Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:42 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

OP, if you think back on the history with your parents, have there been other signs of their demanding nature, or narcissism? Has your life with them tended to be all about them? Were they kind and loving, or emotionally distant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 11:58 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
As this type of family dynamic is strange to me I am no expert and possibly you have already tried this approach, but here goes:

Explain your budget and how it is based on your income. Explain what percentage of your budget you CAN afford to send them each year, and maybe help them plan their own budget so it lasts longer. Do not exceed this amount. Explain that if they bankrupt you they won't be able to get ANYTHING from their son in the USA. The income from you will end if this happens and you might be forced to move home and live off them! Basically ask them which they would rather have....some financial help or none? Then stick to your plan. Don't fall for the guilt trip. You are only being a responsible adult...you can help, but you can't solve their problems for them. No one should expect you to beggar yourself.

I know this is a fairly rational approach to an emotional problem, but you have to start "weaning" them off support that isn't sustainable. You are not being selfish by changing the pattern.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-16-2017 at 12:07 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 07:39 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you need to stop this financial hemorrhaging of your bank account/s, before you're really in trouble. It's outrageous, under the circumstances, that they're guilt-tripping you into maintaining their lavish lifestyle. Anyone who owns three homes in a number of countries is living a lavish lifestyle, by definition.

You'll have to tell them firmly, the next time they ask, that you can't help them anymore. No matter what they say, repeat those words. Just keep saying it. Don't offer any explanation, analysis of your economic situation, any impending crisis with your retirement savings, or anything. Just say, "Mom, dad, I'm not able to help you anymore."

If they keep pushing, guilting, and insisting (this is very selfish and narcissistic behavior, btw), break down and say, "Actually, I was going to ask you for help. I thought if you sold one of your three homes, you could pay me back for at least part of the money I've given you, because I'm beginning to run low on emergency savings, myself."

If they blow up, just say something like, "I'm sorry you feel that way. I wish you the best in managing your assets. I need to rebuild my own, after the serious toll all this has taken. Take care. Talk to you later." Hang up. In the future, repeat the "I'm sorry, I'm not able to help you anymore." Do not fall for any attempts to hook you into an argument. Just stick to your line. Psych yourself for this in advance, so you can handle their manipulations calmly and dispassionately. Brace yourself for it.

Good luck, OP! Of course their demands are beyond the pale. So stop giving in. Be polite, but firm. Be a rock.
I often disagree with you on other threads, but I think this is great advice.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:09 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Do you happen to be Asian?
From my understanding this is the culture. Supporting your parents. Heard this issue on other forums.

You are in the US correct. Are they here on green cards? Why are they here when they have 2 other homes over seas?
Too suck off of you? If they are here illegally, have someone turn them in. WOW they are taking entitlement to a whole new level.

You need to take care of yourself or you'll have nothing for your old age.

Do you have siblings?

I think RUTH4TRUTH has a great idea. However that doesn't take in the cultural aspect pf expectation and guilt. If you did her idea, would your parents disown you? Not that that is a bad thing at this point. If they do you were nothing but an ATM for them. Right now they are breaking you financially and won't be happy till you have nothing.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you need to stop this financial hemorrhaging of your bank account/s, before you're really in trouble. It's outrageous, under the circumstances, that they're guilt-tripping you into maintaining their lavish lifestyle. Anyone who owns three homes in a number of countries is living a lavish lifestyle, by definition.

You'll have to tell them firmly, the next time they ask, that you can't help them anymore. No matter what they say, repeat those words. Just keep saying it. Don't offer any explanation, analysis of your economic situation, any impending crisis with your retirement savings, or anything. Just say, "Mom, dad, I'm not able to help you anymore."

If they keep pushing, guilting, and insisting (this is very selfish and narcissistic behavior, btw), break down and say, "Actually, I was going to ask you for help. I thought if you sold one of your three homes, you could pay me back for at least part of the money I've given you, because I'm beginning to run low on emergency savings, myself."

If they blow up, just say something like, "I'm sorry you feel that way. I wish you the best in managing your assets. I need to rebuild my own, after the serious toll all this has taken. Take care. Talk to you later." Hang up. In the future, repeat the "I'm sorry, I'm not able to help you anymore." Do not fall for any attempts to hook you into an argument. Just stick to your line. Psych yourself for this in advance, so you can handle their manipulations calmly and dispassionately. Brace yourself for it.

Good luck, OP! Of course their demands are beyond the pale. So stop giving in. Be polite, but firm. Be a rock.
Good points.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:16 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Do you happen to be Asian?
From my understanding this is the culture. Supporting your parents. Heard this issue on other forums.

You are in the US correct. Are they here on green cards? Why are they here when they have 2 other homes over seas?
Too suck off of you? If they are here illegally, have someone turn them in. WOW they are taking entitlement to a whole new level.

You need to take care of yourself or you'll have nothing for your old age.

Do you have siblings?

I think RUTH4TRUTH has a great idea. However that doesn't take in the cultural aspect pf expectation and guilt. If you did her idea, would your parents disown you? Not that that is a bad thing at this point. If they do you were nothing but an ATM for them. Right now they are breaking you financially and won't be happy till you have nothing.
This is a good point that I didn't think of. But the issue of the OP running out of money still stands, and would need to be addressed. I suppose if push really came to shove, and there were a cultural "dutiful son" issue involved, the OP would then have to tell his parents that if they wanted help from him (which they don't really need), they would have to sell one of their properties, use the proceeds to live off of for some years while he rebuilds his own savings, and then, after they get real and tighten their own belts, a budget could be discussed.

But it sounds like these parents are too young, relatively, to be needing retirement help. Helping parents who have nothing but social security to live off of, is one thing. Helping parents who own 3 properties around the world? Um.....no.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:48 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,547 times
I am retired and my son makes at least 4X my income. I would never ask him for anything. I don't need to, but if I were in need, I would have a hell of a time asking him for money. Parents have children and it is their responsibility to take care of them while they are children. You don't owe parents anything at all. Put on your grown up pants, say no, and live the best life that you can afford.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:12 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
You may find that the only life you are responsible for is your own.

Find a therapist. Have your parents come to a session so that they can "hear" you.

Separations are never easy but they are a part of everyone's life.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:37 PM

510 posts, read 716,675 times
You've done what you can. They are going to suck you dry. You need to stop subsidizing their wasteful lifestyle.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:34 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Dear friend who allowed herself to be taken advantage of family, asked "What if I were dead, what would you do? The family member replied "Find someone else". My friend replied "Consider me dead ! "

As a recovering enabler, Remember the 2nd commandment "Love thy neighbor AS thyself."

It sounds like you have had enough, emotionally bankrupt. Boundaries is excellent as is Dave Ramsey. Support groups as Al-Anon too, to help you quit enabling, decide what is best for you.

Congratulations for acknowledging your behavior; please listen to these Posters who do care about you. Blessings on your new journey of taking care of yourself. You are being self-caring, Not selfish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships