Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,591 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibananas View Post
well I hope not! i'm changing the garage code today. I have also requested that she asks for $250 to cover for utilities and HOA for this month and next as he's staying 17 days straight.

I reasoned with my sister that nothing is free, and we pay to live there. It's like staying in a nice hotel for 17 days for free...
So have you lived there for several months prior to this month, where he stayed for 17 days free? Can you track an uptick in utility use?

I can see, that if there are costs of him being there, that you ask your sister to cover that cost.

Presumedly, the HOA fee hasn't risen because he is there.

But water and electricity probably have, by a small percentage, and it's reasonable to ask your sister to cover that.

But in the meantime, joni, I really think you should ready the house for the market. Can you do that without taking a huge financial hit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 10:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
told him when it happened never to do that again and to always use the doorbell or knock. I was calm and in a NON-Joking manner when I said it but he knows I meant what I said.
Well, good luck!

Old 03-28-2018, 10:18 AM

73 posts, read 40,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
One year?????

OK, well as you now know there is a lot of time between "find boyfriend" and "get married," so now is the time to have a new rules discussion.

I completely understand how uncomfortable it is to not know if some guy will be in your house, but for most every couple I know that has sex AND has roommates, the Significant Other becomes like another roommate. So at some point if he isn't going anywhere you will need to stop being surprised to find him there and instead be surprised when he ISN'T.

you're right about this.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So have you lived there for several months prior to this month, where he stayed for 17 days free? Can you track an uptick in utility use?

I can see, that if there are costs of him being there, that you ask your sister to cover that cost.

Presumedly, the HOA fee hasn't risen because he is there.

But water and electricity probably have, by a small percentage, and it's reasonable to ask your sister to cover that.

But in the meantime, joni, I really think you should ready the house for the market. Can you do that without taking a huge financial hit?
not sure we have enough equity in it to do that, it's really a nice house but for us 2 only... I have my upstairs privacy and her bedroom is downstairs. Minus him, it's great.

We just need rules.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:23 AM

He promised that he was looking for an apartment when they first started dating. I told my sister he's just saying that as it's been over a year and still not looking. If they do buy a home, it'll have to be in her name... SAD!

Old 03-28-2018, 10:26 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
He promised that he was looking for an apartment when they first started dating. I told my sister he's just saying that as it's been over a year and still not looking. If they do buy a home, it'll have to be in her name... SAD!
Get him to buy out your share of the equity

Old 03-28-2018, 10:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
My sister and I purchased a home together last year. Only I was dating at the time and I would usually visit my boyfriend at his place. My sister started dating shortly after we purchased the home. The guy she is dating is 35 and currently lives at home with his parents. He has been divorced for approximately 4 years and does work. He does spend most of his time sleeping at our place, which I do not like at all as he does not contribute to the household. Currently he is spending approximately 3 weeks sleeping at our house as his and my sister's job is on a shutdown. I asked my sister to please ask him to pay at least for the utilities and she agreed to ask, but initially she got upset that I would even ask her to do something like that.

Last night, my sister and I were eating dinner in the kitchen when our garage door opened. I got really scared and thought to call the police, but it was her boyfriend. I did not know he had our garage door code and he just walked into our kitchen like nothing happened. I told him never to do that again and to always ring the doorbell. That's common sense, but why would someone do that if they know that person is home?! It angers me so much as I have to control my temper with him in respect for my sister...

Please give advice on what you would do with someone who doesn't contribute and also doesn't present common sense. We are two women living in a home and I sure wouldn't do that to anyone.
Sounds like you should’ve just bought a house by yourself.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 AM

371 posts, read 287,648 times
Quote:
they both work, we all do. they work at the same place and their company is on a 2 week shutdown, but will reopen afterwards. Just that he doesn't have his own place to go to, but comes to me and my sister's home and sits and watches Hulu/Netflix ALL DAY.
Good to hear they will resume their jobs. Sorry they hang around the house all day. You all sound young, at that age we cycled like mad. Belonged to a gym. Hung out with friends. But the world isn't as connected anymore nowadays with everyone utlizing online features

Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
they both work, we all do. they work at the same place and their company is on a 2 week shutdown, but will reopen afterwards. Just that he doesn't have his own place to go to, but comes to me and my sister's home and sits and watches Hulu/Netflix ALL DAY.
Wait a minute. What do you mean, "he doesn't have his own place to go to"? He wasn't homeless, when he got involved with your sister. Why can't he go "home" to where he was living, before your sister entered the picture--mom & dad's place?

Old 03-28-2018, 11:05 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Start walking around in your underwear around you sister and her boyfriend
Quote:
haha!!! nice idea. I do that already upstairs. Maybe I can take it downstairs and act drunk lol
But seriously, if he walks right into your home without knocking it's only a matter of time before he comes upstairs. It must be galling that you have so little control in your own home. It may come down to kicking your sister out at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships