Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:59 PM

29 posts, read 24,276 times

Advertisements

My Aunt who is the same age as me (27) constantly bullies me into doing things for her. She demanded that I get her some pizza and pick up her baby from my Grandfather, when I didn't she snapped again and said "hand me my baby.." First I've been sick with the flu and a please from her would had been nice, but I find she always bosses me around when coming over. I did nothing to **** her off and when she acts interested or asks me about my life, she just ends up ignoring me when saying something..literally just sitting there blank faced. What would you do and how do I stand up to her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM

11,143 posts, read 7,907,176 times
I'd tell her to go pound sand. Once you put up with with that kind of thing, you are enabling that sort of behavior. Get your own dang pizza, and go pick up your own kid. What's she going to do if you stand up to her? Have a little self respect.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,495,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I'd tell her to go pound sand. Once you put up with with that kind of thing, you are enabling that sort of behavior. Get your own dang pizza, and go pick up your own kid. What's she going to do if you stand up to her? Have a little self respect.
Agree with this. People learn what you will put up with. She sounds like a bossy person who is used to others doing things for her. So stop. If you both routinely did those types of things for one another that would be totally different. Sounds like she is training you to be her servant.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:09 PM

29 posts, read 24,276 times
Honestly that is what it sounds like (training you to be her servant) She does tend to be verbally and physically aggressive when snapping back. I'm moving 2 hours away after getting married so, I won't be putting up with her **** anymore. Choked from laughing at the idea of telling her to pound sand, I'd love to see her reaction after that. The last time I told her off was when she kept asking me to do crap, till I twisted my ankle going down the stairs. After that I lost my **** when she started getting snotty at me yelling in pain. I responded "Why keep calling my phone and asking me to do all this ****? I let the dog out 5 minutes ago and you want me to let him out of the cage when you could do that yourself." So for the past 10 minutes it was a screaming match of us cursing at each other, till I finally ignored her. The only time she doesn't mess with me or gets cowardly to throw demands is when I'm done up in makeup strangely. I'll admit that I need to stand up to her, but I don't feel like throwing claws should she come at me. She has done this before and I had to grab her arms and shove her into a doorknob to stop the fight. (I was 19 at the time) Being an adult and in front of a baby I don't want a physical confrontation.. :/ (she does have anger issues.)

Last edited by Starlightsfall; 11-01-2017 at 08:29 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 08:39 PM

6,282 posts, read 4,166,669 times
Stay out of her way, ignore, don't respond, leave the room,wear make up all the time

Old 11-02-2017, 12:21 AM

30,371 posts, read 16,094,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightsfall View Post
My Aunt who is the same age as me (27) constantly bullies me into doing things for her. She demanded that I get her some pizza and pick up her baby from my Grandfather, when I didn't she snapped again and said "hand me my baby.." First I've been sick with the flu and a please from her would had been nice, but I find she always bosses me around when coming over. I did nothing to **** her off and when she acts interested or asks me about my life, she just ends up ignoring me when saying something..literally just sitting there blank faced. What would you do and how do I stand up to her?

so why go over?

Just say no. you don't need to explain or apologize. Just NO.

If you act like a doormat, don't complain about getting stepped on.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:41 AM

10,500 posts, read 6,983,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightsfall View Post
The first time she did it, it was her fault. The second time she did it, it was your fault.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,936,307 times
Simple. Just say no and look at her with a pleasant but blank look on your face. If she asks why, say "no reason, just no." Eventually she will get the message and stop asking. If you need some psychological backup, buy and read the book "When I say No I feel Guilty" by Manuel J. Smith. It's on Amazon. It teaches you how to stand up for yourself without getting into a fight, and helps you see through and thwart the games others play when they try to manipulate you.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:31 PM

6,455 posts, read 7,761,660 times
I think you need to learn how to not be stepped on. Sounds like you are letting her do it. No need to yell or get crazy about saying no, just don't let people walk all over you. One can be a very nice and good person without allowing people to walk all over them.

Best of luck

Old 11-03-2017, 02:35 PM

359 posts, read 301,125 times
How can someone be the same age as their aunt when you'd think aunt is one generation older than OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships