Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 09:14 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Unless there are a lot of neighborhood cats... or even bugs. My grandmother switched to motion sensor lights thinking it would save energy, but the lights turning on and off all night really made her anxious about what was happening out there.... even when she'd look and could not see anything actually out there.
That's another point, how one would always be alerted every night.. how nerve-wracking, only to end up possibly disregarding it, since it keeps being activated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
That's another point, how one would always be alerted every night.. how nerve-wracking, only to end up possibly disregarding it, since it keeps being activated.
Yes, and often one would not be able to see the critter that set it off anymore. It would be gone.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
PS I opened my blinds last night to see what it would be like. Two front porch lights shined in, as well as street lights. One was really bright from way across, seemed like a beam directed at me, so bright! I was all ugh! Glad I have blinds............

Old 01-01-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You have gone from she asked you to please turn it off because it hurts her eyes to saying she is 'demanding' you not have a light because she's the equivalent of the neighborhood bully.
She doesn't want the light on because it shines in her home and hurts her eyes. She doesn't want the light shining in her home, not that she cares whether you have light in your own yard. Finding a solution that keeps the light out of her home should be be the main concern at this point. You really can't do more than that if she still complains, but I feel like since you created the problem for her then you should be the one to offer solutions.
Another thing is that we are all envisioning what the situation is and cannot verify that of which is said, besides the hearsay regarding the woman, other neighbor's experiences with said neighbor...yada, yada...

Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But she isn't complaining about the other lights is she? There must be something about your light that is different, like maybe it's just at the right height and shines at just the right angle to be bothersome.
Instead of all the justification as to why you couldn't possibly be creating a problem and blaming it all on her being persnickety, why don't you at least talk to her, maybe try to see if it really is bothersome from where she is, and try compromise?
It's the obstinate refusal to admit there might be some truth to what she says that is so confounding. Just because she's a PITA doesn't mean she can't have a legitimate gripe every once in a while.
It doesn't appear to be in his nature to go and check it out and would rather put himself on a pedestal, having seemingly made up his mind about it prior to posting the topic.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 01-01-2018 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I pretty much agree.

I also want to point out again the insanity of this supposed light-sensitive neighbor not having any window treatments in her bedroom. It's kind of asking for trouble.
We don't even know if this is true...

Old 01-02-2018, 12:10 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

And your "FO" attitude is why so many complain about the state of the world today.
Thanks, Dad. Because a woman who lives in a world where she thinks she shouldn't have to look at certain words on a bumper sticker, that the driver of the car should remove it so she won't have to see it seems totally reasonable.

My "horrible attitude" also ensures I don't waste precious time of my life dealing with crap like this, or people like that. Life is just too short to waste fighting with idiot neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
But guess what ... the OP doesn't have "every right" to light his property. His rights end at the point where they infringe on the rights of his neighbor. Period. Actual end of story.
Are you telling me that by your logic I'm not allowed to turn a porch light on? I mentioned several times that my next door neighbors leave all their lights on constantly, would I ever have the nerve to ask them to turn them off? Um, no. When you buy a house in a neighborhood lights are just par for the course. There are these wild inventions called blinds and curtains, 99% of homes have some form. If OP has some ridiculous light shining right into her eyes, in her bed, ok I guess I can see although I'd still ask the woman, "Who doesn't have one single window accessory to adjust light intensity?"

For the millionth time, a "soft, non-floodlight" is not in the least bit unreasonable. Complaining about bumperstickers and people practicing drums in broad daylight in a closed garage is.

OP, put this lady out of your life. You don't need to waste time and energy attempting to placate an unreasonable, entitled neighbor.

Oh and BTW, I take it this is the Los Angeles area? You're never going to have darkness in Los Angeles unless you live in a mansion in the Hollywood Hills off Mulholland or well above Sunset in Beverly Hills or BelAir. I lived there for years, believe me it's not a dark (or quiet) city.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:25 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
I work at an HOA complex, and a woman moved in, put up the the required white sheers and white lined drapes. Then proceeded to paint her apartment.

When it got warm in the summertime, she had the audacity to open all her curtains and windows, to let the sunshine in. And I had no less than three residents come to me and complain that she had painted her walls hot pink. Complained bitterly, that they had to look at hot pink walls and somebody should do something about it.

After the third person came to me and complained about this, I replied what you need to do is stop peering into her apartment, her walls are absolutely none of your business.

It appears to me the woman with the light who doesn’t want to have window coverings in her bedroom where she is very probably at some point naked and changing clothes, is the problem. I don’t have curtains in my dining room, and it’s not an issue, because I am not naked in my dining room.

I see her kind a lot. The I pay dues therefore this place will be what I say it shall be. Those types always forget everybody else pays dues and has rights, too.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:17 AM

I have said this, that sometimes with CD topics, it will be like that game "Telephone", when one would whisper something in another's ear, who would whisper the message to the next and so on down the line, in the end the message announced having becoming altered from what it was.

I did not see stated by the OP that the female neighbor was without drapes or was in her bedroom, but saw light from some window. He also does not state initially that she has NO window coverings at all (until maybe later). Mostly, he appears to already have established disdain for the woman, based upon the experiences of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Seems somewhat entitled to me if that's the right word--in our backyard we have one rather small light to just give some lighting to the side yard- it's for safety reasons to discourage break- ins. An older woman lives next door- from where her window is wouldn't allow for that much light of ours to bother her but she asked us to please turn the light off "because it hurts her eyes"??? How would it hurt her eyes, that's just something she said because she feels entitled because it kind of goes along with how she is- she wouldn't be staring into our light- there's trees, a fence and the light is small- is not a "floodlight" but is just a basic lamp to give some soft lighting to discourage burglars.

I don't think we should not be able to turn a light on in our own yard, it's not a floodlight or multiple lights . I don't want to have any bad feelings between us but also don't want to be a doormat.any thoughts?
The bottom line is, none of us are there to witness the situation. Maybe she HAS window coverings, but at times has the curtain pulled back for air and gets a stream of light inside, then.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 01-02-2018 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post

Are you telling me that by your logic I'm not allowed to turn a porch light on?
No. That's not what I've said at all.

I deal with "neighbor problems" for a living, and I AM telling you that self-centered FO attitudes of people like you who are itching for a fight and love drama are the reason behind 99% of those neighbor problems.

I've said it as plainly as I can. It's not my fault that you can't understand a simple point: The OP has not gone over to see how his light (which YOU haven't seen either, Mr. Bandwagon Fan) affects his neighbor. That's all.

If he does that and the light really is not a problem, he can go to bed and sleep well, knowing that his neighbor really is unreasonable. Until then, he is just as unreasonable as she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships