Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:55 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times

Advertisements

I have a eye for them. I can do them very well. I can also pick out a tarnished penny in a bed of bark mulch. I think it has something to do with the rods and cones in the back of my eyes.

I used to do puzzles in a social setting and it's true, there are people who just don't get it. They would pick up a piece that obviously did not fit in the space and wonder if it would fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 08:03 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I like the relaxed socialization of working a puzzle over the holidays with family or friends. Board games puzzles and cards are still a great way to enjoy that relaxed sharing and fun.
Hmm . I think I now understand why soured on jigsaw puzzles so bad. Enough to take sandpaper to the pieces that wouldn't fit.

By and large, jigsaw puzzles are meant to be a collective activity, to be done by a whole family or a group of friends. Either with each person having a job or with everybody working as a unit. Yes, most puzzles are frustrating as , but being in a group mitigates that. In my family, however, they were used as a somewhat productive way to occupy my time, once I got too old for toys (shortly before middle school). In my parents' defense, they were truly too busy working and making the house run smoothly, to fiddle around with puzzle pieces. I was also too shy to have close friends I could invite over, to help me work on the puzzle. So as an only child, it meant a lot of lonely, frustrating time trying to make the pieces all fit together.

I made friends much more easily after I started high school, when I had more freedom to go out and about. They were good friends, too. But by then, jigsaw puzzles were a distant memory.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 11-10-2017 at 08:27 AM..

Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
I'm good at jigsaw puzzles. Don't recall having them as a child but when I began doing them to fill some bleak hours, they seemed easy. Progressed through the 250/500/1,000 piece puzzles and was over the moon when I completed a 2,000 piece Coca-Cola puzzle. The hook is, I have to like the subject matter.

Currently, doing puzzles on-line on jigidi. But I'll need to get the real thing for New Year's Eve.

My youngest son, in his forties, has never been good at jigsaws. He's tried and while he's extremely bright in every other facet of his life, jigsaws frustrate him.

It's something you can do, or not. Watching my son in his attempts, it's not something you can learn.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:29 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I think you would have to really like putting together a puzzle.
I would, however not.
While some people might find it a relaxing and enjoyable task, I would not.
I have never put together a puzzle, and never will. I see nothing fun about it.
However, I do like other tedious tasks.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:04 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
https://thejigsawpuzzles.com/

Tons of different subject matter, you can choose how many pieces and it can be sorted into edge only pieces and you can change the color of the background.

I suspect a bit of dyslexia helps with jigsaw puzzles. Dyslexic makes left and right somewhat problematical, but does wonders for fitting things together. I's suspect a lot of architects are good at jigsaw puzzles as well as folks who stock shelves and set up displays?

Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
https://thejigsawpuzzles.com/

Tons of different subject matter, you can choose how many pieces and it can be sorted into edge only pieces and you can change the color of the background.

I suspect a bit of dyslexia helps with jigsaw puzzles. Dyslexic makes left and right somewhat problematical, but does wonders for fitting things together. I's suspect a lot of architects are good at jigsaw puzzles as well as folks who stock shelves and set up displays?
In terms of spatial perception, you're probably right. Architects have to have an aptitude in spatial perception.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
There is an online mobile app via Apple, Mobility Ware - Crossword Puzzle. You can select how many pieces you want to work with. Also has an option to choose pictures from photos you have. For additional costs, there are other puzzles on it to choose from - prices ranging from $1.99 to $3.99. There might be other pricier ones but I haven't noticed them. I like doing the daily freebies. Most likely this company or others like it are on Android versions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships