Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 AM

604 posts, read 839,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think many of those types of calls are actually robocalls.
You're probably right. Live and learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 08:00 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, it often sounds like a real person for the first few seconds, at least.

Then I hang up.

Businesses still claim that telemarketing is a powerful sales tool.

I am on the Do Not Call list and I rarely get telemarketing calls from a live person. I get the occasional robo call.
I am on the Do Not Call list also and rarely get the calls, BUT if I do, I report them.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

After we bought a used vehicle, we started getting a lot of calls for an extended service contract. They would come from all different zip codes, sometimes 3 in one day. I learned that such places can get listings of those that purchased a vehicle from the state under the Freedom of Information Act. It took a while to get it stopped, but I learned it was better to report it to FCC: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...-not-call-list when it applies to a cell phone.

I generally run the phone number, find out that number has been calling others and trying scam them, then report the number.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:31 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
If you have an ATT cell phone get the "Call Protect" app.

It is not perfect but works pretty good.

I have it on my iPhone.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:53 PM

919 posts, read 609,339 times
The most annoying of all are the ones with the recorded message "Please hold the line ....." & expect one to wait for them. I usually just put the phone down & walk away.

If I'm bored, I like to play with them. Especially the Indian call center employees who are often barely understandable.
My boy often liked to entertain himself at their expense (I didn't mind as long as he wasn't rude)

The Indians are taught colloquialisms, so when they call Aussies, many of them use the word 'mate' repeatedly.
I've upset more than a few by interrupting them by asking 'Do I know you? You keep calling me mate. Unless you're my friend, you're not my mate.' They become quite flummoxed & a couple of them threw temper tantrums & spewed a torrent of abuse while I quietly laughed to myself.
As one can hear the voices of their fellow employees in the call center, I've always wondered how their colleagues (not to mention supervisors) reacted to these tirades.
Funny thing is that judging by the lack of calls after these incidents, it would suggest that they removed me from their call list, lol.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:00 PM

52 posts, read 45,094 times
I just got this e-mail message from Verizon about robocalls.

We get lots of complaints about unwanted computerized calls, and we get it—no one likes robocalls. To help you identify them, we've added a new "Spam Alerts" feature to your home phone's Caller ID.

Beginning on 12/18/17, your Caller ID will show "SPAM?" before numbers that have been identified* as a possible unsolicited call.

Last edited by Phillyguy19102; 12-13-2017 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: line breaks

Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,136 times
It's best not to answer any calls from numbers you don't recognize. Because as I've been told by a friend of mine who belongs to scambaiters groups, when you answer the phone and talk to them, they mark your number as being a live number and the calls will never stop. If it's someone important they'll leave a message and you can call them back.

If you want a good laugh at the scammers expense, you can look up scamming the scammers videos on YouTube. Some of them are absolutely hilarious!

Old 12-13-2017, 08:05 PM

741 posts, read 590,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
The most annoying of all are the ones with the recorded message "Please hold the line ....." & expect one to wait for them. I usually just put the phone down & walk away.

If I'm bored, I like to play with them. Especially the Indian call center employees who are often barely understandable.
My boy often liked to entertain himself at their expense (I didn't mind as long as he wasn't rude)

The Indians are taught colloquialisms, so when they call Aussies, many of them use the word 'mate' repeatedly.
I've upset more than a few by interrupting them by asking 'Do I know you? You keep calling me mate. Unless you're my friend, you're not my mate.' They become quite flummoxed & a couple of them threw temper tantrums & spewed a torrent of abuse while I quietly laughed to myself.
As one can hear the voices of their fellow employees in the call center, I've always wondered how their colleagues (not to mention supervisors) reacted to these tirades.

Funny thing is that judging by the lack of calls after these incidents, it would suggest that they removed me from their call list, lol.
I would imagine they probably hated the job, finally couldn’t take it anymore, and that was their grand flaming exit. 😂

Old 12-14-2017, 12:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Me: "Hello?"
Telemarketer: "Yes, I won't take much of your time..."
Me: <click>

Problem solved.
+1 Precisely. You might not be able to speak, but no one can compel you to listen.

Rich

Old 12-15-2017, 07:16 PM

919 posts, read 609,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
I would imagine they probably hated the job, finally couldn’t take it anymore, and that was their grand flaming exit. 😂
In a place like India, a call center job is desirable to many.

There was a report on a current affair program on the rise of call centre staff exacting revenge on people who never invited their calls in the first place. Often calling in the early hours to dump a torrent of abuse & threats.
Most of the calls were traced back to the call centers themselves, suggesting that abusive sales staff keep their jobs.

One imbecile assured me that he could beat my present deal. When I explained that I had a basic service that didn't cost me a cent, the Indian caller went off his head & started screaming "Are you f***ing Jesus Christ? Are you God?" & spewed a torrent of abuse while I laughed.

Apparently it's a cultural thing.
An Indian friend explained that many Indian boys have been put on a pedestal from birth, coddled by their mummys & as a result aren't used to hearing the word 'no'. So they're prone to throwing temper tantrums when they don't get their own way, lol.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 PM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I had no idea where to post this. I've been getting LOTS of calls from telemarketers. I don't have a landline and I usually ignore calls from anyone that is not programmed into my cell phone. But I've been getting so many that I decided to start answering so I can tell the telemarketers to remove me from their call list. So, the telemarketer goes into their spiel and will not let me say a word. I've said over and over "Hello, can you hear me?" and they will not stop talking. When they finally pause and I say could you please remove me from your call list, they simply hang up. I am on the National Do Not Call register. I'm getting 3-4 calls per day and I don't know how to make them stop. It's crazy. This new breed of telemarketer will not let you say anything at all and acts like they don't hear you. It's really strange. Is anyone else getting these calls?
there are apps that will make the telemarketers think they called a disconnected number. Try that.

If you are really on the do not call list these people can be fined big time depending on what they are selling. Certain categories are exempt like charities and surveys. You might be getting a recorded call. Just hang up or don't respond in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships