Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I realize that bringing food to the sick (and their families) is not new; I said that in my original post. I also realize that the online public entity known as "Meal Train" IS new. That's what this is about. Thanks.
I'm a few days from 58, and growing up, we belonged to the United Methodist Church. But I'm sure all churches did this. The women, pretty much housewives, had a prayer chain set up. If someone needed prayers, Mrs. A would call Mrs B who would call Mrs C...and if one was out (long before answering machines) the woman calling would call the next woman, and tell her to call the missing woman later.

These women would also provide casseroles to families in crisis, and...would also stay at the house of the recently bereaved during the funeral, to help set up the reception, or make sure mourners had someone to greet them if they arrived at the home before the family...or to keep the house safe from break in...yeah, that was a thing for a while.

By the time my dad died in in 1981, this was falling by the wayside. The older women who took this duty seriously were like my grandma's age and dying off, and women my mother's age were working, and it was the advent of the answering machine and telephone solicitation.

Now it's gone.

This app replaces it. To me, this is a case of everything's old that's new again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 11:38 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm a few days from 58, and growing up, we belonged to the United Methodist Church. But I'm sure all churches did this. The women, pretty much housewives, had a prayer chain set up. If someone needed prayers, Mrs. A would call Mrs B who would call Mrs C...and if one was out (long before answering machines) the woman calling would call the next woman, and tell her to call the missing woman later.

These women would also provide casseroles to families in crisis, and...would also stay at the house of the recently bereaved during the funeral, to help set up the reception, or make sure mourners had someone to greet them if they arrived at the home before the family...or to keep the house safe from break in...yeah, that was a thing for a while.

By the time my dad died in in 1981, this was falling by the wayside. The older women who took this duty seriously were like my grandma's age and dying off, and women my mother's age were working, and it was the advent of the answering machine and telephone solicitation.

Now it's gone.

This app replaces it. To me, this is a case of everything's old that's new again.
True enough, although the former lacked the elements of coercion and publicity. That was also a time when, without someone actually cooking a meal, there was nothing to eat. Hardly the case today. I'm all for "helping" in whatever way the person wants and needs and requests. I'm NOT all for imposing a particular kind of "help" - whether needed or wanted or not - too often mostly for the sake of looking good.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
I'm NOT all for imposing a particular kind of "help" - whether needed or wanted or not - too often mostly for the sake of looking good.
Frankly, this ^^^ just speaks to your general outlook and attitude more than anything else.

Unless women in your small town are making meal trains for people who DON'T WANT IT and didn't ask for it solely for the purpose of bragging about it on social media, it sounds like you "too often mostly" just assume the worst about people.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:47 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
True enough, although the former lacked the elements of coercion and publicity. That was also a time when, without someone actually cooking a meal, there was nothing to eat. Hardly the case today. I'm all for "helping" in whatever way the person wants and needs and requests. I'm NOT all for imposing a particular kind of "help" - whether needed or wanted or not - too often mostly for the sake of looking good.
Well my sister and we're talking about the social media duo shall not be named, and she was all for it being used for businesses and marketing, but didn't seem to get if there were no people playing on it there would be no need for marketing on it because there would be no one to market to.

And if people don't toot their own horn, a lot of times others wouldn't know about what they are tooting for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships