Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 03:43 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
If your mother had a falling out, the family is trying to reconnect, she's ignoring them, AND insisting you disassociate, too; that is an issue.

However, if that isn't the case and you aren't close to the family anyway, why go?

Does your mother have a history of manipulating and controlling you? Are you sure your cousin didn't invite you simply to get back at your mother? Was your mother also invited?
My mother said she received a text invite, but she doesn’t want to go anyway. I received an invite via Facebook months ago and I RSVP’d “yes”, so I don’t want to go back on my response. My cousin is renting out a place and had to provide a headcount so it’s not just like an informal thing at her house (otherwise I’d be more likely to skip it). Although I don’t consider us particularly close now, we were closer when we were kids and I think she’s a nice person. My mom can be problematic and she always gets upset when I don’t agree with her on things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I think it's best to appear neutral. Choosing to go now when you avoided going before is not a neutral move. You could avoid this one like all the others and just send a gift. Wait and see if it blows over.
I’ve only heard my mom’s version of events and my opinion is that my mom and my cousin were both wrong. But like I said, I don’t even have a relationship with that particular cousin so it’s not like I’m taking her side by going to her sister’s party. My point is that I don’t have a problem with her sister, and I shouldn’t have to act like I do just because my mom is still mad at everyone.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:54 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,626,929 times
According to my mom I'm suppose to hate all 4 of my sisters ex husbands and I don't. My husband is really good friends with one of them. So we just don't talk about them and change the subject if she brings it up. Why does she even know you are going? Did you volunteer it or did she ask? From now on don't bring any of these things up and just live your life. She doesn't have to know where you are going and who with.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:55 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
My mother said she received a text invite, but she doesn’t want to go anyway. I received an invite via Facebook months ago and I RSVP’d “yes”, so I don’t want to go back on my response. My cousin is renting out a place and had to provide a headcount so it’s not just like an informal thing at her house (otherwise I’d be more likely to skip it). Although I don’t consider us particularly close now, we were closer when we were kids and I think she’s a nice person. My mom can be problematic and she always gets upset when I don’t agree with her on things.
The bold: that little detail changes everything if the invite came before the falling out. You should go. Your previous posts sounded like you agreed to go after the falling out which is why it seemed you have an ulterior motive.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The bold: that little detail changes everything if the invite came before the falling out. You should go. Your previous posts sounded like you agreed to go after the falling out which is why it seemed you have an ulterior motive.
No, I did receive the invite months ago but it WAS after the argument. But still, the argument wasn’t a factor for me in deciding whether I should accept the invite because like I said, I don’t feel like it has anything to do with my cousin and I. We weren’t involved.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:08 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
Sweet Like Sugar, how old are you?

Old 11-18-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Sweet Like Sugar, how old are you?
I’m a fully grown adult not living with or being financially supported by my parents (or anyone else).

Old 11-18-2017, 04:19 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Of course you should go to the party if you want to go to the party. Your mom gets to make her decisions about who she socializes with and you get to make your decisions.

Don't discuss it further with your mom and decline to discuss the dispute when you're at the party.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:22 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I’m a fully grown adult not living with or being financially supported by my parents (or anyone else).
Good. Then make your own decisions and your Mom will eventually get over it.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Good. Then make your own decisions and your Mom will eventually get over it.
You’re right. She hung up on me earlier today when we were talking on the phone and I mentioned the party, so I didn’t appreciate that. I don’t ever hang up on her even when I don’t like what she’s saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships