Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 10:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I apologize for misconstruing the issue. As I stated before, when I have done exchanges/refunds, I never really had an ability to add the change for the actual transaction of the refunded monies. So if you were going to get 4.95 and you were going to give me three dimes to get a Lincoln and a quarter, it wouldn't show up on your return receipt. What would was the 4.95 tender for the refund. That means that it would basically be an "under-the-table" transaction which you shouldn't really do at a store. If it was a purchase, different story but you would need to communicate that with your cashier.
I wouldn't call making change an under the table transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I wouldn't call making change an under the table transaction.
Well it isn't recorded what I excahnged, even if I have to open the register. Just that I signed off on a register opening without a transaction.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:21 PM

579 posts, read 368,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well it isn't recorded what I excahnged, even if I have to open the register. Just that I signed off on a register opening without a transaction.
You don't make a note of a refund? This means the register will be out of balance.

starting cash in the register + sales - refunds - cash dropped into the safe = ending cash in the register

Old 01-14-2018, 01:30 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
You don't make a note of a refund? This means the register will be out of balance.

starting cash in the register + sales - refunds - cash dropped into the safe = ending cash in the register
Thats not what mkpunk said at all!!! lol

Old 01-14-2018, 02:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post

Um, thanks for the reminder that nobody needed, but the return is recorded with the refund. The item is scanned and the tender is recorded. What wouldn't be however is the change the OP wanted rather than the change offered. Nor is it when someone asks for change for a dollar without a transaction either. All that happens is a reciept prints out for me to sign and put with the credit, debit and return receipts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Thats not what mkpunk said at all!!! lol
Exactly. On the two registers I've used none included the option to really add the change to make what the OP wanted for their return, and to do it on my own wouldn't be documented even if the change evened out. For opening, one had you sign if you opened the til if It wasn't transaction related (I forget for the other.) It opens up scrutiny for me if there was some flim flam. If it is a purchase, I can easily do What the OP wanted, no questions asked.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:13 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Since we're on this topic, I deal w/ a lot of mostly 20 something year-olds these days in the food service industry & most of them don't know $h!t. I have no idea how they ever graduated from high school. When I had my 1st job at 18, I worked in fast food & retail, you know, the typical young people/college-aged jobs & I was friendly/professional, knew what the hell I was doing, & worked FAST & had those customers rung up & outta there. Those, I think, are the 3 top characteristics people should definitely have in the customer service industry. From what I've seen, very few people these days have ALL 3.

These young people today definitely do NOT have it:

- they don't know that "a couple" means 2. Like if I say I want a couple packets of ketchup, they turn around & ask, "how many?"

- they can't remember a 2-item list. You say 2 things & they forget one OR both of the things you just said literally a second ago.

- they're not fast in general or in writing down things

- they have ZERO common sense

- then you may have one of those fast-talkers every once in a while, but then they just think they're hot $h!t because they talk fast, so they're usually pompous & not warm & genuine.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:23 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Since we're on this topic, I deal w/ a lot of mostly 20 something year-olds these days in the food service industry & most of them don't know $h!t. I have no idea how they ever graduated from high school. When I had my 1st job at 18, I worked in fast food & retail, you know, the typical young people/college-aged jobs & I was friendly/professional, knew what the hell I was doing, & worked FAST & had those customers rung up & outta there. Those, I think, are the 3 top characteristics people should definitely have in the customer service industry. From what I've seen, very few people these days have ALL 3.

These young people today definitely do NOT have it:

- they don't know that "a couple" means 2. Like if I say I want a couple packets of ketchup, they turn around & ask, "how many?"

- they can't remember a 2-item list. You say 2 things & they forget one OR both of the things you just said literally a second ago.

- they're not fast in general or in writing down things

- they have ZERO common sense

- then you may have one of those fast-talkers every once in a while, but then they just think they're hot $h!t because they talk fast, so they're usually pompous & not warm & genuine.
You say that like it's only young people with those issues.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:28 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You say that like it's only young people with those issues.
True, you're absolutely right. There's a TON of stupid, OLD people too, that's for sure! I just personally deal w/ mostly 20 somethings.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I wonder if a lot of people have just lost the ability to concentrate and focus on one thing.

Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that some people never developed that skill in the first place.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:45 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I agree that they don't have math skills, but they shouldn't even need them today lol. Every big box store here, and every supermarket, is automated. They plug in what you hand them in payment, and they see the amount to be returned in change. An amount they can't seem to remember at Wegmans, because the kids keep looking at the monitor...at the till...at the monitor...at the till...

When I was young, we had to demonstrate figure aptitude for our summer jobs. We had to "count back" change, too, and I don't just mean count the change. We had cash registers. That's how customers got their change--cashiers counted forward from the amount due, taking coins and bills from the till until they reached the amount paid. Then they counted that back to the customer starting with the amount due.

Now, you get bills with coins on top, and the receipt on top of that placed in your hand. And that's why I LOVE self-checkout.
I feel that I've mentioned this before, if I have and I'm boring you, I apologise.
Some 15 or 16 years back, my wife and I rented a vacation house a few miles north of Tampa FL. for 3 weeks.
We landed in Tampa around 5.00 p.m., and by the time we'd cleared immigration and picked up our rental car, we got to the house around 8.30 p.m.
MY wife said, "Go out and get a pizza and a couple of bottles of wine while I unpack, we'll crash out, then hit the supermarket tomorrow, okay?"
Next day we found a Publix and strolled around for almost an hour until she was happy that she'd filled the cart.
At the cash register, the total was something like $85.25c, I gave the young lady two $50 bills, and fished out a quarter.
She looked at me wide eyed and said, "That's too much sir, your total is $85.25."
I said, "Yes, I know, if you give me $15 we're good."
She hit the buzzer and summoned a guy in a suit, and told him what I'd said, he said, "That's not how we do it here sir", and gave me back the quarter, while the girl rang up the $85.25, and gave me $14.75c change.
As we loaded the car, my wife said, "What was that all about?"
I said, "I give up, but I think that I've been elected as this week's dumb limey."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships