point, exactly? I notice it becoming almost a competition among friends who DO (like to) cook in getting pics of their handiwork on Facebook and trying to outdo one another.

Of course people have historically brought meals in times of trouble, but that was BEFORE convenience food. The alternative back then was whole families starving. Hardly the case today; cooking is optional.

Moderator cut: delete

Is it just me, as usual?
If I'd been forced to eat nasty processed food the whole time I was doing chemo I'm not sure I would have survived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:08 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I realize that bringing food to the sick (and their families) is not new; I said that in my original post. I also realize that the online public entity known as "Meal Train" IS new. That's what this is about. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:11 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
I realize that bringing food to the sick (and their families) is not new; I said that in my original post. I also realize that the online public entity known as "Meal Train" IS new. That's what this is about. Thanks.
Not really, it's just that the banned sites you're referring to are new. Prior to the proliferation of social media sites my wife participated (sometimes called meal wheel) via email and before that via phone.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:17 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Not sure where to put this one, but since I'm already complaining in this category about something else...

Am I the only one who thinks this modern trend of starting "meal trains" for sick friends is a little weird? I mean, I'm down with visiting friends and bringing them whatever they like, but hasn't anyone heard of frozen dinners? I don't cook, myself, and I basically live on those (and I am surviving just fine). I can see bringing a hot meal to eat at mealtime, but for the most part these are homemade, made-from-scratch dinners that go straight from the visiting friend into the sick friend's freezer, so they'll have to be heated up anyway (like, you know, a frozen dinner). So what is the point, exactly? I notice it becoming almost a competition among friends who DO (like to) cook in getting pics of their handiwork on Facebook and trying to outdo one another.

Of course people have historically brought meals in times of trouble, but that was BEFORE convenience food. The alternative back then was whole families starving. Hardly the case today; cooking is optional.

Moderator cut: delete

Is it just me, as usual?
OP again read your post.

While yes you mention this social media "bragging" (though most haven't seen this) and that you are fine with helping out, you do seem to feel personally burdened and offended that people don't just stock up on Lean Cuisines prior to a crisis so as not to depend on others.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:59 AM

26 posts, read 32,161 times
Its as old as the hills and twice as dusty. Its a way of ministering to someone who is sick, troubled, grieving, in a crisis good or bad (new baby means sleep deprived) to ideally get good nutrition into them to help their immune system, and take away the worry of feeding themselves and/ or guests.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:23 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I certainly wouldn't let people bragging stop me from helping out. I never saw anyone doing that, but if it happened that's on them...... Would seem a shame to punish the sick person for other's behavior.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-07-2017, 12:39 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Motives.

You know someone is doing it for selfish reasons if they have to tell others about it. These days "tell others" means social media.

Really, folks, do it quietly, anonymously (if possible), or dont do it at all. You're not fooling anyone!

Old 08-07-2017, 01:20 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,123 times
Oops. Thought this was some new fad about getting on a train and going for a ride while being served some special meal.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Motives.

You know someone is doing it for selfish reasons if they have to tell others about it. These days "tell others" means social media.

Really, folks, do it quietly, anonymously (if possible), or dont do it at all. You're not fooling anyone!
So you'd be fine eating food anonymously left on your doorstep?

The point of coordinating these efforts has been documented in numerous posts. That's the purpose of the app. That a few people are supposedly "bragging" doesn't negate the need or the intent of most participants. To disregard that is to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:04 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times
If the major complaint here is that those who prepare meals "brag" about it on social media, that has NO bearing whatsoever on the benefit to the person(s) getting the meals. I have participated in similar things, and I have never minded a picture or title like "Bev's Delicious Peach Cobbler." I don't know if the OP is talking about something beyond that. But to get irritated is sort of over-reaction, IMO. I mean, if you want to participate, fine--YOU'D be doing it selflessly, I assume. What other people do is immaterial, if there is a friend in need.

And I'd like to add that I have a neighbor that has left a bag of groceries on our doorstep whenever we've had a death in the family (it's been a rough year), and it has been so helpful. I can't think of a kinder thing to do in those circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships