Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 04:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa.Nichols View Post
@purehuman The unwritten rule is "couples/families welcome"
so if you brought a friend you'd be couple wouldn't you?
They DID ask you to come did they not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 07:21 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
So shoot them down. Tell them you aren't that needy, and you don't feel alone.
That may back fire all to hell!

Old 10-27-2017, 07:26 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Just reply, "Unlike so many women, I'm neither desperate nor willing to 'settle'." Then give them a wink.
Word would get around that she said that and she would get “destroyed” by all the other women there!

Old 10-27-2017, 08:58 PM

15 posts, read 11,009 times
@Jowel Couples range between 24 to 40, most of them around my age. I am 28.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:44 PM

@JanND

As soon as some of my colleagues found out about my status (I never said a word but they assumed it after not mentioning anything to them about a boyfriend) they either offered to match me up with a friend or said things like "The older you get, things will be done much faster", "Focus on finding the guy" and other BS like that.

Colleagues have told me insensitive things from time to time, like "Are you doing [this thing] alone?" (*surprised*), or "Are you buying [this thing] for just one person?".

Others talk to me assuming that I am in a relationship. I never bother to correct them, I think it will shock them.

I won't even talk about the intrusive nature of relatives/strangers or the pressure I get from friends.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 PM

The thing is that when I told some of them I might not go, they were clearly annoyed. They might think of me as a snob for not joining them.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:40 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Just a quick question:

I am a single girl invited by my colleagues to a barbecue event where almost everyone (99%) is bringing their significant other/family. I have no one to bring with me. If I go, I will most certainly feel awkward/ashamed for being the single person among couples. Even worse, I might feel judged. So far I didn't have a problem with my status, but lately everyone around me (family, friends, colleagues) is repeatedly bringing this subject up, to the point they've made me very aware of it. Although I like my colleagues very much and I don't want to disappoint them by not joining the event, I don't know what I need to protect most. My good connection to them or my feelings?
Don't worry about it.

* The divorce rate is about 50%.
* Those people who do not get divorced still have an infidelity rate of about 50%.
* So, the odds of a marriage that (1) does not lead to divorce and (2) does not lead to infidelity is
only about 25%.
* There are more single moms than married moms under the age of 30.
* The divorce rate of single moms who go into a 2nd marriage is about 66%.

These are horrible statistics. To make the odds in your favor, read the book by Wendy Jaffe,
"Divorce Lawyers Guide to Staying Married."

You don't have to rush into it because of peer pressure. Those people who pressure you to do that
could easily get divorced or have an event of infidelity within the next 5-10 years anyway.

Here, a middle-aged husband in a mid-life crisis quits (loses) his job. Then his wife grudgingly
becomes the sole income source. The dinner argument scene is classic. Many marriages are like
that behind the scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED7_y4jETo0

Old 10-28-2017, 12:03 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Go long enough to make an appearance and then leave early saying you have another engagement. You are single so you can get away with the "my social life is so busy!" excuse. LOL

While you are there make it a point to chat up the wives and play with a few cute kids. That should help you avoid trouble.
I have to say that is an excellent post though she is in a different country and the cultural standards may be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Doesn't that drastically change the context of the question? You're received what, a dozen American answers based on our various norms and people's experiences therein? Land of the free, where people are noted for their independence and self-confidence, especially ever more liberated women (and thank God, "you've come a long way, baby!" ...as they used to say).

HOWEVER: still, to this day, I've watched single women, including one of my best friends, shrink like wilted violets as odd-woman-out at such events. Even when I'm there as platonic date to help her save face, it does not: she's a rain cloud and people comment to me about it, after, and it's starting to become a significant social problem as no one wants to deal with her sob stories BS. Mostly because she cares, but then again: others do too, or they'd not comment about it.

...snipped....

Uhmm...?
Good post. I was a single woman/parent for 15 years and dated the same fellow for 10. (Another story but a good one). I attended many functions alone and sometimes with him. Single or with a companion, I hated doing either as I hate crowds and am not socially comfortable in them. I always liked going alone because I could leave after a decent interval, pleading the children at home requiring my presence.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:45 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
I would go to the event with an open mind - you could make a great new friend there! And if the vibe does not feel right or friendly, make your escape and go do something fun on your own.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:38 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,444 times
Default reply

Quote:
Hello everyone.

Just a quick question:

I am a single girl invited by my colleagues to a barbecue event where almost everyone (99%) is bringing their significant other/family. I have no one to bring with me. If I go, I will most certainly feel awkward/ashamed for being the single person among couples. Even worse, I might feel judged. So far I didn't have a problem with my status, but lately everyone around me (family, friends, colleagues) is repeatedly bringing this subject up, to the point they've made me very aware of it. Although I like my colleagues very much and I don't want to disappoint them by not joining the event, I don't know what I need to protect most. My good connection to them or my feelings?
Exactly why being single (at times I was ) in NYC was the norm. I go back down to the South and am looked at like a total Wh*re. I am not sure what part of the USA you are in. I liked the idea of making a quick hello. But since you said it is 3 to 4 hours away I may skip it. They will not punish you for it and know it is b/c you are single and be AOK with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships