Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 06:09 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
For those of you getting mail at your address for someone else - why aren't you writing "not at this address" (no such person/business at this address - or something along those lines?) on it? You all keep writing "No such address" there IS! Yours!
Exactly my thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 08:46 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
For those of you getting mail at your address for someone else - why aren't you writing "not at this address" (no such person/business at this address - or something along those lines?) on it? You all keep writing "No such address" there IS! Yours!
For me anyway there is no such address. I get mail delivered at my address, for over 20 years on occasion for an non existence address 25 miles away.

Example (name and address fictional but example)

My address: 1300 Candy Lane N, Red Lake, MN, 55330

Address on envelopes : Important Bank of Minnesota, 1300 Candy Lane South, Biggie Town, MN 55672.

For some reason the post office don't pay attention to different city and zip and sort it to my street address, similar but different, ie: North and South.

There is no 1300 Candy Lane South, Biggie Town, MN. The Bank address on Candy Lane South is 1432 Candy Lane South. But I am not going to correct the address and forward there my self for important banking, insurance, 401k paper work. Not my business. I have accidentally open this mail and have taped it closed and returned to sender. With big bold black markings on it. We are not even in same city or zip code as the Important Bank of Minnesota.

OP, sorry if I'm stealing your thread but this is an example of incompetence which I tried several times to get resolved and just didn't work so I just do what I do. They are lucky I just don't give up and throw it away.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:02 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I work front desk for a steel company, so I am often at my desk when the mail arrives. In addition to the business I work for, we also have a space in our front building (with a different street number) that we've rented out to various small businesses over the years, usually to welding supply places. We just had one business vacate that space and a new one come in. About 12 years ago we got the address number changed for that space so that whoever was renting it would get their mail instead of us receiving it.

Yesterday, in addition to our mail, we received an envelope from Spectrum (the company that took over Time Warner Cable) that was addressed to the recently-departed business, CW, as well as to someone who must be the manager, but to our street address (we are 566, CW is 564). I caught it just as the carrier was walking out the door, and I hailed him back, saying "this isn't ours." He pointed out that it was addressed to 566 - well, 566 is OUR address, 564 is theirs, a fact that seemed to be completely lost on him.

After he left, I wrote "return to Sender, no longer at this address" and this morning put it in with our outgoing mail. When he walked in he asked me if I had looked at that piece of mail from yesterday, and I said I had put "Return to sender" on it and put it in the outgoing mail. I repeated the fact that it is not OUR MAIL just because it was addressed to our address. It is addressed to a business that was our tenant down front, nothing else, no other connection. They are gone now, and another business has taken their place. It's not our job to hunt these people down and get their mail to them. He asked to speak to our company president, who was on the phone at the time, and he said he would try to speak to him tomorrow.

I don't know what there is to speak about. I did what every reference I can find on the subject says to do when you get mail that is not addressed to you, I put RTS on it and put it back in the system. Hell, I get mail from time to time at my home address that isn't addressed to me, but has my full address verbatim on the front, with the name of a former tenant. And it clearly is not junk mail. I just put RTS on it and mail it.

This guy is not a sub, either. He is a career Regular City Carrier and has been working the route we are on for 6,7 years now. You would think he would know the Postal regulations regarded mis-delivered or wrongly-addressed mail.

/rant
Your carrier does not sort the mail. He only delivers it. This particular letter went back into the sorting system and the automated sorting system re-sorted it to your business. First, take a black magic marker and cover the automation bar code. Second, do the same thing with the address number. Then drop the letter in a collection box.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Walking it down what hall?????

Because doing a change of address on a former tenant (whether a business or someone who lived in our apartment house) is not our job. Their rent checks came from a 3rd party bill payer (most likely their corporate office), not from the space they used to rent out.

The USPS doesn't allow you to file a COA form for someone even if you know their address, either. It would have to be a POA situation or similar.

I wasn't escalating anything, only calmly repeating to him that "this is not our mail" the first day, and stating point blank that we were sending it back RTS. He is the one trying to escalate things, by threatening to speak to the head of the company about it.

Looks like we wussed out today. Hopefully an internal chill pill will kick in over the weekend and he'll forget all about it. I know I'm not going to worry any more about it!
The addressee is in the suite next door (or did I read that wrong). I thought you wanted him to walk it next door. Why is it such a big deal to write a note on it and put it in the outgoing mail? I think you're making a big deal out of nothing.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:19 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The addressee is in the suite next door (or did I read that wrong). I thought you wanted him to walk it next door. Why is it such a big deal to write a note on it and put it in the outgoing mail? I think you're making a big deal out of nothing.
Actually, it's the mailman who is making a big deal out of nothing.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I work front desk for a steel company, so I am often at my desk when the mail arrives. In addition to the business I work for, we also have a space in our front building (with a different street number) that we've rented out to various small businesses over the years, usually to welding supply places. We just had one business vacate that space and a new one come in. About 12 years ago we got the address number changed for that space so that whoever was renting it would get their mail instead of us receiving it.

Yesterday, in addition to our mail, we received an envelope from Spectrum (the company that took over Time Warner Cable) that was addressed to the recently-departed business, CW, as well as to someone who must be the manager, but to our street address (we are 566, CW is 564). I caught it just as the carrier was walking out the door, and I hailed him back, saying "this isn't ours." He pointed out that it was addressed to 566 - well, 566 is OUR address, 564 is theirs, a fact that seemed to be completely lost on him.

After he left, I wrote "return to Sender, no longer at this address" and this morning put it in with our outgoing mail. When he walked in he asked me if I had looked at that piece of mail from yesterday, and I said I had put "Return to sender" on it and put it in the outgoing mail. I repeated the fact that it is not OUR MAIL just because it was addressed to our address. It is addressed to a business that was our tenant down front, nothing else, no other connection. They are gone now, and another business has taken their place. It's not our job to hunt these people down and get their mail to them. He asked to speak to our company president, who was on the phone at the time, and he said he would try to speak to him tomorrow.

I don't know what there is to speak about. I did what every reference I can find on the subject says to do when you get mail that is not addressed to you, I put RTS on it and put it back in the system. Hell, I get mail from time to time at my home address that isn't addressed to me, but has my full address verbatim on the front, with the name of a former tenant. And it clearly is not junk mail. I just put RTS on it and mail it.

This guy is not a sub, either. He is a career Regular City Carrier and has been working the route we are on for 6,7 years now. You would think he would know the Postal regulations regarded mis-delivered or wrongly-addressed mail.

/rant
It's hard to tell from the post what your tone was, but I'm guessing he is going to talk to your higher ups about your attitude. Why did you berate him? He delivers mail as it is addressed. period. That's what he did. What did you expect him to do with it?

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 09-23-2017 at 07:38 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
It's hard to tell from the post what your tone was, but I'm guessing he is going to talk o your higher ups about your attitude. Why did you berate him? He delivers mail as it is addressed. period. That's what he did. What did you expect him to do with it?
She wanted him to accept the outgoing mail without challenging her. She marked it RTS and handed it to him. His job is to accept it and take it to the post office to be sorted and sent on its happy way back to the sender. For some reason, he didn't want to do that, despite the fact that it's his job.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
She wanted him to accept the outgoing mail without challenging her. She marked it RTS and handed it to him. His job is to accept it and take it to the post office to be sorted and sent on its happy way back to the sender. For some reason, he didn't want to do that, despite the fact that it's his job.
As I understand it, she looked at it, and tried to hand it back. She didn't write on it until after he left. With nothing written on it, it would have come back to her after being processed again. It isn't the mail carrier's job to write return to sender on it. The OP seemed very vocal about it not being their mail, blah blah blah, not just once, but also the next day. She is the one that made it a big thing, not him. Now she's here complaining that he didn't know the procedure. He did, and he followed it.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
As I understand it, she looked at it, and tried to hand it back. She didn't write on it until after he left. With nothing written on it, it would have come back to her after being processed again. It isn't the mail carrier's job to write return to sender on it. The OP seemed very vocal about it not being their mail, blah blah blah, not just once, but also the next day. She is the one that made it a big thing, not him. Now she's here complaining that he didn't know the procedure. He did, and he followed it.
Quote:
Even after she wrote RTS on the envelope, he still did not want to take it. Once it had RTS on it and was in outgoing mail, he should have accepted it with no further comment.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:10 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Even after she wrote RTS on the envelope, he still did not want to take it. Once it had RTS on it and was in outgoing mail, he should have accepted it with no further comment.
No, that’s not what the OP said. The OP said she told the mailman what she had done and then began to berate him/chew him out. I assume the mailman considered the tirade to be verbal abuse and that’s why he wanted to speak to her superior.

I doubt the mailman’s regular duties included picking up the company’s outgoing mail. That’s what mailboxes are for. Even if it did, why would the mailman waste time reading all the envelopes? He would just want to finish his rounds as soon as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships