Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 08:47 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
I want to tell him about the boyfriend
Mind your own business.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Oh lordy City Data can be a fickle place. I visited another thread about lies and lies by omission. I think the general consensus was that lies by omission were just as insidious as out right lies. Do I believe that one size fits all? No. There are exceptions to every rule. Friends are honest with each other even if it's painful. I personally would want to know if I was still wasting my time living in fantasy land as your friend is doing. Tell him the truth and help him get off of that emotional rodent wheel. He's stuck on an impossible fantasy, and needs help moving on.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If he does this ^^^ then you should tell him what you know. It would be disingenuous to withhold info like this when he asks you for advice to the contrary.

In these situations, just ask yourself what you would want him to do if the roles were reversed.
This.

And remind him as long as he is married to this woman he remains responsible for half of her debts, etc. Also, two years because of a clerical error?? Fishy....he needs to speak to his attorney.

Your friend is stuck in denial. Divorcing involves grief and loss.....Part of his denial appears to be because his wife apparently throws him a bone emotionally occasionally. She obviously hasn't done the right thing, or he would know that she has a boyfriend and has moved on.

Research some divorce support groups in your area or online and give him the information, and encourage him to attend. I've put a few links below.

It sounds like he would benefit greatly from being able to talk about and hear others tell about their pain re: divorce. Other folks would share and confront him about his denial....that is what groups do.

It would help him, and it would get you off the emotional hook because it would free you from your feelings of personal responsibility. It is very draining having to deal with someone you care about who refuses to hear your advise, and keeps discussing the same issues without any growth. You've become an emotional hostage....and as long as he can vent to you he may never move on.

https://www.divorcecare.org/findagroup

Divorce Support Groups - Divorce Source

https://divorce.supportgroups.com/

https://www.meetup.com/topics/divorc...y13ITcDqsQ-2Ae

Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 AM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I would expect from my friends to be on my side - tell him the truth.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:27 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
He's going to find out eventually. If you DON"T tell him, are you going to be able to lie to him if he asks you if you knew about it?

This might affect your relationship with your friend if you don't tell him, and it might also if you DO tell him.
You know him better than any of us, so it's up to you to decide which would be worse for everyone involved.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:34 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
If he is a friend you care about, talk him into going into therapy to figure out his emotions. that is the best you can do. a shoulder to listen is all nice and dandy, but it only puts you in the middle of things. hey, therapy is not for week or crazy people, its is for lessons on how a person should move on with their life. Divorce sucks, but life is still long ahead of him.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:57 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,050,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Mind your own business.
Yes, I wanted to do that. But he keeps on dragging me into it by calling and asking for advice.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:01 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Yes, I wanted to do that. But he keeps on dragging me into it by calling and asking for advice.
Yeah, then tell him.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:42 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
My friend is going through a divorce that his wife initiated. His wife filed for divorce two years ago and moved out of the house immediately after filing. However, the divorce is not final due to some clerical error made in one of the forms. The (soon to be ex) wife is dragging her feet in correcting the paperwork.

My friend is interpreting that as a glimmer of hope that maybe she still has feelings for him. What he doesn't know is that she already has a new boyfriend.

Should I tell him that she moved on in order to help him move on? I'm trying to stay out of this since this is none of my business, but my friend keeps on talking about her and keeps on asking for my advice in trying to "win" her back. I want to tell him about the boyfriend so he can cut his losses and start a new chapter in life, but he is very depressed and he also happens to own an arsenal of guns. I am fearful of a worst case scenario where he finds out about the boyfriend and decides turn the gun on himself or someone else.
Don't just offer it to him, but if he keeps bugging you for advice, then sure...... tell him the truth. That she's riding a new pony.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:43 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
My friend is going through a divorce that his wife initiated. His wife filed for divorce two years ago and moved out of the house immediately after filing. However, the divorce is not final due to some clerical error made in one of the forms. The (soon to be ex) wife is dragging her feet in correcting the paperwork.

My friend is interpreting that as a glimmer of hope that maybe she still has feelings for him. What he doesn't know is that she already has a new boyfriend.

Should I tell him that she moved on in order to help him move on? I'm trying to stay out of this since this is none of my business, but my friend keeps on talking about her and keeps on asking for my advice in trying to "win" her back. I want to tell him about the boyfriend so he can cut his losses and start a new chapter in life, but he is very depressed and he also happens to own an arsenal of guns. I am fearful of a worst case scenario where he finds out about the boyfriend and decides turn the gun on himself or someone else.
Stay out of it!

Or, only tell family member about his depression and "arsenal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships