Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:51 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,666 times

Advertisements

I would say no problem, but I would only find it acceptable if it was a local charity to a cause I was passionate about. That would mean only three organizations in the area I would find acceptable, and they are very, very small so it would take work. I would prefer actually goods to these organizations in lieu of just money, so I would kind of be insistent they buy the proper goods these organizations need. Otherwise, I would call them out on it...doesn't United Way really need more money to pay their executives?? However, the local food bank has lines out the door everyday, and are desperate for canned tuna, peanut butter, etc. Buying me 10 jars of peanut butter would mean more as a donation to go to this food bank then just $25 to the United Way slush fund! But people are lazy and just "gifting donations in leiu of gifts," and it is a selfish just write out the check mentality without having to do any work to see how you can make a greater impact to those in desperate immediate need!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
So if someone donates to a charity in my name, am I allowed the tax deduction?

Old 11-30-2017, 08:04 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well it's the holiday season again so I'm sure we'll see a bunch of gifting threads pop-up here. One thing I don't understand is charitable donation gifts. About a week, week and a half ago I saw a poster commented on a thread about they are going to donate in the name of the receiver (of the gift). Then again today in a post about a gift exchange at a workplace, donations were suggested as a gift. I have to ask as someone who don't get it, why would some one give a donation in the name of a receiver as a gift for the holiday they celebrate? Am I crazy for not getting it or just missing something.
It is like stores that ask you if you want to donate when you check out. They want to do good works with you paying for it. If that is what you want to do, just give the person money with them having the option to donate. In my opinion someone else deciding to donate in my name is them being cheap. That should be my choice.

If stores give you a discount, then you can decide to donate or not. They take the joy out of Christmas with every time you buy something you have to feel cheap because you don't make them look good by donating. When I donate something it is in my name and my decision where it goes.

I call these practices "control freaks on steroids."

Old 11-30-2017, 09:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is like stores that ask you if you want to donate when you check out. They want to do good works with you paying for it. If that is what you want to do, just give the person money with them having the option to donate. In my opinion someone else deciding to donate in my name is them being cheap. That should be my choice.

If stores give you a discount, then you can decide to donate or not. They take the joy out of Christmas with every time you buy something you have to feel cheap because you don't make them look good by donating. When I donate something it is in my name and my decision where it goes.

I call these practices "control freaks on steroids."
That is a different issue but often I do donate to these but do it once amd then say I did already. I think this is just tacky and cheap unless they stated it.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:31 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
So if someone donates to a charity in my name, am I allowed the tax deduction?
I don't think it is the case.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I don't have a problem with this. I really don't need much and many times the gifts I do receive are not things I need. I think that is the point: we often receive things we don't need, so why not be happy when someone makes a contribution in your name.

Fine by me if they do.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:00 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
It doesn't bother me. I'd rather they do this then spend money on something I don't want/need. I've also "given" charitable donations on occasion when the person has everything they need/want. I do make sure I donate to a charity I know/think they would support.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:13 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
............ Would a bleeding heart liberal want a donation made in their name to the NRA?........
That's an excellent idea. We have a few really aggressive progressives on C-D. They can't resist spewing their progressive politics no matter what the actual topic is nor how inappropriate their hate is. I think I'll start making NRA donations in their name and let them know so they can thank me.

Unfortunately, it can't be like a cuss box where you put in a nickel every time you cuss. If I made a donation every time they do it, I'd be bankrupt pretty quick.

But what do you donate for the conservatives that do the same thing? Donate to PBS?

I've only heard of charitable donations when the recipient requests it. I've never heard of making a donation for someone who hasn't requested it

However, there's that thing where you buy a cow for someone in Africa. I know of people that give that sort of thing as a gift.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 11-30-2017 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 10:27 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Oh, that is strange. If I were of the mind, I would say something like, "if you want to give me a gift this year, please makes a donation instead to ------". I'm not sure then what the deal is if people are just giving a donation instead of a gift to the person, without them giving any incentive/input. Doesn't sound like they're giving a gift then. Sounds like they're giving to charity and just putting another person's name in front of it. That's really weird. Can't explain that one. I mean it's nice that they're giving to a charity, although a lot of people do have different ideas of which ones are genuine or for an appropriate cause. That is why it's strange not to be given a direction in which charity to go for when giving that as a gift. That is just really bizarre.
You don't know that that's what actually happens.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:35 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
When my parents were in their mid to late 80s they started doing this. At their age, and their friends of the same age, they had everything they needed. My brother and I never knew what to get them. They would donate, in a friend's name, to a foundation that used the money to buy farm animals for people in a village somewhere that needed it. My dad checked it out before donating.
I always thought it was a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships