Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,279,363 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry. You must be really miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 10:24 AM

6,931 posts, read 217,601 times
Maybe they are ignoring your advice because you aren’t much of a role model? Who wants to follow the ways of such a petty individual? Get over yourself.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:36 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,538,155 times
You sound like a jerk.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 AM

6,277 posts, read 4,146,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What I mean by that is if someone asks for advice about something, or asks me what I think about something, I tell them, and then they go ahead and do what I advised them not to do. If it works out for them, that's great, but I really like it when it doesn't so I can say "Hey, I told you so! Should've listened to me!"

Basically, I love it when people think they know better and it ends up blowing up in their faces! People on the opposite side with cry "But I did what I wanted so that's what REALLY counts!" Sure, keep telling yourself that while you complain to me about things not going the way you wanted, or worse, expecting ME to swoop in and fix it after they didn't listen to me.

Does anyone else ever feel like this?

No, I presume my friends who do ask for advice ask others also to try and get a broader perspective and then decide. I don’t presume I know better than others, but offer what has worked for me based on my lifestyle, personality etc. i don’t expect them to follow my advice but if they fail I take no pleasure in it, or harbour any smug I told you so feelings.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:05 AM

20,687 posts, read 19,822,231 times
It is usually people I like who ask for advice. So why would I enjoy if they fail?

You sound pretty mean.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,676,906 times
I have a good friend who consistently asks for my advice but never takes it! We have been friends for 33 years and this has been going on the entire time. I still give her advice when she asks as she's my friend and maybe someday (maybe) she'll choose to listen! I'm no expert on everything anyway, so if she doesn't listen it's her choice. At any rate, NO I would not like to see anyone fail in life!

Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,944,803 times
For everyone who's telling him he's a lousy friend...notice, he didn't mention 'friend' anywhere in his post. I doubt he has many, if ANY friends actually.

No, he just really likes telling people what to do, because he's an authoritarian type person, who tries to jam his opinions down the throat of others, who rightfully ignores his 'advice'.

This is the guy that thinks it should be a law that all couples have to wait 7 years to get married. This is the guy that thinks that there should be a law that people have a certain level of income to have children, and if they don't, they should be fined.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 6,941,674 times
Quote:
What I mean by that is if someone asks for advice about something, or asks me what I think about something, I tell them, and then they go ahead and do what I advised them not to do. If it works out for them, that's great, but I really like it when it doesn't so I can say "Hey, I told you so! Should've listened to me!"

Basically, I love it when people think they know better and it ends up blowing up in their faces! People on the opposite side with cry "But I did what I wanted so that's what REALLY counts!" Sure, keep telling yourself that while you complain to me about things not going the way you wanted, or worse, expecting ME to swoop in and fix it after they didn't listen to me.

Maybe you're giving them dumb advice. Maybe they're following better advice, but fail anyway. And, of course, gloating over someone's troubles in life kind of makes you a sorry human being. Just saying.

However, there's a term for people who routinely ask for advice and don't ever follow it: Askhole.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:50 AM

32,506 posts, read 47,512,022 times
My life experience is that people who ask for advice are hoping I can tell them the secret way to fix their problem that involves no effort, money, or discomfort on their part. If I don't know the magic secret, they just continue on doing what they are doing.

Like right now, I am going to suggest that OP get together with a good mental health care professional to find out why he has such a black heart. But really, I expect what he will do is to continue on like he always has because he wouldn't be able to change without investing effort on his part.

I never expect anyone to suceed, or fail, or even follow any advice I give them.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,613,835 times
Quote:
... I really like it when it doesn't so I can say "Hey, I told you so! Should've listened to me!"

Basically, I love it when people think they know better and it ends up blowing up in their faces! ...

No, that's basically the complete opposite of how we are supposed to live life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships