Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 09:35 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,333,694 times

Advertisements

I've never been asked to donate on a GoFundMe page until yesterday at work. I am really curious what people, in general, think/feel about GoFundMe.

Yesterday, a co-worker posted a page asking for $2700. for a pet surgery. He sent me the link and asked that I pass it around at work. I was taken aback a bit but I guess this is not unusual. This co-worker has an excellent paying job, close to $100,000. a year and a partner who makes good money. I thought, wow, I just paid a $600. Vet bill because it is MY responsibility as the owner of the pet.

I will say I am much older than this co-worker and I am wondering if this runs all ages as to who posts on this GoFundMe thing.

I guess I would like to hear what people think, what your experiences have been with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 09:37 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,003,643 times
Isn't it essentially begging? I mean, it's an online version of holding out your hat on a street corner.

If my kid needed life-saving surgery and I didn't have any other means of raising the funds, then I could see it. Otherwise, no.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:41 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,910,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I've never been asked to donate on a GoFundMe page until yesterday at work. I am really curious what people, in general, think/feel about GoFundMe.

Yesterday, a co-worker posted a page asking for $2700. for a pet surgery. He sent me the link and asked that I pass it around at work. I was taken aback a bit but I guess this is not unusual. This co-worker has an excellent paying job, close to $100,000. a year and a partner who makes good money. I thought, wow, I just paid a $600. Vet bill because it is MY responsibility as the owner of the pet.

I will say I am much older than this co-worker and I am wondering if this runs all ages as to who posts on this GoFundMe thing.

I guess I would like to hear what people think, what your experiences have been with this.
I like the idea of people voluntarily giving their money away instead of government stealing it. Sounds like a good way to help people who are in need (or consider themselves in need). If you don't think they are or don't want to help them or think they don't need help or whatever, then don't donate! It's a great set up.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:44 AM

10,500 posts, read 6,983,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Isn't it essentially begging? I mean, it's an online version of holding out your hat on a street corner.

If my kid needed life-saving surgery and I didn't have any other means of raising the funds, then I could see it. Otherwise, no.
This.

In one couple I know, the wife was diagnosed with cancer. She went through a grueling year of treatments, was pronounced cancer-free, and her husband was then diagnosed three months later. He went through chemo, radiation, and very risky surgery, stabilized, and then her cancer returned again, only this time it was terminal.

This is a couple in their forties with two teenaged boys. They had not one, but two health insurance policies that they exhausted and burned through their savings.

A proud, hardworking couple, they finally resorted go gofundme and the world responded in impressive fashion. But I know it absolutely killed them to ask.

But $2,500 to pay for your dog's surgery? No. Work out a deal with your vet.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:45 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,198,118 times
There are GoFundMe appeals that I consider worthy. Probably the majority I have seen, I do not.

With the information you have provided, OP, much as I love animals, I do not love all of their owners and that guy sounds like he's taking advantage. And in the office? Uh uh.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post

Yes, I agree about some people in serious need, no problem with asking then.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:47 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,381,478 times
A lifetime spent working in IT, and I don't get it.

Seems to fit the stereotype of the millennial though, "I"m special, gimmee, gimmee, gimmmeee!!"

I've known about it for awhile, but have never been. Doesn't stop the old saying of "A fool and their money are soon parted" from holding true today.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:48 AM

9,807 posts, read 7,638,556 times
I don't forward or share those gofundme requests. I'm very choosy as to where I donate our money. I just raised $1200 among friends privately to pay for a disabled friend's hearing aids.

I think some people believe that all you have to do is post and you'll receive tons of cash, so why not try it. I think it makes your friend look bad. I'm sure you're not the only one that knows he should be able to pay for his own pet's surgery.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:48 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,736,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
There are GoFundMe appeals that I consider worthy. Probably the majority I have seen, I do not.

With the information you have provided, OP, much as I love animals, I do not love all of their owners and that guy sounds like he's taking advantage. And in the office? Uh uh.
^^This. I've donated to a couple (usually for animals or veterans). In this case I wouldn't donate given the income that the owners have. It's also IMO inappropriate to solicit funds from co-workers. There are very few GoFundMe appeals that I will donate to.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post

I know, I am a huge animal lover too but I just thought this was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships