Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 05:27 AM

136 posts, read 98,286 times

Advertisements

These big box stores also put alot of pressure on the cashiers! Work faster, keep the line going! They do keep track on how long it takes for a cashier to ring and you get told about it if you fall under the "average" because your trying your best to work with the customer. They don't care about the why it took so long! Your written up if the drawer is short which causes paranoia. I worked for a big box store, probably the box store you were in. The expectations of the cashier is ridiculous. They tend to forget that the cashier is human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 06:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,540,599 times
This day and age, I find that NOBODY seems to know how to do simple math and their spelling and grammar is atrocious.

Welcome to the computer age. Calculators and spell-checker have taken over basic skills that people SHOULD KNOW. I see so many mistakes on CD and other sites and it upsets me that we have allowed it to come to this.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:48 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
These big box stores also put alot of pressure on the cashiers! Work faster, keep the line going! They do keep track on how long it takes for a cashier to ring and you get told about it if you fall under the "average" because your trying your best to work with the customer. They don't care about the why it took so long! Your written up if the drawer is short which causes paranoia. I worked for a big box store, probably the box store you were in. The expectations of the cashier is ridiculous. They tend to forget that the cashier is human.
Exactly.

The job is so repetitive and draining, the OP likely caught the cashier off guard with such a request. I’ve had a few “idiot” moments when I worked as a cashier, juggling multiple tasks at once, and I used to tutor math. I caught myself most of the time, sometimes I didn’t. In the vast majority of change disputes I’d had, the customer was wrong, which they’d realize once I broke it all down for them.

I don’t get where the “young people can’t do math” thing comes from, but I’ve received similar comments. “Did I confuse you?” was another popular one (lol umm, no, you didn’t). I only ever looked at the screen to make sure I didn’t scan anything twice and for the total if it was a large order, almost never for the change.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
[quote=don1945;50621821]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And shame on them for not knowing how to use an abacus, or a slide rule, or a rotary telephone, or a cassette player, or a bankbook? I'd be willing to bet that those kids who can't make your change can do things with phone apps and computers that you probably didn't even know was possible, lol. Times change, this is a part of it.[/quote

Yeah, they are whiz kids, until their batteries go dead. There are some basic skills that everyone should have, and actually use their brains, instead of relying of some electronic gizmo.
I agree that people should at least know the basics. Adding small amounts in your head should be basic not obsolete. No worries though today's generation will be dealing with something "outrageous" like this in 30 years, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
I must be at the wrong box stores....because many, not all, of the lines move like molasses...except for my Lowes. I love those ladies

I try not to make it hard for cashiers and I also won't hold up the line. If I am searching for a coin I will tell the cashier what I am doing. Something like "I might have a few pennies for you"...then they know to wait before they put the amount in the register.

Now the ones who tick me off and it's usually middled aged or older people that are the ones who wait until everything is rung up, packed and put in their cart....and then they take out a checkbook and "start" writing. C'mon people think of someone other than yourself.

Last edited by ylisa7; 01-07-2018 at 08:01 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 08:24 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,081 times
"These damn kids are ruining everything I tell ya!"

Old 01-07-2018, 08:59 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
In support of cashiers, management prefers they do NOT use mental math. The register doesn't make mistakes.

I don't ring the registers at our store very often, but I have no difficulty making change when customers decide to change their amount tended at the last minute, and they often do. Before I even touch the keys I'll look at their purchases and tell them what the total will be. If it's $4.04, and they hand me a $5, I ask if they have change so I can return a $1. I get blank stares, a lot. And it never fails to amaze me how many adults cannot figure out prices when we have % off sales.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:07 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Now, you get bills with coins on top, and the receipt on top of that placed in your hand. And that's why I LOVE self-checkout.
OMG - I hate that! And then you get a dirty look because you take time having to juggle all that in your hands to put it away - makes me feel like a bag lady 90 years old.

Put the d*#&@ receipt in the bag - it's a foot long and I'll trash it anyway - but later when I don't have money in my hands. Change first in the palm of my hand, then bills...receipt - ask me if I even want the receipt first! And you know, it's only 1 time out of 100 that I use cash but it's still irritating as he||.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:10 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
This day and age, I find that NOBODY seems to know how to do simple math and their spelling and grammar is atrocious.
<>
There are threads for examples over in the writing forum. Enjoy. Giggle. Contribute.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:22 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Yeah, they are whiz kids, until their batteries go dead. There are some basic skills that everyone should have, and actually use their brains, instead of relying of some electronic gizmo.
I agree. Someone may not always have access to electronics or things with batteries.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:26 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
I can see both sides. I hate change, but it seems a bit... nit-picky. Especially in the age of debit cards.

Speaking of which, how did you need to get change back when you paid with a debit, OP? Did you pay specifically an even number (say $20 with your debit for an item worth $15.50)? If so, why?

I don't mean to harass you with questions, I'm genuinely curious.
Agreed. If paying by card just pay the exact amount. Some people want cash back, but $4? I mean, I can understand using the debit to get out $20 or $40 or so.

Sounds like he paid by debit some amount slightly over the amount due, was supposed to get back $4.37 or such, wanted to give her a $1 bill and get back $5.37. In that case, why not just let her give him the change as her register likely instructed and complete the transaction normally, THEN he could ask to trade 5 $1 bills for a $5 bill.

Or better yet, keep the $1 bills and use them on the next transaction because it's not like 5 of them is too bulky and heavy to carry around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships