Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 02:34 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

A quick trip to the thrift store....Either a blazer to wear over your t-shirt and jeans, or a skirt, or dress. You got this.

Thrift stores also sell luggage...maybe you can find a carry on. Have fun, relax.

And,since you haven't flown since 11' maybe go online to your airline site and look at the rules for what you can include re: toiletries, no clippers, lighters, etc.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:41 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
QFT. I'd get more use out of a Halloween costume than from true formalwear; at least I could be certain of wearing that once a year. And I'm reluctant to spend money on fancy clothes I almost never wear, because the odds are good that when I DO finally go to wear them, they won't fit quite right.

And depending on a person's size/body build, just dashing out to the store to pick something up may not always be possible. I could find a decent skirt + blouse or average dress over a weekend without much trouble, but true formalwear would probably take me at least a month to acquire. No stores in my town carry any in my size, so I'd have to order something online and take it in to a good seamstress for alterations. Picking up a formal gown on short notice would be like picking up a wedding dress on short notice: it's just not happening!
The OP has already gone through the trouble of telling us she has lost a lot of weight and is close to “ideal” size. I don’t think going to Target or goodwill will present a problem. It should not be that hard to find basic black pants/skirt and a top. If room is an issue, perhaps the SLR needs to go. It is a one night trip for visiting family so I am not sure why a fancy SLR is needed.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
First of all, my immediate family only has backpacks or bags for luggage... Who gives a crap what kind of luggage you have...

Second, I have NEVER in my 60 years of life EVER had to attend a family gathering where we had to wear formal type clothes....

Third, the yahoos on here who have a hard time believing an adult has no "formal or decent" clothes need to get a life.. Not everyone goes to formal or even dressy events... My wife and I certainly do not.... NO, we do NOT go to the symphony, NO, I have NEVER had a job where a "client" or my Boss asked me to dinner, And I have been to funerals in jeans and a decent shirt... The deceased do not care and as for the family members who are butts about the clothes they should be thankful a person even makes an appearance....

This is just me, but I would tell them if the luggage and clothes mean so much to you, I can either skip the Holidays or you can buy me something you like instead.....
Maybe YOU should get a life and buy some nice clothes.

Seriously though, I don’t understand how people have zero “decent” or like business casual, at the least, clothes. What do you wear to funerals/wakes/memorial services? Out to nice restaurants? To weddings? Do you do nothing except go to your casual job and casual restaurants? Or just show up underdressed to certain things and not care?

I don’t think it’s that hard for OP to buy and bring a pair of black pants and nice blouse for dinner. That’s the type of outfit it’s always good to have. You can buy an outfit like this at Marshalls, not even expensive. But this is coming from someone who was raised to look nice and put together on holidays because they are important to our family. We actually have an extended family member who always dresses super casual for basically everything. Like way too casual in some instances. We don’t say anything, but sometimes he smells (he has some issues)... then we say something.

I just think people who utterly refuse to ever wear “nice” clothes are the stubborn ones, but that’s my opinion.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
You might need some counseling if this is such a big problem that you can't run in and get an outfit from the goodwill, and pick up a suitcase while you are there. Either that or this whole thread is a hoax. In the amount of time you've spent rejecting everyone's idea here you could have had this done by now for less than $50, maybe $25.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
I'd be fine with that relative. In fact, I'll gladly trade one mean drunk uncle and an intrusive mother-in-law for an otherwise normal person in wrinkled clothing.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
This whole thing has not been about what she will or won't wear or buy. It is about why does her sibling assume or think she should or is, like him with the same standards and feelings.
She is very different and feels her brother should respect that and not expect her to be like him for this or any other occasion. That I believe was her point in the first place, notice at no point in all these pages has she called and asked what he meant by "formal".
She was never looking for advice on what to do. I did find it strange that this is just an over night trip which is what that one post sounded like.

I do hope she pays more attention to the rules for flying these days including an acceptable form of ID, not all licenses qualify, to getting there early enough to make it through security, This is Thanksgiving week we are talking here, Busiest airport time of the year, LOOOOONG lines at security, and short tempers all around.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

What do you wear to funerals/wakes/memorial services? Out to nice restaurants? To weddings?
I enjoy seeing men dressed in hip stylish clothes. (I'd need to post pics)

But plenty of people never go to the above: funerals/wakes/memorial services, nice restaurants, weddings.

Not everyone believes in societal rituals and rarely, if ever, attend them. Not everyone is interested in "nice restaurants."

You seem to think everyone lives a very similar life and that everyone lives a conventional life. There are actually many different types of lives being lived!

I do agree though that it's a rigid mindset to have only jeans and tee-shirts.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-21-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 04:59 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I enjoy seeing men dressed in hip stylish clothes. (I'd need to post pics)

But plenty of people never go to the above: funerals/wakes/memorial services, nice restaurants, weddings.

Not everyone believes in societal rituals and rarely, if ever, attend them. Not every is interested in "nice restaurants." You seem to think every one lives a very similar life and that everyone lives a conventional life. There are actually many different types of lives being lived!

I do agree though that it's a rigid mindset to have only jeans and tee-shirts.
What about job interviews? Depending of the type of work that you are seeking, you can't just roll out in sweats and a T shirt.

Are people considering formal wear to be an evening gown and tux? Do most people not own one pair of dress pants/skirt, nice top, a good suit, even if they seldom wear the outfit? I'm not talking about fancy dress- just a step up or two from what you would normally wear.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
What about job interviews? Depending of the type of work that you are seeking, you can't just roll out in sweats and a T shirt.
The OP who posed the question has a job, is not looking for a new job right now, and wears what he calls business casual to that job.

The OP did not say he wears sweats, so you're exaggerating.

Although, I don't agree with him that jeans are considered 'business casual' in many workplaces - he says he wears jeans and a tactical shirt - I have NO idea what a tactical shirt is - is it a company shirt with logo on it? Or a shirt with special pockets for the particular tools or instruments used in tasks?

Business casual in many places consists of khakis or cotton pants in other colors such as navy or slacks, sometimes jeans are not allowed.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-21-2017 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 05:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
OP, you have all these tactics and operations. Costumes galore. Why not launch "Operation Dinner Clothes"? You can go undercover disguised as a typical member of your family.

Why not launch this Operation?

Rev her up to 8,500!

Pocketa, pocketa, pocketa...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships