Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 PM

3,158 posts, read 3,341,044 times

Advertisements

I feel so upset over it. Not so much angry but upset & hurt. My SIL talks to my mom like they are close friends and tells her things that are bothering her. When I do it telling my mom things that are bothering me, she tells me that I'm childish and to grow up. For example, My SIL, brother and me recently found an orphaned kitten about 4 weeks old outside while walking around. I think let the Animal control take care of it and might be better off with a surrogate mom. So when I told my mom my feelings about the situation, she got all mad at me and to take turns taking care of the kitten. And saying things like quit acting like children and to grow up. She wasn't too happy when I told her "do you talk like this to my SIL?" I think not.

I know nothing about raising an orphaned kitten other than what I recently checked videos on youtube and google
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 01:45 PM

6,283 posts, read 4,167,740 times
How old are you?

Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 PM

15,129 posts, read 27,678,394 times
You obviously have an issue w/your SIL as you keep posting about things that really aren't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Maybe some introspection and/or therapy would help?

Old 09-20-2017, 02:13 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,840,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I feel so upset over it. Not so much angry but upset & hurt. My SIL talks to my mom like they are close friends and tells her things that are bothering her. When I do it telling my mom things that are bothering me, she tells me that I'm childish and to grow up. For example, My SIL, brother and me recently found an orphaned kitten about 4 weeks old outside while walking around. I think let the Animal control take care of it and might be better off with a surrogate mom. So when I told my mom my feelings about the situation, she got all mad at me and to take turns taking care of the kitten. And saying things like quit acting like children and to grow up. She wasn't too happy when I told her "do you talk like this to my SIL?" I think not.

I know nothing about raising an orphaned kitten other than what I recently checked videos on youtube and google
Your mother has been like this towards you for as long as you've known her. You've made multiple threads about this. You knew exactly what to expect from her, but the bigger question is why haven't you changed your expectations, actions/reactions?

With that said, if you do not want to deal with a kitty, then by all means, back out and have nothing to do with it. Your brother and his wife made the decision to deal with the kitty. Your mother's opinion means absolutely nothing here-- but she is free to "take turns" if she likes.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:45 PM

3,158 posts, read 3,341,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
How old are you?
30's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You obviously have an issue w/your SIL as you keep posting about things that really aren't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Maybe some introspection and/or therapy would help?
Maybe I'm jealous bc shes shares her life & inside jokes with my mom and my sister at the time excludes me unless shes wants something from me like babysitting

Old 09-20-2017, 02:50 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,161,168 times
Quote:
Amen.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:59 PM

16,392 posts, read 12,409,088 times
Maybe the difference is in HOW you and SIL communicate your problems and concerns to mom. It's possible that you come off more childish than she does. We can't know for sure.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:01 PM

16,392 posts, read 12,409,088 times
Quote:
And the posting patterns are probably an indication of why mom feels the way she does.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 PM

6,809 posts, read 10,476,476 times
I would echo the response that perhaps it is in the 'how' of communicating rather than what you are communicating. When I read your threads I think I am reading something from a teenager rather than adult, so you may have a 'young' communication style that is unfortunately rubbing your mother the wrong way and not getting the results you hope for. You cannot control your mother or her responses and cannot change her. So I'd advise you to either just let it go and move on, or work on what you can change - yourself. You might try taking a communication course or talking to a counselor or therapist about how to handle your jealousy and hurt feelings over your SIL having a better relationship and more love/respect from your mother than you feel like you get.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:27 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,626,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Your mother has been like this towards you for as long as you've known her. You've made multiple threads about this. You knew exactly what to expect from her, but the bigger question is why haven't you changed your expectations, actions/reactions?

With that said, if you do not want to deal with a kitty, then by all means, back out and have nothing to do with it. Your brother and his wife made the decision to deal with the kitty. Your mother's opinion means absolutely nothing here-- but she is free to "take turns" if she likes.
Most parents treat their children like children when they are children. However, in most cases the relationship matures when the child grows into an adult and the conversations are more adult-oriented conversations. From everything I've read from the OP, it doesn't sound like she's progressed to that phase yet of having "adult" conversations. She seems to be very much stuck in that HS mode of tit for tat. My guess is that if the OP starts acting like an adult, her mom will start treating her that way.

What's worse is that the SIL didn't grow up in this family, knows nothing about it, and is somehow being stuck in the middle by no fault of her own.

I know I had a super brief but similar incident back in the day when my sister and I were in our 20s. We had a short period where we lived together in a tiny apartment with inadequate cooling and got stuck having juvenile squabbles all the time. People found us to be insufferable/juvenile because we'd just talk about each other incessantly. It was as if we'd descended into middle school; however, it was really just a matter of two grown adults being crammed into one <500sqft living space after not having to live that closely with people for some time. Our mother was so sick of both of us. Afterward, we joked that we were lucky to make it out alive. If the OP is acting like that... ALL THE TIME... then I can see what the problem was. No one wanted to be around us. No one. No one wanted to talk to us either. We were just the worst. It was just like we were consumed with hating each other. It was not normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships