Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:22 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't see why your luggage matters, but I also don't see why it would be so hard to have a skirt or a pair of pants that aren't jeans. It seems like grown-ups, no matter their usual lifestyle, should have something to wear to an unusual occasion.

How would I deal with that relative? What's to deal with? As long as you don't smell, I don't think I'd care.
Funny you should say "unusual" for my skirts consist of 25 yard skirts, a long split (both sides) leather one, and then whatever I have when I play the part of a hooker (I think I still have my wrap chiffon ballet skirt). In short, it is a lot of this or that bought from this or that vendor and in any event, I don't think they had a tribal dancer, ie like this: https://www.facebook.com/TribalDance...type=3&theater , in mind.

That's sort of the catch of it in that my day to day clothes were saved in the move and my actress wardrobe was saved, mostly, but in between that, if they were saved, they no longer fit. That was one of the interesting things of the bug out that so many of my leotards from my college days were left behind....and I can now fit into them if they had made it with me.

It is a little bit more than that, however. As I said, I have not flown commercially since before 9/11 so now, I really don't know how to fly. All my travel since then has been throw it into a back pack or duffle bag, throw it in the car, not worry about anyone inspecting it, and go. For this trip, I have been planning with going as simply as I can, as minimally as I can. To go with the mindset of "Wrinkles? I don't care about wrinkles!" and suddenly, things are changed away from that, to suddenly be rather much more complex than that, rather much more complex than I've lived in over a decade. The last time I dressed formally was back in 2004.

As far as how to deal? Well, I hope the organizer brother who I said "not possible" to understands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
.........Surely you have something a little nicer in your closet? What would you wear to a wedding or a funeral or if you were invited to a nice restaurant? Just wear that.
I'd probably panic in that I am not accustomed to doing so. Even when I do have "affair of state" duties to do for the family, it rarely gets past business casual.....nice jeans, nice tactical shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
You can find those jersey dresses online and they roll up and don't wrinkle, so they travel really well. They look a little more dressy if you pair them with a nice necklace. You can "get away" with being comfy while still looking like you're on the more dressy side. I love those dresses. I mean, it's not like you'll be mistaken for the Queen of England while wearing one... they're not that formal... but they're a nice compromise for the fussbudgets who insist that you "dress up" for dinner.
Thank you.

This, however, is part of the situation. It is Monday night of TG week and for an affair that has been in planning for a month or two, suddenly one is told to have more. Even with online shopping, it is not likely to be delivered before take off. Even if I used local shopping (being in a small town an hour from a major city), it means several hours on an already taxed schedule.

I like being able to pull things from what I have in inventory; I rather detest having to suddenly go out and having to buy more, especially when the ranch is about 30 minutes from town to begin with.

It should work out but it doesn't help to add more stress to an already stressful opening to a fun family affair.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-20-2017 at 09:34 PM..

Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
25 yard skirts? What does that mean?

Go to a thrift store and buy a skirt.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
You will look more formal in black, even if it is just a black T shirt. So if you have one, or can get one, wear that and a pair of black pants. Probably you don't have a decorative scarf, but if you could find one - even in a drug store or grocery store, stick that on top of the T shirt and you're good to go.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
I'm laughing! I was going to comment that I am that person, and then I read that you are too.

I keep dark, unripped jeans as my dressy clothes. I have a couple of long and short sleeve plain cheap tops.

Last summer I bought a dress from Title 9 that I think is still in the bag! I'm pretty sure I tried it on. I figured I could wear it with a sweater in the winter but now I'm wondering it's too short for boots.

Well, I still have my dark jeans

Personally I wouldn't worry about it!

Quote:

It's not just a skirt, it's shoes too. I have Tevas or Keens I can wear in the summer with a skirt but I'm not sure about winter shoes.

My normal shoe attire is sneakers, hiking boots or bike shoes. Or horseback riding boots which I wear often as "dressy" shoes.

Not every one spends money on clothes that will just sit in their closet.

Last funeral service I went to - September - dark jeans, Keen clogs and and gauze type of top. Formal Catholic service.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:43 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I don't think your lack of wardrobe should be an issue, especially with family. If you change your mind, ask somebody to take you shopping at your destination.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
If you are a poor dresser and someone has pointed this out to you, you might want to put some effort into looking presentable in front of company. It won't hurt just this once. There are many nice clothes at the Goodwill for a great price that work well when losing weight. Some are ever brand new. Run out and look it over. And make sure it's not wrinkled when you put it on.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/Belly-Dance-T.../dp/B00BLPULXY

Your second post addresses, in part, what I am talking about.

We assume that everyone operates in the same world that we do. Everyone knows where to shop, where to find things to answer the questions and tasks that are posed to us. Everyone knows how to do it efficiently so to use the least time.

Okay, it is about to be Tuesday on TG week; how much time does one have to go shopping, whether they know how to do it or not for the item in question at the store in question, in face of everything else they have to do this week?

Further, of course, there is that next issue of.......one does not just buy a skirt and put it on. Top, boots, belt, etc are also to be addressed.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
All of those can be had at the Goodwill easily for little cost. Run over quick and check it out.
Just to help you keep it simple think about this:
  1. Pick a color for the base like black: tank top, pants or skirt and tights.
  2. Choose a contrasting color for a jacket or silky long sleeve blouse over it, wear it open. Pick a color like, Cranberry, or Brown or Red.
  3. Then get black shoes to go with the base
  4. And top it off with some shiny long necklace jewelry OR a scarf that has both black and the contrasting color.

Easy! Will take about an hour or less. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Belly-Dance-T.../dp/B00BLPULXY

Your second post addresses, in part, what I am talking about.

We assume that everyone operates in the same world that we do. Everyone knows where to shop, where to find things to answer the questions and tasks that are posed to us. Everyone knows how to do it efficiently so to use the least time.

Okay, it is about to be Tuesday on TG week; how much time does one have to go shopping, whether they know how to do it or not for the item in question at the store in question, in face of everything else they have to do this week?

Further, of course, there is that next issue of.......one does not just buy a skirt and put it on. Top, boots, belt, etc are also to be addressed.
Come on. It is hard to believe that a grown woman would be so ill prepared.

What would you wear to a nice restaurant if an out-of-town client or your boss asked you for the same night? What would you wear if a co-worker or friend called and had an extra ticket to the theater or symphony for tonight? What would you wear if your best friend's mother died and the funeral was tomorrow?

And, yes, in your situation you may just have to buy a versatile skirt or jersey wrap dress and just pair it with whatever shoes/boots/top you already own. Or wear boots to the store/Goodwill and find a skirt that matches. Or call a girl friend or co-worker that is about your size and borrow something to wear (and perhaps borrow a carry-on suitcase for the plane).

Yes, they should have given you more warning but it is certainly reasonable to have one nicer outfit in your wardrobe for emergencies or when you take a trip.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
All of those can be had at the Goodwill easily for little cost. Run over quick and check it out.
Just to help you keep it simple think about this:
  1. Pick a color for the base like black: tank top, pants or skirt and tights.
  2. Choose a contrasting color for a jacket or silky long sleeve blouse over it, wear it open. Pick a color like, Cranberry, or Brown or Red.
  3. Then get black shoes to go with the base
  4. And top it off with some shiny long necklace jewelry OR a scarf that has both black and the contrasting color.

Easy! Will take about an hour or less. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Well, it might be a workable solution......or it might not for it involves at least three items.

First of all, there is still that question of what type of luggage does it require for air travel. We are talking about someone, me, who really does not fly commercial, really does not have the "common" luggage to fly commercial. I have flown more general aviation than commercial and that can be a different king of luggage. In a flight suit, you don't worry about being wrinkled and your clothes stuffed into a duffle stuffed in the cargo compartment aren't a thought at all.

Secondly, it is the winter season. I was up in Dallas this past weekend and laughing quietly to those saying they didn't bring enough for this weather.......and I had my field jacket and the like, stuff I carry as standard in the car. This trip will be about the same but further north, so it is field jacket, commando sweater, heavy gloves with me....and probably leg warmers, too! I don't know how the above would go with that but once again, it does illustrate the point of the practical and not "flashy" sibling.

Third, I'm not sure about dressing for a requirement vs dressing for what is comfortable to me, especially considering other costly features of this trip. Things like round trip air travel of ~$700 I've accepted as necessary. The brother setting me up in a hotel room for about $150/night, I've accepted....with something of a gasp. Having to dash out and spend more money on limited time,.........okay, now I am really questioning about do we really assume everyone is like "us"?

The outfit above may be workable, may even be inexpensive but it is also one time and I am wondering who is it for, me or just for the pleasure of others? At the very least, if I am going to dress for the pleasure of others, I would like to feel nice in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Come on. It is hard to believe that a grown woman would be so ill prepared.

What would you wear to a nice restaurant if an out-of-town client or your boss asked you for the same night? What would you wear if a co-worker or friend called and had an extra ticket to the theater or symphony for tonight? What would you wear if your best friend's mother died and the funeral was tomorrow?
I don't work in that kind of environment, fortunately, so it has never been an issue. For one thing, being a grave yard shift worker, even if it did come up, it would be rather impossible. I suppose being an eternal graveyard shift worker for over a quarter of a century probably factors into the situation at hand as well.

As far as the funeral, see somewhere above.

Quote:
And, yes, in your situation you may just have to buy a versatile skirt or jersey wrap dress and just pair it with whatever shoes/boots/top you already own. Or wear boots to the store/Goodwill and find a skirt that matches. Or call a girl friend or co-worker that is about your size and borrow something to wear (and perhaps borrow a carry-on suitcase for the plane).
Well, once again, we get back to the same situation of having lived a life that is so different from the rest of the world (when you are a grave yard shift worker, you really are in a life day people do not understand) that what other people take for granted doesn't necessarily exist.

Quote:
Yes, they should have given you more warning but it is certainly reasonable to have one nicer outfit in your wardrobe for emergencies or when you take a trip.
There two angles here. Assuming that I did have something in my closet that made the move that would still fit me and then, there is the sudden changing of flight requirements, from going from wrinkle traveling (which I have the luggage for) to requiring, perhaps unintentionally, dress clothes luggage which I don't have, which would take considerable time to obtain the proper configuration.......and I don't even know the cost of that stuff.

Finally, as I have said, I have not flown in 16 years. I have not been out of Texas in 16 years. If we call Austin the center, then I have been as far north as DFW, as far NE as Huntsville, as far E as Houston, as far SE as Corpus, as far S as southern San Antonio, as far SW as probably the Tower of the Americas, as far W as Fredricksburg, and as far NW as Killeen. That is the extent of my travel for 16 years.

At the very least, we are talking about a situation that has not changed for 13 (last formal) to 16 (travel) years. Then try to compare that to people in a world who are not like that.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-20-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships