Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 01:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
I just happen to have the OPINION that maintaining some friends other than a spouse in MY life is a smart investment. (My spouse took a powder a long time ago. He's on Wife No. 4.)
Then do that, but don't tell other people they can't have their spouse as their best friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 01:56 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Then do that, but don't tell other people they can't have their spouse as their best friend.
Oh, good grief. Show me WHERE I did that.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
The only friend I need is Jack Daniels.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:19 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
Oh, good grief. Show me WHERE I did that.
Quote:
Now you're just being obtuse. The point is to not be so insular that the spouse (or any ONE other person) is someone's complete and whole world.

Maybe every last one of them will leave or die first. But it's unlikely they'll all take their exit at the same time.
I think here is where we get the idea that a spouse shouldn't be someone's whole world.

I have coworkers that think I don't have any friends. They are single people that didn't quite get how 2 people can be so close. Many say that if they ever meet someone special, get married or whatever, they would still want to hang with their girl friends separately from their husbands. That is their choice. Whatever works for you. But, I would point out here that most cheating occurs based on availability. If these women spend too much time away from their husband, they leave the door wide open for him to look for companionship outside the relationship...I'm just saying.

My husband and I rarely to never did anything separately while he was still alive. We were each others best friend. I cant even say we went out with other couples except for every once in a blue moon. Those few couples have separated, died, moved away, etc.

We had many acquaintances, neighbors etc. They moved, died, etc. too. I have a couple people I meet up with occasionally, that I have known for years, and I really enjoy their company. All that being said, I am not retired yet. Work is rather draining. I happen to get up very early, and by the time I get home, walk the dog, and eat - I'm pretty much done for the day, lol.

Personally, I expect I'll be more social once I'm retired. Until then, I'm fine with myself, and the pup. I will add here that I was raised by grandparents and am an only child. I grew up in a neighborhood where everyone was my grandparents age, and except for visiting grandkids, I really had no one but myself and the family dog to play with.

I'm naturally comfortable in my own skin and by myself. If I grew up with siblings, cousins etc. all around me all the time, I might naturally have a stronger need for people around all the time.

In the end, I agree that good friends are like a precious gem. Rare, far and few between. They should be treassured when you find them.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:36 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You actually can't. To me, a friend and a spouse are mutually exclusive. Friends are complete equals. Spouses have an authority differential. And in today's marriages, the wife is almost always in charge. And if someone is in charge of you, they're a boss, not a friend.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
The only friend I need is Jack Daniels.
I get that from reading some of your replies.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I get that from reading some of your replies.
What you should have said was: "that's likely the only friend you'll ever have" or "I'm sure that's not by choice"

Something like that would have been a much wittier zinger. Not sure why you didn't take the clear opportunity I so obligingly presented to you. I'm just having some fun, don't mean to upset anyone and sincerely wish you the best.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
What you should have said was: "that's likely the only friend you'll ever have" or "I'm sure that's not by choice"

Something like that would have been a much wittier zinger. Not sure why you didn't take the clear opportunity I so obligingly presented to you. I'm just having some fun, don't mean to upset anyone and sincerely wish you the best.
I don't sit around thinking of zingers or sarcasms.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:28 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I think here is where we get the idea that a spouse shouldn't be someone's whole world.
And what I said was in response to a rather black and white interpretation of someone else's comment. My goodness, it's an opinion and a recommendation not a commandment from me, the Grand Poobah on High.

I've said what I had to say. I'll go fluff some feathers someplace else.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't sit around thinking of zingers or sarcasms.
That's sad. Your life must be very empty and void of fun. I'd guess leading a Hallmark slogan existence is difficult. You must be a very strong person emotionally but I bet I can take you in arm wrestlng.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships