Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,394,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
If you are calling anyone "Hispanic" you are calling them Spanish, as Hispanic=Spanish in Latin. So it is correct call anyone that speak the Spanish language Spanish . People from Spain are called Spaniards.

it is kind of an archaic from, as it is preferred to use the nationality and not just call them by the language they speak.

by the way, no one that call themselves "Spanish" is trying to be white or from Spain, its making the point they come from a Spanish speaking country.

People from Spain are Spaniards
There is no language called Spanish the real name is Castilian
As there is no language called Chinese but Mandarin and Cantonese.
Spanish is used to refer to everything related to Spain, including the language.

"Spanish" is an adjective, denoting that a person (or object) originates or from Spain.
"spaniard" is a noun, meaning "person from Spain".

this difference is what generates the confusion as some people from Latin america see their culture and language as originating is Spain (this mostly happends when talking to non-Latin people.) rarely among Latin Americans.

people think that calling anyone "spanish" is incorrect but calling them "hispanic" is jajajaja people are funny.
That's not true, it's more akin to calling a Jamaican person "English".

Old 03-02-2018, 12:49 PM

453 posts, read 314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's not true, it's more akin to calling a Jamaican person "English".
no its not the same, Jamaicans never considered themselves to be English. In Latin america millions of peoples considered themselves to be Spanish. They were full citizens of Spain and considered themselves to be Spanish. Lets take the example of Puerto Rico, PR even had representatives in the Spanish senate. Cuba and DR the same. The people of DR called themselves Spanish until the late 1800s. when DR became independent from Spain called it self "Republic of the Spanish Haiti" and it citizens "Creole Spanish".

Last edited by upthere22; 03-02-2018 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Using the term "Hispanoamerica/n" (which is an outdated term itself) to refer to the Spanish speaking diaspora is not the same as referring to themselves and each other as "Hispano" (Hispanic) though.

I have been to Latin American countries and nobody referred to themselves as "Hispano". Many even looked funny when I used it. They did very confidently and proudly call themselves Latinos, though, or Costa Ricans, Panamanians, Venezuelans, etc. And these were folks of all education levels and social statuses using the term Latino. None of them ever said Hispanic. I only hear that in the US, and a lot of US Spanish speakers---especially depending on the country their originate from---don't even use it anymore.

I do hear plenty of NON-Latino Americans (mostly white people) still heavily using the term "Hispanic" though, even if they use it interchangeably with the term Latino. It's almost like the term "African American"; white folks use it to sound politically correct when referring to Black people, but most Black people just call themselves "Black" instead of "African American," although you do get some who occasionally throw the term around themselves, mostly out in public to sound formal like white people try to do when referring to Black people as "African Americans."
they do know what Hispano means but the term Latino is preferred, for political reasons (they dont want to leave Brazil out, as it is the the largest and most populous country) all of the integration organizations prefer the term "latinoamericano" because hispano is exclusionary. Hispano is mostly now used in the subject of the spanish language (literature, and poetry) not so much in politics as Brazil is too important to be left out. in the last 80 years the calls for integration have been widened to include Brazil, Haiti etc, so its way more common to use the term Latino as hispanic only integration makes little sense. But historically Hispanic unionism has been more prevalent.

Last edited by upthere22; 03-02-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 01:44 PM

1,858 posts, read 1,635,022 times
"I'm Brian and so's my wife".

Old 03-02-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
"I'm Brian and so's my wife".
I'M SPARTACUS! lol

Old 03-02-2018, 04:59 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,432,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
by the way, no one that call themselves "Spanish" is trying to be white or from Spain, its making the point they come from a Spanish speaking country.
My friend IS making the distinction that he is white. So, not no one, and I doubt he is an anomaly.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:02 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,277,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My friend IS making the distinction that he is white. So, not no one, and I doubt he is an anomaly.
There are plenty of white people in South America. In fact Argentina is a whiter country than the USA.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 PM

9,342 posts, read 6,886,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If I let every passing, uncorraborated anecdote from the internet into what I consider my gnosis, I, and society in general, would probably cease to exist from the sheer cognitive dissonance.

Well, he wasn't wrong.

So Puerto Ricans are Hispanic and Latino, thus are considered Mexican, in your view. What interesting logic. Not good logic, just interesting.
No Puerto Ricans are Boriquas

Old 03-02-2018, 10:29 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,503,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I just started a new job here in Milwaukee a few weeks ago. One of my coworkers, in the course of a conversation about tacos, referred to some of her family members as Spanish. I asked her if they were from Spain, and she replied "No, they just prefer to be referred to as Spanish rather than Mexican."

She has a German sounding last name. Maybe they’re in-laws or something. I think she’s confused.
Mexican means just someone from Mexico. Like you are American. But here in America, "Mexican" has been used in a derogatory manner, so maybe she doesn't like it for that reason. Esp in these times.

I never heard of a Mexican prefer to be called Spanish, though. I refer to them as Hispanic, actually. Not Mexican. If they are obviously Hispanic. "Hispanic" is a form of "Spanish," I guess.

I would think "Spanish" refers to the language, or someone from Spain.

I've also heard Hispanics refer to themselves as Latino/Latina.

Hispanic and Latino would include anyone from the Latin American countries. Many of hte Hispanics in America are actually from Guatemala or other Central or South American countries.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:07 AM

3,857 posts, read 3,118,472 times
Spanish people are from Spain. Latinos are from Latin American countries, and Hispanic s are from Spanish speaking Latin American countries.

You are not American ,but a person from the United States of America, or a US Citizen.

Most Hispanic or Latino people will claim nationality among Spanish speaking people, but just Spanish with everyone else.

Spaniards are European not Latino or Hispanic. Go ahead , I dare you to call a real Spanish person a Mexican, there will be conflict.

This Spanish term was really started by the Spanish, when they used the caste system in the New World. Your status is defined your position in society.

Mexicans are proud people with a huge history in the US, getting booted of their land in old Mexico. Original Mexicans many generations deep ,used to call the SW USA home, but booted off their land and told to go back to Mexico, which was completely foriegn to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.