Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:12 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
Just have one brother. Yes there should probably be a meeting like this ahead of time to get any BS out of the way, although my brother wouldn't organize it and might not even want to be a part of it. He doesn't like to deal with conflict.
Don't say anything to either of them and if they act up, get as far away from it as possible without it ruining your fun.
By saying something to them (so many people will act out when asked not to anyway) or having a conference with family about them, it's already creating drama. Stay away from it and just go and enjoy yourself. Trust me on this, the less said, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:20 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
I kind of like the idea of warning them both that if they get out of hand, you're going to videotape it and put in Facebook. Along with their names.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I kind of like the idea of warning them both that if they get out of hand, you're going to videotape it and put in Facebook. Along with their names.
That'll just get them stewing. Once they get drunk, they're not going to care anyway.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:49 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Just have one brother. Yes there should probably be a meeting like this ahead of time to get any BS out of the way, although my brother wouldn't organize it and might not even want to be a part of it. He doesn't like to deal with conflict.
BTW if you really care about your brother, if there is drama at the wedding... PLEASE don't adopt an "I told you so" attitude. Just say that you're sorry that your parents ruined his special day, and never talk about it again. If you even hint that you were right about the situation, it will only make your relationship with your brother very awkward and uncomfortable. Just move on.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Would it be possible to have no alchol at the wedding/reception?
This. If there's alcohol there, they won't be fully in control of themselves. The question isn't about warning them not to make a scene. The question you should be asking is how to do damage control, when the inevitable occurs.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:26 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Don't say anything to either of them and if they act up, get as far away from it as possible without it ruining your fun.
By saying something to them (so many people will act out when asked not to anyway) or having a conference with family about them, it's already creating drama. Stay away from it and just go and enjoy yourself. Trust me on this, the less said, the better.
I've had a number of friends who got the parents together and put them on notice. All of them were successful, and the parents went on to be there at family function, a pleasant time for everyone. For years.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:31 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
<>And obviously a wedding is not an appropriate place to get into those issues. So anyway, this will be the first time they are at the same gathering since getting divorced<>
He's not above creating a scene<>
Should I warn them not to pull any crap? Or just let it go and walk away if I end up in the middle of any BS? I would hope they could be mature but not sure especially if alcohol is involved.
A stern talking to would be like being sure the fuse is well planted. No. Your circus but not your monkeys. They are old enough to be responsible adults. Or not.
Back in the old days I would have said, "Be sure you have plenty of film in the movie camera."

Old 08-06-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've had a number of friends who got the parents together and put them on notice. All of them were successful, and the parents went on to be there at family function, a pleasant time for everyone. For years.
That's good.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:52 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
To me, this is your brother's territory. He should be the one to talk to your parents about it. It is his day and all. I think it would mean more coming from him. I definitely think it should be more 'family meeting' style and you should be there as support and to present a united front, but at the end of the day, it isn't your wedding so I don't feel it is necessarily your place to hand out warnings. (Unless asked to do so by your brother.)

Now, on the actual day, if you see things are stirring, I think it is completely acceptable to try to rein one (or both) of them in. But a lecture in advance? Not your place.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:04 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
If they have any sort of class at all they will know to put their son first and keep their petty BS to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships