Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:50 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Dumb question: what are they praying for? Shyte already happened, to late for praying or am i wrong? Pray so they go to heaven?
Well I am a Christian and believe prayer is effective, so that's a caveat I suppose. But I pray for the families of the victims and their comfort and peace while they grieve.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:57 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Well I am a Christian and believe prayer is effective, so that's a caveat I suppose. But I pray for the families of the victims and their comfort and peace while they grieve.
I completely respect your choice to pray for their comfort and peace. I understand that probably makes you feel better to do so. But as far as the families actually receiving comfort and peace, why wouldn't the higher power just go ahead and give it to them anyway without you praying for it? Shouldn't it go without saying that they need it?

Old 10-02-2017, 03:59 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellaNo View Post
I do it because people need help. I don't do it for me. If everyone "gave back" the world would be a kinder place.
And I agree that it’s a great reason to volunteer. But it doesn’t help this specific situation. So it’s tough to criticize prayer for not helping the situation when the volunteering doesn’t either.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t volunteer. Just like people shouldn’t NOT pray.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
It only bothers me that people make posts such as the one the OP mentions when it comes from politicians. Save your prayers, and DO something. I do understand why ordinary Americans find comfort in prayer, I just don't happen to be one of them.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:07 PM

24 posts, read 28,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It only bothers me that people make posts such as the one the OP mentions when it comes from politicians. Save your prayers, and DO something. I do understand why ordinary Americans find comfort in prayer, I just don't happen to be one of them.
Some people post that stuff just to make themselves feel better because they are too lazy to do anything that would actually help

Old 10-02-2017, 04:15 PM

534 posts, read 489,342 times
Quote:
This is definitely more of a rant than anything. Today I was scrolling through social media and see people posting "Pray for Vegas" photos. You know the ones - whenever something bad happens, terrorist attack, earthquake, etc - people love to post those photos. I find it annoying. Why? Because.. Doing that won't do anything! I'm big into volunteering for different causes or donating blood, etc. I see people post these stupid photos and I know for a fact they would never volunteer for a good cause. How about do something to make a real difference? I don't know this superficial stuff- it just annoys me.
If you look beyond the action (the postings), you'll see that these people are just trying to relieve their feelings of helplessness, rage, powerlessness, grief. In the moment, perhaps all that seems available to them is to post on FB. It's their path of least resistance to feeling better. Volunteering or an action that seems obvious to you may not be within their awareness to do, for whatever reason.

They are, in their own way, just 'ranting', like you. Ranting is not a bad thing...it's like letting the lid off the pot enough to let some steam pressure out that has been building and suddenly feels intolerable to just be with it.

If you look at your own posting in that way, you can probably understand exactly what and why the people who annoy you are doing. There's a very human need to connect; sometimes we do it out of love and joy, sometimes out of fear and despair, but in the end, it's always just a human wanting to feel better and connect, to share, to relate, which is a beautiful thing!

Old 10-02-2017, 04:19 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
This is definitely more of a rant than anything. Today I was scrolling through social media and see people posting "Pray for Vegas" photos. You know the ones - whenever something bad happens, terrorist attack, earthquake, etc - people love to post those photos. I find it annoying. Why? Because.. Doing that won't do anything! I'm big into volunteering for different causes or donating blood, etc. I see people post these stupid photos and I know for a fact they would never volunteer for a good cause. How about do something to make a real difference? I don't know this superficial stuff- it just annoys me.
I agree 1000% and not just because I'm an atheist. Talk is cheap, prayer is even cheaper because no one is listening IMO. Get off your backside and call your senator to get gun laws passed or donate blood.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:27 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I completely respect your choice to pray for their comfort and peace. I understand that probably makes you feel better to do so. But as far as the families actually receiving comfort and peace, why wouldn't the higher power just go ahead and give it to them anyway without you praying for it? Shouldn't it go without saying that they need it?
^^^this

Old 10-02-2017, 04:28 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Thread is closed as there are threads in the appropriate forums about the Vegas incident. Please check Current events and the Religion forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships