Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 03:30 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,503 times

Advertisements

I'm way out of the loop with bridal/wedding showers as I have't been to one in about 10 plus years, and the last family baby shower I had just given birth and didn't attend, but sent a gift. I didn't have one as I lived on my own for many years beforehand, so I guess found it odd expecting one.

Dh has a friend whose wedding he will be in. I do not know this friend other then saying hello to him at our wedding, and recently him and his fiance came to our house and were rather rude. The entire duration of our marriage he lived 5 states away and just moved back this summer. I very loudly said hello about a minute or so after him and his fiance entered, (I was in another room) and they completely ignored me. I then very loudly said guess noone heard me and this friend said "yeah hi" without making eye contact IEven my DH stood there a little stunned.

Anyway, this friend starts texting DH asking him if I'm going to her shower, an invite I never got lol. He then has his sister, or whoever is throwing it, text me the invite saying they had problems with the mail. A few days later the invite pops up in my mailbox. I do not know his fiance, nor will I know a single person there and find it odd I was even invited. It's not like I have any connection to anyone there. DH told me to say no, so I was going to text later I won't be going. Would anyone feel the least but guilty declining this invite or know why I was invited other then for a gift? DH was in another wedding where I hardly knew the bride and I was not invited to the shower nor did I expect an invite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 03:33 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
If you don't want to go then don't go! You could send a gift to be polite, or not, I don't think it matters much considering you're not great friends with this person. I think some people invite every single female on the wedding guest list to the shower. Not knowing anyone else there sounds like a perfect reason not to go. I would just claim to be busy though.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I would not feel guilty.

Just decline politely.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
I'm way out of the loop with bridal/wedding showers as I have't been to one in about 10 plus years, and the last family baby shower I had just given birth and didn't attend, but sent a gift. I didn't have one as I lived on my own for many years beforehand, so I guess found it odd expecting one.

Dh has a friend whose wedding he will be in. I do not know this friend other then saying hello to him at our wedding, and recently him and his fiance came to our house and were rather rude. The entire duration of our marriage he lived 5 states away and just moved back this summer. I very loudly said hello about a minute or so after him and his fiance entered, (I was in another room) and they completely ignored me. I then very loudly said guess noone heard me and this friend said "yeah hi" without making eye contact IEven my DH stood there a little stunned.

Anyway, this friend starts texting DH asking him if I'm going to her shower, an invite I never got lol. He then has his sister, or whoever is throwing it, text me the invite saying they had problems with the mail. A few days later the invite pops up in my mailbox. I do not know his fiance, nor will I know a single person there and find it odd I was even invited. It's not like I have any connection to anyone there. DH told me to say no, so I was going to text later I won't be going. Would anyone feel the least but guilty declining this invite or know why I was invited other then for a gift? DH was in another wedding where I hardly knew the bride and I was not invited to the shower nor did I expect an invite.
Don’t go. Why would you? Sounds like a gift grab to me.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
If the wedding couple knows your husband well enough to ask him to be a groomsman at their wedding it is would be very rude NOT to ask his wife to the bridal shower.

Now you can say "No" if you do not want to attend.

BTW, yes, it does sound like they were rude to you when they visited your home.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:19 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
I very loudly said hello about a minute or so after him and his fiance entered, (I was in another room) and they completely ignored me. I then very loudly said guess noone heard me and this friend said "yeah hi" without making eye contact IEven my DH stood there a little stunned.
Guests came to your home, and you didn't go to the door to greet them; but rather yelled at them from another room? And they are the rude ones?

Old 03-26-2018, 06:28 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I would not feel guilty.

Just decline politely.
This; however, since you were "kinda" invited and your DH is in the wedding I would still send a small gift. It will make you the bigger person.

Last edited by CGab; 03-26-2018 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 06:32 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Guests came to your home, and you didn't go to the door to greet them; but rather yelled at them from another room? And they are the rude ones?
That was my first thought.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:39 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Trying to figure that one out too.... How else were they supposed to respond, if you yell Hello from another room, but by yelling back "Yeah Hi!"?

Old 03-26-2018, 06:40 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
On the shower, they probably thought it's most polite to ask, since your hubby will be in the wedding... but I don't think you have to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships