Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 AM

1,166 posts, read 875,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But but but...this is what you're complaining about.

You're saying how YOU feel, and now, apparently, don't like dealing with the disagreement. Or at least, the way the disagreement is stated. You don't like taking what you're getting.

No problems with disagreement at all! But if I lay out my viewpoint, explaining clearly and concisely why I think and feel the way I do, and all you come back at me with is "You're entitled/a liberal/stupid/insert adjective here" that's weak and neither tells me your position nor refutes mine. It's a waste of breath/energy doing that, you're adding nothing to the conversation, so what's the point? The way I see it, the point is to causally dismiss them without actually proving them wrong or refuting them.

If you're going to call me names and label me, tell me WHY I'm that thing. If you can't do that, you're the equivalent of the kid on the playground calling people "losers"! There's no context, no ideas being put forth, just empty insults being said by an empty-headed person!

P.S. Notice I didn't call that person "empty-headed" out of context. I clearly explained my position and why I disagreed with their position! I'm not just shouting out adjectives to shut down the conversation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:23 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,009,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
No problems with disagreement at all! But if I lay out my viewpoint, explaining clearly and concisely why I think and feel the way I do, and all you come back at me with is "You're entitled/a liberal/stupid/insert adjective here" that's weak and neither tells me your position nor refutes mine. It's a waste of breath/energy doing that, you're adding nothing to the conversation, so what's the point? The way I see it, the point is to causally dismiss them without actually proving them wrong or refuting them.

If you're going to call me names and label me, tell me WHY I'm that thing. If you can't do that, you're the equivalent of the kid on the playground calling people "losers"! There's no context, no ideas being put forth, just empty insults being said by an empty-headed person!

P.S. Notice I didn't call that person "empty-headed" out of context. I clearly explained my position and why I disagreed with their position! I'm not just shouting out adjectives to shut down the conversation!

Hmmm. I've interacted with you before I think. You were the one who thought everyone should wait 7 years to get married, and wanted to fine anyone who didn't wait.

When I pointed out that my husband and I married a little over a year after our first date, you said something along the line of "Well if you want to throw your life away and be broke for the rest of your lives, don't cry to me!" (I used quote marks, but I'm paraphrasing.)

Even when it was pointed out that I've been married going on 16 years now, and between my husband and I, we make a little over $100,000, you wanted to hold on to the notion that we were somehow living crappy lives.

So...there, you pretty much dismissed ME instead of acknowledging that you weren't the Dalai Lhama of marital bliss, OR that PERHAPS your POV could use expanding.

You're not exactly living what you're preaching brother.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM

And that said, I think everyone else who's interacted before with you probably feels the same way.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,871,505 times
Quote:

Of course you realize that if they were typing out a response to you, their head literally couldn't be "empty." So how did calling them that "explain your position?"

jimmy, I know you fancy yourself a decent philosopher here, but I don't think you're as adept at it as you think you are. I've seen you start threads and just abandon them when your point is disproven. I agree that you don't often practice what you preach.

I Love When People Don't Listen/Take My Advice And Then Fail!

You Can Choose To Be Right Or Be Happy? I Choose Right!

Old 03-12-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Of course you realize that if they were typing out a response to you, their head literally couldn't be "empty." So how did calling them that "explain your position?"

jimmy, I know you fancy yourself a decent philosopher here, but I don't think you're as adept at it as you think you are. I've seen you start threads and just abandon them when your point is disproven. I agree that you don't often practice what you preach.

I Love When People Don't Listen/Take My Advice And Then Fail!

You Can Choose To Be Right Or Be Happy? I Choose Right!

1. I explained why I think they are wrong to do what they do and THEN called them a name. I explained that it's weak to only call someone a name and expect it to shut them up/end the conversation. If you don't explain your reasoning it's just an empty insult. That's how you cleverly refute people. Just saying "Hurr Durr you're entitled/stupid/whatever" doesn't do a thing. I did the opposite by saying "That person is empty headed BECAUSE . . . "

2. Point to a time where I've been proven wrong. I've had lots of people DISAGREE with me, but that's not the same as proving me wrong.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Did you accidentally skip over my reply? I pointed out were you were wrong.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:07 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,047,789 times
Quote:
+1
Dated/engaged 1.75 years, married 19 with awesome family.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
+1
Dated/engaged 1.75 years, married 19 with awesome family.
Good for you! You were the exception to the rule!

You can spout off anecdotes all day long about how, despite the odds, you beat them, that doesn't change the general pattern of things. And the general pattern says that people marriages that are rushed generally don't last. But that's neither here nor there in regards to this thread.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,047,789 times
Quote:
Good for you! You were the exception to the rule!

You can spout off anecdotes all day long about how, despite the odds, you beat them, that doesn't change the general pattern of things. And the general pattern says that people marriages that are rushed generally don't last.
LOL, nope. 2 people proved you wrong, which was all you asked. burden would be on you to show real numbers.

Oh and through most, not all, of my personal and professional life I've somehow managed to be happy AND right a lot of the time.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,750,656 times
Quote:
You wanna shut me up? Refute me ideologically!
This shows you have no common sense when it comes to being around other people. You have the attitude that you want to fight, anyone that does not agree with you ideas. All people like you with your attitude, are so disgusting to the other people, that they just wish you would shut up and go away. People have been putting up with radical religious people trying to shove their religion down everyone's throat. People preaching radical political ideas. People preaching radical lifestyle, etc. etc. People just want those with what they consider radical ideas, to just shut up and go away. They simply do not want to hear, or debate you radical ideas with them.

They consider you are the problem, and just wish you would take what they consider radical ideas and go someplace else to do your preaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships