Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 09:43 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times

Advertisements

I'm probably making a bigger deal than necessary about this, but I had a somewhat unsettling experience the other day. Here's a quick back story.

For many years, I've facilitated a self-help group on an occasional basis. In the summer of 2015, I learned via a third party that a guy (I'll refer to him here as "Ray") who'd attended my group in 2014 had confessed to lying during our meetings about his various accomplishments. The third party was adamant that Ray should not be allowed back and after considerable thought I came to agree.

I explained all this to Ray and he reluctantly agreed not to come back, though it was fairly obvious he saw nothing wrong with his actions. That was well over 2 years ago.

A few days ago, I got an email from Ray. It seems that he'd opened the last email I'd ever sent him and directly responded. The message was "Hey Michael. F*** you. Ray"

I'm trying not to think too much about this, but it bothers me that this virtual stranger is still carrying rage towards me over something that happened so long ago. Given the world we live in and the crazy things you see people doing on the news, I can't help but wonder what this guy might do someday if he gets angry enough. God forbid I ever run into him somewhere.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 10:04 AM

741 posts, read 590,088 times
Don’t respond at all for any reason, it will only enflame him. He may continue to try to get you to respond, just don’t engage at all.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 AM

698 posts, read 567,488 times
Sounds like it's the "third party" that made a mess of things here. Maybe shouldn't have followed that guy's advice.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:22 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Put a filter on your email provider to block any further emails from him. Go to "settings" and follow directions from there.

You don't need his crap coming back to haunt you after this long. He's living in the past by the sounds of it.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:53 AM

253 posts, read 228,728 times
That's so strange. I can't imagine holding on to something for that long. I wonder if he was cleaning out his email or something?

Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Sounds like he's failing at "self help" and needs to call in a pro . . .

Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Another vote for no reply.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:21 PM

6,568 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Don't reply.

But let me tell you what happened to me once. After a bad breakup, I had penned an incredibly private and personal email to a mutual friend who had reached out to me when she felt things were getting weird. I didn't send it, but it was saved in my yahoo drafts. A few years later I found it and opened it to read it. I was on my phone and the whole thing suddenly disappeared. I dug around and found it in my sent box with a current date and time. I immedlately sent a new email asking my friend to ignore it, it had accidentaly sent while I was cleaning drafts.

If I had just closed the browser window I never would have noticed it was gone. Not saying that's what happened to you but it's possible!

Old 11-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I think it's possible that email was in a folder that didn't get sent yet. I do get those kind of emails from time to time - they may be in a folder for years, literally.

I'd wait and see if he sends you something else before responding. And then I would not ignore it - that makes crazy people even crazier. At that point, I would respond and CC (where Ray can see it) a colleague in the organization on that email and ask Ray how this can be resolved.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
Keep a copy of his email, then block him. I don’t think you really have anything to worry about safety wise, I find these types of people to be all talk and no action, which is why they end up where they are to start with usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships