Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
When someone asks you something like "why aren't you married with kids?", look them straight in the eye and say "And why do you need to know?" and watch 'em fold.
LOL, love it. As for me, my response would be (and has been, cause I hear that crap all the time) is, "why are YOU such a nosey biotch ?" all the while smiling sweetly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 04:12 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Just say that you make far better life decisions than she does. Affluent people all got the memo that you get your education, establish your career, and then meet someone like-minded & think about reproducing. You don't want to be living paycheck-to-paycheck 20 years from now cleaning bed pans.
Agree. Excellent suggestion to the OP!

Old 02-23-2018, 04:18 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misssusie123 View Post
Ok, the next time she makes that comment I'll nip it in a bud. I'll shut her down in the most classiest way possible
OP, did you really need to ask strangers on the internet, to figure this out? You knew it already.

But there's something in this picture I'm not understanding. The student who's hassling you isn't married, either! The next time she says you'd better hurry up and get married, just tell her to speak for herself. That's easy to deal with. If she says you need to have kids "before it's too late", adding that to the mix, you can say you're not in as much of a rush as she was, and add that your life is none of her concern. If she pushes the point after that, repeat that you don't discuss your personal life with others.

You say she says these things DURING class? That's hard to believe. Maybe you mean--during class break, or after class?

Here's the thing. Probably, your classmates are tired of her schtick by now, anyway. You've ignored her enough times, that her broken record act is only reflecting poorly on her, not you. So don't be so self-conscious about it. She's making a fool of herself, not you. And any classmates who may be secretly (or more openly) siding with her are envious of you, too. These are lowlife types. Don't let them ruffle your feathers.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have to realize that today due to raising a generation or two where everyone gets a medal, no one ever loses, we have younger people running around who can't handle any criticism. I think the OP's classmate is a moron, but she can't grasp that there are other ways of handling this other than running to the Dean(which is laughable) or getting into a physical altercation.

I never heard of anyone in college or in the workplace that got into a physical fight either.

Let's face it, if the current younger generation were the generation fighting WW2 we would all be speaking German. Not saying all, but you can't help but notice how quickly they get overly upset over minor issues.

"60 Minutes" did a piece on this a few years ago, it showed parents of college educated 20 somethings calling the company if their son or daughter got a bad performance review at their corporate job.

This kind of entitlement comes with consequences.

25 is the new 12.
You gave good advice earlier, but think both courage and entitlement can be in any generation. We tend to look back with rose colored glasses at our own. There were brave high school students in Parkland, FL who instead of seeking a safe space after enduring a tragic, violent ordeal decided to participate in discussions and peaceful rallies to make schools safer. They are continuing that and many across the nation have been inspired, too. Meanwhile, it is well paid, mostly 40-70+ year olds in Congress that have acted like entitled snowflakes and done nothing. That entitlement has had deadly consequences for too many people. Hopefully, it will have consequences for some of them if they get voted out of office in the midterm elections. Apparently for some of them, 40-70+ is the new 10. Fwiw, I am in my late 50's.

I do agree with you 100% that the OP should not contact the dean! At least a dozen suggestions in this thread for reply are excellent. The OP would be wise to consider them.

Last edited by chessgeek; 02-23-2018 at 05:58 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 05:42 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
To the poster who called the OP stupid, that was uncalled for and not right.

I disagree with the majority of posters on here and here is why:

Nursing students have a code of conduct and are upheld to a greater level of professionalism than in other fields of study. It's the nature of nursing. In nursing school we were rated on things like respect for our fellow nurses, teamwork, etc. I definitely do not agree that the OP should sling it out with this other student. She shouldn't drag herself down into it. First, she should calmly and in a professional manner, tell the other student that her comments need to be stopped. If the woman doesn't stop, yes, I believe she should definitely report the woman's conduct to the Dean or one of her teachers. The conduct comes under heading of "hazing"--belittlement, etc.

Second, I don't agree with the consensus because I myself dealt with a disrespectful colleague at one point and tried to handle it on my own. Well, it backfired. The little B ran right to the manager and twisted the entire incident into a big fat lie that I was the instigator of the brouhaha. By the time I was called into the manager's office to explain my side, she had already formed a slanted opinion. My mistake was thinking I could handle it on my own when I should have gone to the manager right away.

Not everyone has the verbal skills to correctly handle uncomfortable comments without getting upset and angry. Many adults who have more years and life experience than OP need to take assertive training courses in order to prepare for certain professional positions. It's not an inbred skill in everyone.

We all have hot buttons. Getting down in the gutter with low minded people isn't the answer. Especially not in nursing.

There is a lack of knowledge on this post about the nature of nursing. Google "nursing student code of conduct".

I just hope the OP reads my post before doing the wrong thing.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:45 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
"Unprofessional" .. great now we have to be professional when we joke with our friends lol

Old 02-23-2018, 06:10 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misssusie123 View Post
I'm a 25 year old nursing student. In my group, I am one of two women who don't have children (the other one is married) while the other students are single, with out of wedlock children. One of my classmates who I thought was a decent person, will out of nowhere say to me "you need to hurry up and get married before its too late". She has no idea how old I am nor does she know my relationship status. Then once someone mentioned me being young only for her to say "who is young?" with a sly grin on her face. She keeps implying that I'm old and need to get married before its too late.

I feel that my personal decision to remain childless and single is none of her business. I find it strange that she keeps pressuring me to get married instead of pressuring the single mothers to get married because they have children. Her behavior has made me really insecure about myself and my appearance. I am not old nor do I think I look old. Should I report her to the dean because I am sick and tired of this
I would advise you to tell her that your life is not any of her business. Also, tell her to give her advice to people who actually want it.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You gave good advice earlier, but think both courage and entitlement can be in any generation. We tend to look back with rose colored glasses at our own. There were brave high school students in Parkland, FL who instead of seeking a safe space after enduring a tragic, violent ordeal decided to participate in discussions and peaceful rallies to make schools safer. They are continuing that and many across the nation have been inspired, too. Meanwhile, it is well paid, mostly 40-70+ year olds in Congress that have acted like entitled snowflakes and done nothing. That entitlement has had deadly consequences for too many people. Hopefully, it will have consequences for some of them if they get voted out of office in the midterm elections. Apparently for some of them, 40-70+ is the new 10. Fwiw, I am in my late 50's.

I do agree with you 100% that the OP should not contact the dean! At least a dozen suggestions in this thread for reply are excellent. The OP would be wise to consider them.
Well thank you and I agree with you.

However if the OP is serious about nursing and gets so jarred by this, she needs to really think about is nursing for her. Sounds like she just started and isn't too far along.

Is she going to be able to handle upset family members yelling at her, a doctor yelling at her?

Nursing isn't for those who have weak stomachs and thin skins....she needs to think about that.

And had she gone to the dean, he/she would probably say the same thing.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:10 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
OP, you are overly sensitive. I don't know whether it's because you're one of the millennial snowflakes I hear so much about or because you're just terribly insecure. In this world you are going to be around a ton of people you don't like or who you think are weird but it's your job as an adult to navigate this and not let things effect you. The fact that a grown ass adult is even asking about reporting someone over this NON ISSUE is mind boggling to me.

The world doesn't care if you're married or have kids, ever, so figure out how to stop being upset and get through school and move on. I guarantee you're going to experience worse stuff than this. Don't even consider being vegan, you wouldn't survive.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:25 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
To the poster who called the OP stupid, that was uncalled for and not right.

I disagree with the majority of posters on here and here is why:

Nursing students have a code of conduct and are upheld to a greater level of professionalism than in other fields of study. It's the nature of nursing. In nursing school we were rated on things like respect for our fellow nurses, teamwork, etc. I definitely do not agree that the OP should sling it out with this other student. She shouldn't drag herself down into it. First, she should calmly and in a professional manner, tell the other student that her comments need to be stopped. If the woman doesn't stop, yes, I believe she should definitely report the woman's conduct to the Dean or one of her teachers. The conduct comes under heading of "hazing"--belittlement, etc.

Second, I don't agree with the consensus because I myself dealt with a disrespectful colleague at one point and tried to handle it on my own. Well, it backfired. The little B ran right to the manager and twisted the entire incident into a big fat lie that I was the instigator of the brouhaha. By the time I was called into the manager's office to explain my side, she had already formed a slanted opinion. My mistake was thinking I could handle it on my own when I should have gone to the manager right away.

Not everyone has the verbal skills to correctly handle uncomfortable comments without getting upset and angry. Many adults who have more years and life experience than OP need to take assertive training courses in order to prepare for certain professional positions. It's not an inbred skill in everyone.

We all have hot buttons. Getting down in the gutter with low minded people isn't the answer. Especially not in nursing.

There is a lack of knowledge on this post about the nature of nursing. Google "nursing student code of conduct".

I just hope the OP reads my post before doing the wrong thing.
I'm not sure when or where you went to nursing school, but in my neck of the woods nursing is a JOB, nothing more, nothing less, to most of those entering the field today. It most certainly is NOT a calling that only attracts the pure of spirit and mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships