Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 01:06 PM

34,914 posts, read 31,030,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's unprofessional to air dirty laundry in front of customers. But it's going to happen because it's a barbershop.

There's likely growing resentment if the 90 y/o calls out sick a lot and the 67 y/o is frequently left scrambling to pick up the slack. He can't let him go for health reasons, and it's possible that he can't afford to hire someone else because he's already paying the 90 y/o.

Compassion is all fine and good, but the man is trying to run a business. The actions of the 90 y/o directly impact his livelihood. Sounds like the 90 y/o needs to start giving some thought to whether retiring would be a good idea.
If he is that down, he should probably thinking about it hanging it up. Maybe something has just happened in the last few weeks - I don't know, but the younger barber seemed very serious and irritated. The older man seemed fine when I saw him a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
I agree that Barber 90 should consider hanging up his clippers. But Barber 67, now the owner of the establishment, needs to handle it privately with his longtime coworker.

Somehow, I doubt this joint has such a traffic jam of gossip-loving clientele that they're backing up out of the cattle chute waiting to be "part of the show." It doesn't sound "good-natured." It's mean and tacky.

But then, I'm the wrong gender to be admitted to this boy's den anyway. I don't hang out at the "beauty parlor" either, but I'd have the same opinion of a woman doing this.
What's funny is the younger man has been complaining that barbers are all dying off around here, but he had to cut twenty people a few days ago and couldn't handle it. Can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,485,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
<>Him and his wife flew to Arizona by themselves to see the grandkids last year.<>
Now that's impressive.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:44 PM

6,279 posts, read 4,160,014 times
well did you say anything back, because I would have.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,216,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Sounded harmless to me as well but I think some people just look for things to complain about lol
Agree.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:27 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,925,876 times
I go to a barber shop that is owned by two men; one old (maybe late 60s) and one young (late 20s/early 30s, I guess).
The older only works Thursdays now, or to give the younger time off.
The younger seldom has anything to say about the older, usually only when asked a direct question, and then never has anything the least bit bad to say about him.
Normal topics of conversation are guns, hunting, fishing, and (when I am in the chair) Ham Radio or old aircraft.
I am very glad my barber is not a babbling gossip!

Old 10-12-2017, 03:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,551,855 times
In the photo you posted, I think you had a round que-ball buzz cut with about one-eighth or one-sixteenth of an inch of hair - all buzzed off all over. Not relevant to the question (maybe) but just remembering. It appeared not to be a cut, but a buzzed off style with an electric shaver gizmo. Maybe you've changed it :^)

Old 10-12-2017, 05:34 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,612,112 times
Not so much rude, as stupid. Does not the 67 year-old understand it is amazing a 90 year-old works at all?

Old 10-12-2017, 05:45 PM

15,243 posts, read 12,870,379 times
Why would any sensible adult try to get in the middle of whatever-it-is-that's-going-on between two people who are surely not children any more?

Oh.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 PM

16,384 posts, read 12,379,284 times
Quote:
If he is that down, he should probably thinking about it hanging it up. Maybe something has just happened in the last few weeks - I don't know, but the younger barber seemed very serious and irritated. The older man seemed fine when I saw him a few weeks ago.
Perhaps he wouldn't have to hang it up if he had a reliable employee who he didn't have to cover for.

Quote:
What's funny is the younger man has been complaining that barbers are all dying off around here, but he had to cut twenty people a few days ago and couldn't handle it. Can't have it both ways.
The fact that he had to cut twenty people and couldn't handle it definitely makes it sound like he's overworked because he's doing the work of two people.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:26 AM

17,117 posts, read 21,777,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don't find it rude and unprofessional. I can just picture this old school barbershop with a bunch of men sitting around gossiping, complaining about wives, bragging about kids and grandkids, talking about last night's game, etc. Totally appropriate for an old school barbershop.
100% spot on!

Stop with political correctness as it is turning America into a land of sissies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships