Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 04:51 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Clearly I wasted my time answering the op’s question and too late to delete
No, Spuggy, you did the right thing in answering my question here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 05:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Actually, it's good that you didn't use the word "assault." No need to over-dramatize and make yourself look more of a victim.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:59 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I've only been in one fight and that was for messing with someone else's guy. (he told me they broke up) So her friend jumped me - it wasn't pleasant. It's okay, her old man beat her azz for breaking his truck window which she tried to pin on me as an excuse to jump me. ikr?

Besides that, only by my baby daddy. He was a substance abuser and... stuff happens. That was the last time he put his hands on me.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:24 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Have you ever been assaulted?

Sure. Several times, usually it's happened at work, a couple of times socially, but I'm not telling you about any of it. I think most people who have been assaulted aren't interested in digging up the past and airing out old trash, old dirty memories, or possible lingering anger, traumas and grievances and talking about their assaults on a public forum. I know I'm not. What is the point?

If you genuinely want to know how many people have been assaulted (instead of using this question as a way to tell people about your own assault) then maybe you should post a poll instead. That way if people want to retain anonymity on the forum they can do so, they don't have to talk about it but can still vote in the poll. People who want to talk about it can do so.

I think that there are many more people who have experienced assaults than there are people who have not experienced assaults. Sooner or later, one way or another, it happens to the majority of people. I don't know anyone who hasn't been pushed hard or hit by another person at least once in their life.

As a woman myself, and having researched the statistics, I know for a fact that there are far more females of all ages that get assaulted than there are males being assaulted. Very often repeatedly, from childhood and onwards for all their lives.

You should expect that you may be assaulted again, or that some kind of attempt at assault will be made at some point in your future life. If you are worried about being assaulted again then now is the time for you learn how to physically defend yourself properly and learn how to publically present yourself as somebody with self-confidence who is able and willing to stand up for yourself. Don't expect other people to do it for you.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-24-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 08:59 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Age 15, I was mugged by five guys. Leader of that pack was wearing a ring on his left hand with a curved blade on the end, hit me with a left hook, knocked out a front tooth, and caused a hairline fracture in the maxilla bone. Followed up with a right hand to my jaw which fortunately didn't do any damage. One of his posse picked up a brick and was ready to slam me with it when the leader stopped him.

When walking to my house, some lady saw the blood and called the cops who drove me home. My family had a big dental bill out of it.

Oh yeah, this was 1959, so bad things happened even in "Leave It To Beaver Days."

At least in Baltimore.

Of course today in that town, they're shooting each other for no reason with guns. We didn't have that problem back then.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Raised in the ghetto during the civil Rights riots. Naturally ' my kind' were targets of retribution by the very group seeking civil rights. Ironic. So yeah got beat up coming home from school .

At 22 was assaulted by a guy who I thought was aiding me since my car broke down. How nieve I was to think good Samaritans exist. To this day I believe in helping others...it hasn't changed by virtue to be of good will. I just rarely allow another to feign Goodwill when they have ill intent.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:09 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I was 19 and on my way home to my apartment I shared with a friend.
I was waiting for the subway. This other subway going the other way from where I was going, rolled into the platform and the doors opened. 2 men inside the subway cart were fighting. As the door opened one of them exited.
I would guess he was around 40 years old. You could tell he was drunk/high. Anyways. As he exiting the subway cart, he sees me and shouts " you " and points right at me.
I'm thinking " who the hell our you". Then he runs up to me and grab the color of my jacket and refuse to let go. I'm scared as hell because, who knows, maybe he will attempt to throw me down on the tracks or something. He is clearly mistaken me for somebody else. So weird.
Well, I don't remember much, but all of a sudden there are 4 or 5 guys there to my rescue and they get the creep off of me.

On the other side of the platform another train, my train, rolls in. I jump on. The man who had just attacked me, somehow managed to get away from the guys who had just helped me, and he runs after me into the subway cart.
Before he gets to me a second time, the same guys again, runs after him, grabs the hold of him, and the last thing I remember is one of the guys jumped up grapping a hold of the hand rail in the subway cart, and with two legs kicks the man out of the train head first. Right before the door closes, I see them all jump out after him.

Who knows what happened after that. But I hope they kicked the **** out of him.

Anyways, that was a long time ago now, back in 1997.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 AM

666 posts, read 643,221 times
I have been assaulted approximately three times. In my younger days I tended to provoke others in an angry fashion and occasionally I "met my match", as it were.

My, there are some angry folks in this thread. I guess reading about incidents of assault is pretty upsetting.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Using the OP's example, I'd be very curious to know if there is anyone at all who reaches adulthood without having been assaulted, at least to that degree? An incident of physical aggression that requires no medical attention, not even a bandaid?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:29 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
So, it's been 10 years and you say you "regret not using the word 'assault' to describe him aggressively pushing" you.

What do you think using that particular word would have changed about the outcome "only" being a conversation with the assistant principal?
Assault is a criminal term. It's a crime to assault someone. High schools tend to see situations like this as just "kids being kids". However it should be taken a lot more seriously.

If someone ever hits my kid at school I will tell them to call the police and not bother with the principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships