Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 PM

658 posts, read 722,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I guess I feel like if I know them well enough to have added them as a friend, I at least owe them that courtesy.
Another reason why Facebook needs categories for people like co workers, friends, family, acquaintances, salespeople etc. You can divide them up but not by the feeds. So if they offered a way to have completely separate lists, it would be helpful. Not everyone on my "Friends List" is a FRIEND. And my FRIENDS would know whether or not to pitch to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Why don't people reply anymore? Why resort to "hints"? The polite thing to do is to simply say "Thank you for thinking of me, but it's not something I'm interested in/don't have any need for." That gets her off your back and allows her to focus her attention on people who are more likely to give her business. Why do people just ignore and then block?

(And yes, I know that there is occasionally the person who can't take no for an answer, but I feel like there's nothing wrong with one reply of "thanks, but no thanks" before jumping to being annoyed.)
I don't get it either, but than I don't get having contact with people you haven't seen in 10 years or spoken to on the phone either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't feel I am under any obligation to reply to a business request from someone I don't really actually know on FB. I just see it as spam.

I don't think it is appropriate for people to keep trying once ignored. If one is interested in the Ponzi scheme business venture, I think they would probably answer. I see your point, but I have no desire to engage.

And I actually just went back to check to see if I still have the messages, and she actually worded it really creepily the first time. It started off as if she was trying to come onto me, then she was like "you'd be perfect doing what I do!" It really put me off, I was just like... nah. Not even getting a response. I thought I deleted it, but I didn't. I just ignored it.
But don't you spend more time and energy(in addition to getting annoyed) by ignoring it, and you keep getting the requests.

Wouldn't a one time polite but firm message end it? If she continued than you block her.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't get it either, but than I don't get having contact with people you haven't seen in 10 years or spoken to on the phone either.

But don't you spend more time and energy(in addition to getting annoyed) by ignoring it, and you keep getting the requests.

Wouldn't a one time polite but firm message end it? If she continued than you block her.
It was annoying in the moment, I didn't spend time being annoyed by it. In the grand scheme of my life or even the given day it was not a big deal.

If I cared about our FB friendship (or RL friendship if we had one) I would have messaged her back. I didn't. Like I said, I would have deleted her from my friends list anyway because I have been doing that for those who aren't actually my friends. FB is nearly obsolete to me anyway at this point, I barely use it.

TO ME, if one doesn't answer such a message in such a context, given we are NOT friends and don't talk at all and it was a totally random "join my sketchy online business" solicitation, that would be the end of it. Basic social cues IMHO should have told her that I wasn't interested. I haven't even thought about her or this whole thing until I read the OP and remembered I had a similar type of experience. It's been no skin off my back.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
An online "party" is not a real party.

Also, if they're trying to recruit or sell stuff at these online parties, they will lose big time! Because it's so easy for people to just click off their computer. Whereas, back in the old days when we had real (live) parties, it was easier to pressure people to buy stuff.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Another reason why Facebook needs categories for people like co workers, friends, family, acquaintances, salespeople etc. You can divide them up but not by the feeds. So if they offered a way to have completely separate lists, it would be helpful. Not everyone on my "Friends List" is a FRIEND. And my FRIENDS would know whether or not to pitch to me.
You can create those categories on your own page. I have a family list that when I post something I only want my family to see, I select that option.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:48 PM

658 posts, read 722,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You can create those categories on your own page. I have a family list that when I post something I only want my family to see, I select that option.
Yeah I do have everything on my Facebook customized like mad so only people I want to see certain things actually see them. I think I meant more like instead of calling it a Facebook Friends List it would just be a people list and you sort them from there so no kind of relationship is even implied.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:44 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't feel I am under any obligation to reply to a business request from someone I don't really actually know on FB. I just see it as spam.

I don't think it is appropriate for people to keep trying once ignored. If one is interested in the Ponzi scheme business venture, I think they would probably answer. I see your point, but I have no desire to engage.

And I actually just went back to check to see if I still have the messages, and she actually worded it really creepily the first time. It started off as if she was trying to come onto me, then she was like "you'd be perfect doing what I do!" It really put me off, I was just like... nah. Not even getting a response. I thought I deleted it, but I didn't. I just ignored it.
If you feel that way about her, why the hell is she even on your FB list?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I rarely get these for parties, just groups. I can deal with these, accept or just say no.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:01 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
I stopped going to these type of parties years ago and gently decline whether they are offline or on. Rarely though do I have friends that do sales party invites .

Old 02-10-2018, 01:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I guess this is more of a rant than anything but...I've gotten really sick of these online party invites on social media. It used to be only my closest friends or family would invite me to their homes for some party to sell stuff, and in the end I typically didn't buy much of anything, but it was always a fun excuse to get together, have a drink and catch up.

Now, it seems, those fun parties are a thing of the past.
I get flooded weekly with invites to online "parties" for all sorts of products I have no interest in. I always decline. It seems people no longer have any interest in human interaction, it's more of a money grab so they can get their free crap at your expense. I don't think this is the case anymore, but at one point people had the ability to automatically add you to their group without your consent, and could re add you when you removed yourself one more time. One girl continuously did this, until I blocked her (and it's always people I don't know that well...more acquaintances than anything). Another girl sent me a private message that started out like casual conversation, until it ended with an invite to her party and I realized she probably sent the same message to 100 other people.

But this last one...I don't know why I let it get to me but it was the last straw. This girl is not an enjoyable person to me...she always came off as a bit rude, but my husband and I tolerated her because we were friends with her boyfriend. They broke up, we haven't heard from either one of them in 2 years, then out of the blue she texts me 4 days ago. It was the typical hey, how are you, let's hang out soon, but in her own selfish way (didn't ask about us or our new baby, just said she wanted me to meet her new boyfriend). I just gave one worded answers for the most part. Then last night I found out the real reason she texted me...she waited 4 days & then texted me "Hey, are you coming to my party?" I assume it's to sell the junk jewelry she makes...but it really irked me that she pretended to want to see me, but in the end she just wanted one more victim to buy her crap. I didn't answer. I blocked her number, deleted her & blocked her from my social media.

I just feel like people have no shame anymore...
1st bold: you answered your own question. Maybe folks got tired of the expense of hosting with a low return?

2nd bold: you lost me at "fun". Most people I know dread/avoid these sales pitches disguised as "parties" . Want to get together with friends and not buy anything? Have an actual party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships