Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:37 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 hours ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know that the Church sent *all* priests with sexual abuse issues to Alaska as was claimed, but they certainly moved "troublesome" priests around to infect different parishes instead of dealing with the problem at the root.
The problem, at its root, is that they are putting men in leadership positions who don't want to marry a woman. As young men, they choose this life career choice, knowing they don't want to marry a woman. So you get:

1. Asexual men, which is pretty rare
2. Gay men, who until fairly recently couldn't openly have a relationship with a man so their sexuality would have to be in hiding whether they chose the priesthood or not.
3. Pedophiles

What could go wrong?

Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,310,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The problem, at its root, is that they are putting men in leadership positions who don't want to marry a woman. As young men, they choose this life career choice, knowing they don't want to marry a woman. So you get:

1. Asexual men, which is pretty rare
2. Gay men, who until fairly recently couldn't openly have a relationship with a man so their sexuality would have to be in hiding whether they chose the priesthood or not.
3. Pedophiles

What could go wrong?
You neglected to mention;

4. Men who repress their natural heterosexual sexual desire because they are forced by the church to abstain.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Regardless of your reasoning, attending a wedding, or a funeral, is a personal choice. No one has the right to judge a person who chooses not to attend. Personally, I loathe weddings and funerals in general, too many people are far too emotional and hypersensitive and often those feeling do not end, or rectify themselves after the event. Someone will always be offended whether you choose to attend, or not. Stand by your decision and be not bothered by it.
But the issue with that is that maintaining relationships with people you care about sometime means you do things not because the event is important to you, but the people involved with the event are important to you. Someone who wants your support and presence as they celebrate a marriage or mourn a loved one isn't being hypersensitive.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 hours ago)

Quote:
You neglected to mention;

4. Men who repress their natural heterosexual sexual desire because they are forced by the church to abstain.
They're not forced. They chose it.

It's not like men in prison, who are forced to not have sex with women. Priests go into this with their eyes wide-open.

And now, since homosexuality is becoming much more acceptable (thank goodness for that) there will be fewer and fewer priests. As we are seeing.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I only set foot in churches for wedding and funerals. My presence there doesn't support the churches, just the people I'm there for. It's just a building.
Amen to that!....uh, sorry, right you are.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
Quote:
... No one has the right to judge a person who chooses not to attend...
The OP did not have to be rude about it.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They're not forced. They chose it.

It's not like men in prison, who are forced to not have sex with women. Priests go into this with their eyes wide-open.

And now, since homosexuality is becoming much more acceptable (thank goodness for that) there will be fewer and fewer priests. As we are seeing.
I disagree. Many are introduced as children and are coerced into servitude for the church as altar boys on the way to priesthood without the ability to understand the ramifications and transformation that comes with puberty and adulthood. They are ignorant and inexperienced in the nature of life and what transpires in the human body and mind. By the time nature takes it s course they are indoctrinated in the church and by this time, they are compelled by guilt to obey.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But the issue with that is that maintaining relationships with people you care about sometime means you do things not because the event is important to you, but the people involved with the event are important to you. Someone who wants your support and presence as they celebrate a marriage or mourn a loved one isn't being hypersensitive.
They are if they cannot, or are unwilling to understand your personal feelings toward the event. For someone such as the OP who has a very deep and understandably adamant view of the Catholic church, they in particular, deserve understanding from the person getting married, who in turn should be willing and happy to have the OP attend the reception.

I have done many things in my life of more than half a century to please, or support others, and will continue to do so, but there are many things I choose not to do. Everyone should have the choice to decide, especially when it comes to things that are so personal. I have been "Best Man" 3 times and an Usher once, I have chosen not to attend other weddings I had invitation to. I have chosen to attend, or not, funerals for personal reasons and will continue to do the same in my remaining future based on my feelings toward the deceased and/or the survivors, as I see fit.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
They are if they cannot, or are unwilling to understand your personal feelings toward the event. For someone such as the OP who has a very deep and understandably adamant view of the Catholic church, they in particular, deserve understanding from the person getting married, who in turn should be willing and happy to have the OP attend the reception.

I have done many things in my life of more than half a century to please, or support others, and will continue to do so, but there are many things I choose not to do. Everyone should have the choice to decide, especially when it comes to things that are so personal. I have been "Best Man" 3 times and an Usher once, I have chosen not to attend other weddings I had invitation to. I have chosen to attend, or not, funerals for personal reasons and will continue to do the same in my remaining future based on my feelings toward the deceased and/or the survivors, as I see fit.
Everyone's like that.

But do you say, hey I heard your brother died and I won't be attending his funeral because I think he was a scum.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:34 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
It’s rude to refuse to attend someone’s wedding ceremony, but go to the reception. If you have a problem attending the ceremony, you politely decline the whole shebang without bringing up your personal objections.

This hits close to home ... my mother always told my sister and I that if we didn’t get married in the Catholic Church, that she wouldn’t attend the wedding.

This year my niece (her granddaughter) is getting married in an outdoor ceremony. My mother can’t drive and it was made clear to her that none of us would he operating a taxi service so that she could pick and choose what to attend. Either she’s there for the whole day, or none at all. She’s suddenly forgotten her objections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.