Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 03:36 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
That is really wrong and I'm glad your manager but a stop to it. I would never look down on a cashier or anyone who is trying to make an honest living.

I did see one time on CD that someone was putting a cashier down because they wouldn't cash a Susan B Anthony dollar. I think they didn't realize that a lot of people today might think that money is fake or counterfeit as many of the younger generation have probably never seen one. Sometimes we just need to think how it is for others instead of assuming everyone should be like us
The lady ahead of me at a supermarket once handed a Susan B. Anthony dollar to the cashier, and the poor kid didn't know what it was. The lady looked at me and said, "Gosh, he is young."

They never really caught on, and now the only place I see them are when you get change at transit-ticket machines. A teenager working at a store these days wouldn't be familiar with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One of my faves.

If you choose to feel patronized, that's on you. I just decided I will continue to do it whenever my total ends in .59 as a secret way to determine which cashiers at my supermarket are on the ball and which aren't.
I'm not the only one who took it that way though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How was it not patronizing when you said it because "she does not think that closely about what she is doing." Being patronizing means you think you are superior. You're coming off as if you were somehow a better cashier because you spent time thinking about random combinations of coins. That's fine if that is something you find fun, but I doubt most cashiers feel the same way. That is never something I thought much about when working as a cashier.
I realize you were trying to be helpful as did another poster but the way it comes off is patronizing. I'm sorry that you don't see it that way.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:01 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm not the only one who took it that way though...

I realize you were trying to be helpful as did another poster but the way it comes off is patronizing. I'm sorry that you don't see it that way.
No. I was not trying to be helpful. The cashier did not need any help from me. I was simply stating a fact that I thought a cashier would immediately identify with because she handled money all day long and thought that surely it was something she had noticed.

I was wrong, and I was surprised that the statement of something I thought was so obvious to any cashier on the planet confused her.

Done with this. Sorry I mentioned it.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Rude idiots, they may have traveled, but they had no class.
Yes. I cashiered at this drug store in a wealthy neighborhood and these weren't these first people to come in throwing their weight around.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:19 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
_

Last edited by Wild Flower; 01-07-2018 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Wrong thread- trying to delete

Old 01-07-2018, 04:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
A majority of big boxes are do that. Because debit is an electronic transfer of cash and not credit, they have to return money in one of two forms, cash or store credit (gift cards) or a return. Store credit is more often if the receipt isn't available (gift purchase, etc.) It's just the way of the world. What you did even if it worked for you wasn't communicated well enough to the cashier before they hit change. Too many are trained to look at the change on the screen, and base that for the change they administer to the customer. Sounds like you did it too late.

One question I have to ask is why if you had to make returns you went with a smaller wallet, especially if you knew it was debit purchases? If you had to make enough exchanges to leave you with 20 different bills in your wallet, why use the small one or could have you stopped into your bank to deposit some? Instead you blame the cashier for your issues in not knowing store policy and doing a bunch of returns without clearing out your cramped wallet.
On the day I had several returns, to the same store, I brought my big wallet. There was also no rhyme or reason I which of the transactions were returned back as cash. Some of the transactions returned directly to my debit card. I think I had 4 returns. Two came back as cash, one was directly to debit and one was to a credit card. So it is not exactly predictably.

This time around I had one return and simply preferred not to have 8 ones in my wallet. In my mini wallet. I do not think it is an unreasonable ask if you are already going into the till. The cashier appeared to be new since she had to call for assistance to complete the return as well. She might have just generally been a flustered person. I don’t know. I was polite and patient during the transaction.

Quote:
Exactly, it was a communication issue.
She had no problem explaining it back to the manager when he came to re-open the drawer.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Well, ya lost me. I'm not a number's person but I can think of ways to understand change making. Don't just blame cashiers. I think teachers should teach that in early elementary. Just so kids know something their parents don't.
They do. They probably do 1 lesson on it, then the kids don't use it again until they maybe get a cashier job in high school. Then, they really still don't use it because hardly anyone uses cash anymore, and when they do, the register tells them how much to give back. It's a skill. Like any skill, you won't be any good at it, if you don't practice.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
On the day I had several returns, to the same store, I brought my big wallet. There was also no rhyme or reason I which of the transactions were returned back as cash. Some of the transactions returned directly to my debit card. I think I had 4 returns. Two came back as cash, one was directly to debit and one was to a credit card. So it is not exactly predictably.
It is entirely common practice for debit returns to come not back to the card but rather cash at physical stores. I've made several purchases on my debit card at big boxes, only to receive cash upon the return. I'm not sure why this wasn't clear to you as most places do that.

Quote:
This time around I had one return and simply preferred not to have 8 ones in my wallet. In my mini wallet. I do not think it is an unreasonable ask if you are already going into the till. The cashier appeared to be new since she had to call for assistance to complete the return as well. She might have just generally been a flustered person. I don’t know. I was polite and patient during the transaction.
Based on what cashiering is today, it is unreasonable. Unless they can do a re-open, they typically have to type in the amount even if it is exact. Then it will show change due. The person sounds like they were in auto-pilot and you broke their concentration, especially after the change was done and the till was closed. Also sometimes with returns, managers are needed regardless of level. Don't assume thing because we all know what happens with that...

Old 01-07-2018, 05:43 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Several years ago I stopped trying to maximize my quarters because people were just too confused when I gave the a dime with my bills when the total change was 85 cents.

When did basic math get so hard for people?
This is basic math? What did you think you should get back if the total change was 85 cents and you gave them a dime with your bills?! That would make your total change 95 cents, if you gave them an additional dime. Not a quarter...no wonder they were confused.

I can amortize my mortgage payments and find the principal after making 5 additional payments this year, but I can't imagine the patience some of these cashiers have to have with the posters here. You know they have to be nice, even when the customer is wrong, right?

Old 01-07-2018, 06:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
It is entirely common practice for debit returns to come not back to the card but rather cash at physical stores. I've made several purchases on my debit card at big boxes, only to receive cash upon the return. I'm not sure why this wasn't clear to you as most places do that.
I did not have a problem getting cash back. I have yet to figure out how and when cash is returned vs crediting tbe card directly. My returns at Target seem to be 50/50 when I paid with debit. I have no idea where that assumption came from. I wanted the cashier to help me minimize bills, the same as when you get cash back and a cashier asks you if you have a oreference on which deniminatioms are returned to you. When I was cashiering, one of the requirements was to be able to disoense and count back change confidently, quickly and accurately. Apparently this is no longer required.

Quote:
Based on what cashiering is today, it is unreasonable. Unless they can do a re-open, they typically have to type in the amount even if it is exact. Then it will show change due. The person sounds like they were in auto-pilot and you broke their concentration, especially after the change was done and the till was closed. Also sometimes with returns, managers are needed regardless of level. Don't assume thing because we all know what happens with that...
Perhaps, I made my request while the drawer was opened, and she kept it open for several moments. This transaction ended up taking 3 visitis from the manager, The first because she needed to ask for help to do the return. The last two were because she did not get the $ correct. So I am not making any assumptions, again I was there during the transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
This is basic math? What did you think you should get back if the total change was 85 cents and you gave them a dime with your bills?! That would make your total change 95 cents, if you gave them an additional dime. Not a quarter...no wonder they were confused.
. I'll clarify for you, if the bill is $4.85, I might give a cashier $5.10 so I can receive a quarter as change. And sometimes the cashier will attempt to give me the dime back saying I have overpaid. Other times they'll type it jntomthe till and understand be goal (and maybe clarify if they are out of quarters that day). I'd consider that basic math.

If I am making a more complex ask, I'll evaluate if there is a risk of holding up the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships