Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 10:03 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I know a lot of people like this but most of them are women, if that's of any interest.

I've seen a variety of explanations - but almost all of them fall into what I would consider a class of petty grievances that wouldn't, for me, end a friendship.

Just the normal bitchy episodes and drama that you are probably conjuring in your head...and nothing salacious, nobody stole someone's man or said anyone looked fat or any other such unforgivable transgressions.
I tried to make more lady friends this past and it was a disaster and most of them are no longer around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 10:08 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
As someone who's pretty comfortable doing most things and going most places alone -- and despises small talk and making superficial conversation -- I frankly have a hard time understanding why I NEED friends beyond those who share the group activities I enjoy. Sometimes I wish I had someone with whom to discuss weighty issues or ask advice, but there's C-D, lol.

Of course, we all NEED help from time to time, but I'm not inclined to nurture a friendship just for that (ulterior) motive...

I've had close friendships that just sprang up organically from shared interests and cherish them, but I don't seek them out.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 PM

290 posts, read 214,372 times
they are more introverted than others.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
I struggle to make friends, so its no wonder I can not maintain what I don't already have. I try to not be so pushy, or open up too much, and ask questions...but the fact remains I am "trained" to make friends, but not good at it. I have high functioning Asperger's, so I struggle to connect on an emotional level. I try, but I don't connect well even though I try my best to hide the Asperger type ways. Have tried all the typical meetups, clubs, events, classes, volunteering, etc. for making friends, but it never works for me. I think if I can get through the hurdle of making friends I can try to keep them??

Old 12-05-2017, 03:03 PM

604 posts, read 839,708 times
This is an interesting post. I've moved away from old friends or simply lost touch with former friends and co-workers. Sometimes I think of trying to get back in touch with them. But then I think, "Nah, they won't want to hear from me or maybe they would have tried to maintain contact."

Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
How much time do most folks have to devote to friends? I don't know about others but, I work 40 - 50 hours a week, I work out at the gym for an hour 5 days a week, I have dogs who require attention and a spouse who seems to require attention. That pretty much leaves me a few hours in the evening to take care of bills, laundry, running errands, and relaxing before crashing for the night. Weekends - by the time I work out, take the dogs for a hike or go for a bike ride and do a few chores around the house, the weekend has flown by. Maintaining real friendships requires time and energy. Something many of us are sorely lacking. And, for me, as I have gotten older, I'm not particularly interested in superficial friendships. If there is not an emotional connection, I just don't see the point.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:41 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I struggle to make friends, so its no wonder I can not maintain what I don't already have. I try to not be so pushy, or open up too much, and ask questions...but the fact remains I am "trained" to make friends, but not good at it. I have high functioning Asperger's, so I struggle to connect on an emotional level. I try, but I don't connect well even though I try my best to hide the Asperger type ways. Have tried all the typical meetups, clubs, events, classes, volunteering, etc. for making friends, but it never works for me. I think if I can get through the hurdle of making friends I can try to keep them??
I would think that with the seemingly endless numbers of folks professionally or self diagnosed with Aspergers that finding friends with the same features as your own should not really be all that difficult. Then you wouldn't NEED to pretend to be someone you aren't.

Unless, of course, you are consciously or unconsciously avoiding relationships with those like yourself. If so, I don't know what to tell you. Are there not Asperger support groups?

Old 01-01-2018, 06:21 PM

35,065 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Are there not Asperger support groups?
I have a mild case. I haven't found any. I have more trouble making than keeping friends. I have a few friends for my than 39 out of my 60 years. In one case, for 51 of them.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I have let go quite a few friends because they had ulterior motives and wanted too much out of the friendship. They didn't want companionship, they wanted resources. One of them even had a horrible crush on my husband. They're gone now and I'm glad.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:24 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Perhaps "only child" hood ill prepared them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships