Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times

Advertisements

Picture it : parents don't get along with daughter in law. Daughter in law secretly plans birthday party for her husband with brother in law (parents older son), at brother in law's house, and parents are neither told, nor invited. Should the parents feel disrespected? Should there be hurt feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 11:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Picture it : parents don't get along with daughter in law. Daughter in law secretly plans birthday party for her husband with brother in law (parents older son), at brother in law's house, and parents are neither told, nor invited. Should the parents feel disrespected? Should there be hurt feelings?
If they found out after the fact, then I wouldn't be surprised if they were hurt by their older son-- unless they too are estranged from the older son. If not, it does seem strange he would go along with this.

As for DIL and the parents, it's already a difficult situation and the non invitation only fuels it. Of course there's going to be hurt feelings.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:08 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,017 times
OP The very obvious answer is yes.
But....... what's the purpose of the thread?

Old 09-29-2017, 11:27 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Thanks for the replies. Purpose of the thread: just looking for unbiased opinions because the mother was told it's no big deal and there is no reason to be upset, which I completely disagree with.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Well ....

I much prefer getting together with my sisters- and brothers-in-law WITHOUT my parents-in-law being there. We don't get along that great either, but it's because they are pretty self-centered and don't understand ANY of the jokes & cultural references we share, etc.

So I can understand having a birthday party that was just our peers ... people our own age ... without inviting the parents.

But I would also have some kind of family get-together they were invited to.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:04 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Not necessarily. Depends on the type of party it was. If it’s a night of 20-something friends sitting around getting drunk, I wouldn’t assume that parents are invited or would even want to be.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:10 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
It all depends on what the family expects of birthdays. In our family, totally unimportant. We get together whenever.

If the parents expect to be invited to every single party for every single event, well that is pretty much something they need to get over because of the needs of new families with their own parents and other relatives. Just wait for the Xmas fireworks.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:34 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
It was a sneaky, disrespectful and not helpful in family relationships in the long term. She could have arranged a small afternoon birthday lunch with the parents at a restaurant that is naturally time limited and then a party for her husband that is for his peer group.

What the wife did was put her husband in an awkward situation with his parents.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:35 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Yes, I can see the parents being somewhat hurt at being deliberately left out, especially if they had said, "Oh, what are you doing for your birthday?" and the party people had been evasive. After all, he wouldn't be having a birthday if it wasn't for them. :-)

Hard to judge the relationship between the daughter-in-law and the parents -- it could be a nasty DIL, or it could be difficult parents. If nasty DIL, then shame on her. If difficult parents, then what do they expect for not embracing DIL?

Old 09-30-2017, 06:20 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Yes, I can see the parents being somewhat hurt at being deliberately left out, especially if they had said, "Oh, what are you doing for your birthday?" and the party people had been evasive. After all, he wouldn't be having a birthday if it wasn't for them. :-)

Hard to judge the relationship between the daughter-in-law and the parents -- it could be a nasty DIL, or it could be difficult parents. If nasty DIL, then shame on her. If difficult parents, then what do they expect for not embracing DIL?

I agree , hard to judge but I do think if the parents are difficult then the dil being sneaky is not helping, she could simply arrange a special lunch date for her husband and just his parents. It's not the lack of invitation as much as being secretive 😟
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships