Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 01:31 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

I've wondered this too. Our parents didn't really "push" any of us; pretty much left us alone in that dept.

My older sister is a very high-energy, PhD linguist, cheerful, positive, helps everyone.

Then there's me: low-energy, AA degree, depression-prone, cynical and a pessimist.

LOL. Who knows!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
My sister and I were totally different from looks to personality to life style.

Probably quite common.
Same here, 12 months apart and we're like night and day.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:30 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
I know of two siblings that are very different when it comes to their attitudes towards life and the success they have been able to achieve, despite having virtually the exact same upbringing.

They are just two years apart and the older one has a master's degree and is very highly motivated. The younger one barely finished high school and pretty much lives in the projects.

How common do you think this type of situation is? And is there any real explanation for it? Especially when they virtually had the same upbringing...
So you've never heard of cane and able?
There's nothing new under the sun.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:41 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Different from mine for sure and my husband is different from his twin for double sure!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:16 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Going through life I never saw any huge differences, just generally different people traits in kids. But now a friend has two that couldn't be more different. The older one decided what he wanted to do by the the time he was 5. Sport, college, degree type all picked out. Confident little know it all, bossy, thinks he's smart etc. Neither of his parents have gone or care if their kids go to college so where that came from is a mystery. The younger couldnt be more..what I think of as feral. Shy anxious has no idea of who or what he is. Ask him what he wants to be, he'll say xyz (what his brother wants to be). Plays the same sport although I've never seen him touch the ball, he mostly just cruises around the field. I can't imagine he enjoys it. I just can't see him being able to cope as an adult if he stays the same and I don't think his parents have been up to helping him. (They are great loving parents but a little passive in this)
Its like the older child got everything in the womb and the other child nothing.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:48 AM

923 posts, read 525,851 times
My brother and I are opposites, and so are my kids. The "core" of my kids is the same, but so many differences' otherwise.
My brother and I, nothing the same.

OP, my "guess" is that they have traits of their parents and other ancestors. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:10 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
You cannot raise, teach, train, or help two kids in the same way... If you do, you will have two kids with entirely different outcomes...

Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My children are very different from each other. My daughter is an optimistic person, and her brother is a glass half empty sort of person. She looks like my side of the family, and her brother looks like his dad. So in our case their personalities match the parent they look like.

Son number two, with a different father, looks purely like my side of the family, and he has the easy going personality of my side too. As I mentioned elsewhere, this son just had our first “ours” grandchild, and gramps and I can’t wait to see what her personality is like.
You think the fact that you refer to him as "her brother" and not "my son" like you do your other two has anything to do with it?

Old 01-16-2018, 10:26 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
You think the fact that you refer to him as "her brother" and not "my son" like you do your other two has anything to do with it?
No, I do not.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:09 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Perhaps you're reading more into it than was implied? My impression was that GA was using it as a descriptive, not disparagingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships