Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:41 PM

36 posts, read 17,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Err yes lol, I've had several friends do that because they are wondering if there is a good art community for me, and one friend worried there might be bears and worries about me.. as for nosy parkers I have no clue I don't work with people who pry into my financial situation. Who am I to decide the op is fibbing or not, take it as said and focus on deflecting issue

Thanks for sharing that people will in fact go to great lengths to know what's what and these people are your friends and had great concern for you. Regarding your not having to deal with nosy parkers, you can consider yourself VERY, VERY lucky because I am here to tell you it happens and will probably continue to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Excellent post! Great way to keep private plans private in a friendly way. I agree, lots of folks close to retirement are curious as to what options their coworkers are taking.

I don't care for the standard "why do you ask" response. It comes off as belligerent IMO.

Yes, I totally agree. Great responses and very helpful, no all I have to do it practice the ones that closely related to my personality!

Old 10-02-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
These strike me as being the types of questions that anyone who would like to retire early would ask themselves. When people dream about retirement they are trying to visualize what retirement might be like and how and when they could handle retirement financially. Hearing how you answer the same questions may help them to develop answers to their own retirement concerns. I think that’s why many ask the questions. They wouldn’t say that to you though.

When colleagues have told me their retirement plans over the years, my mind always immediately shifted to putting myself in their shoes and pondering whether those plans appealed to me personally as part of my own retirement plan. That was helpful. I retired at age 53.

If those co-workers are indifferent to your future well being, why would they care enough to be malicious? Sure, I imagine many of them might wish they could retire, too. Have you never wished you could have retired earlier yourself?

You missed the point. A few feel that way sure, and you can get a sense for those who do, but I work around people who are more concerned with being in the "know" about some one else's plans and their attitude, when they're not around that person, it not one of kindness, concern and full of " boy, I wish I could learn from them how they did it", quite the opposite. Witnessed it over and over again, first hand. Sorry, but you need to get your head out of that bag friend.....

Old 10-02-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Another one that I've used when boundaries were being crossed and the questioner won't get the point is: "That's kind of personal, don't you think?" with a laugh and a smile. That's not quite as blunt as "Nunya bidness" but heading in that direction.

Yeah, I would never say none of your business. This response it more my style, thanks again.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I am retiring from federal service in December and not a day goes by that one of my co-workers asks what I'm going to do, why am I retiring, etc. They JUST DO NOT GET IT.

I just tell them I've worked a total of 42 years, my husband is retired and STILL gets up with me to take me to work. I tell them we are BOTH finally retiring.

I'll be glad when I'm out of there and the work environment. They are some who are clearly jealous, some happy for me, etc.

That first day....oh I will be sooo happy!

You're getting outta here before me and I'm HAPPY that someone is getting away from the vultures. It's crazy isn't it. How all the sudden people who could have cared less about your life as long as you are working alone side them in the daily grind, are now living and breathing just to know what YOU are going to be doing with YOUR life when you retire. Ha! All the best to you and I hope you have a very happy and long life with your husband!!! Not much longer,,,,,,,,,YIPPEE for you!!!

Old 10-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
See? That was easy.

LOL!!! You're right, nothing to think about at all....just I don't know!!!!

Old 10-02-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This doesn't sound like prying to me. It sounds like people trying to be supportive. I suppose it depends on who's doing the asking; casual acquaintances/co-workers, or closer friends and relatives.
Pretty much casual acquaintances and co-workers. Those closer to me know everything and I gladly share with them because they are apart of my inner circle. Trust me its prying, only they do it in a sneaky way. Ha!

Old 10-02-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Yes!!! One person comes to my mind right away: Interested for nosy, competitive, jealousy-prone reasons vs actually being a concerned friend. This kind of person has no use for you unless they want to know something. And they're NEVER happy for your successes!

"Make sure everybody in your boat is rowing, and not drilling holes when you're not looking. Know your circle."

"Make sure everybody in your boat is rowing, and not drilling holes when you're not looking. Know your circle." Love this!!! Not going to give bullets to someone holding a gun to my head! Ha!

Old 10-02-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Read this one twice! I've been on both sides of it - lots of us have.

Unless the OP has embezzled her retirement nest egg from the company there's no reason to be as secretive as it seems she wants to be.

Says who? Why should one be so "OPEN" with people, very much like yourself, who really don't care!?

Old 10-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I wound up "retired" early (actually, it was disability, but I don't like to discuss my medical issues), and I get asked that a lot.

What are you going to do? Anything I please!
How can you afford it? We're planning to die young.

Oh my goodness, I LOVE your last response!! Classic, thanks for the laugh!!! Regarding questions about your medical issues, you would think people have enough sense NOT to ask questions they shouldn't but we live in a very different world now and you have to literally mark out the boundary lines for people now days. Sad.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships