Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:14 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Thats an assumption. Could be political or any number of reasons he was denied.
um...no. It was because he was white (and Jewish but I don't believe that was a factor). These were business owners and he was their elected political official. He wanted to be included to ensure he could represent their interests.

Even the boy scouts couldn't remain BOYS ONLY. I'm okay with boys only/girls only/different groups allowing exclusive membership. HOWEVER when you see the extreme of the "whites only" groups being all about hate and racism, how is it okay for other skin tones to have exclusive groups and be perfectly fine. If it's a "white's only" it's automatically labelled as a hate group.

What if it was a "no gays" group? I mean, come on. You just can't exclude a whole group of people. Oh wait. It's okay if you're excluding whites - unless they identify as black... ??

It's really not about whites not wanting to trade places - that's ludicrous. All men are created equal. Just some whine louder than others...in all skin tones.

Colorblind. That's what I wish for.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:21 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There's plenty of white only groups:

KKK
Aryan Brotherhood
Skinheads
Bikers
Militias
Mafias

Feel free to join whichever one suits your need. God forbid minority groups are allowed to have exclusive meetings.
By including "bikers" in the "white only" category is inaccurate. There are those who are racist but there are many predominately black biker groups, too. And there are even more that are very nicely integrated.

Not sure why Mafia is plural but I'm thinking white and Italian ...

Militias... many above board state militias exist for noble reasons and they are all inclusive.

Which leaves hate groups. Really? All-white groups are hate groups but all-black groups are not.

hel-LO call it what it is.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:20 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There's plenty of white only groups:

KKK
Aryan Brotherhood
Skinheads

Bikers
Militias
Mafias

Feel free to join whichever one suits your need. God forbid minority groups are allowed to have exclusive meetings.
Only the first three are white only groups... Let's just consider them a moment

If YOU think they are equivalent, then I don't think you meant to make the point you just made. Members of those kinds of groups are shunned and considered social outcasts, by everybody, in case you hadn't noticed.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:21 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
By including "bikers" in the "white only" category is inaccurate. There are those who are racist but there are many predominately black biker groups, too. And there are even more that are very nicely integrated.

Not sure why Mafia is plural but I'm thinking white and Italian ...

Militias... many above board state militias exist for noble reasons and they are all inclusive.

Which leaves hate groups. Really? All-white groups are hate groups but all-black groups are not.

hel-LO call it what it is.
Due to the history of slavery, civil rights, and racism in the US, it shouldn't be surprising that a "Whites only" group might be perceived differently than a "Blacks only" group. However, that isn't my fault as a black person. I am not responsible for the things that happened in the past. I'm not saying that white people living today who weren't involved in those things are responsible either, but I don't really think it's fair to say, "If we had a whites only group, people would call it racist." Well yeah, maybe they would because it would be reminiscent of things that happened in the past. And sure, the OP might feel slighted because she was excluded from a black women's group, and I DO think the organizers were at fault for not making it clear that it was only meant for black women as I've already stated. But no, her complaint does not carry the same weight with me as it would if a black person were to be excluded from a "Whites only" group because the history behind the situation still matters. It doesn't mean that I think a "Whites only" group must inherently be racist, but I can certainly understand why some people might associate it with racism.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:34 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
No, I'm not offended. People can hangout with whoever they want in their personal life and on their own dime.
Though she should probably make it more clear to avoid any misunderstandings.

Sure, people could have white only meetup groups that aren't fueled by hate, I see a lot of "unofficial" ones all the time. But there's good reasons those two things are associated. History is history, but it's not forgotten. While we have moved forward, it really wasn't that long ago there was still a great deal of segregation and hate. The association is a powerful one and it won't go away over night.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:53 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I have no problems with it. People should be able to associate freely with only those they want.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:05 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Discrimination involves more than only employment. Although clubs are not specifically mentioned.

Race Discrimination Basics - FindLaw

-----------------------------------------
Clubs are excluded. Private clubs segregated by race are legal.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
So, that's why the Boy Scouts were forced into allowing gays to be scout leaders when that was against the principals of the Boy Scouts??? Interesting concept, but it doesn't follow.
The BSA is very intertwined with public agencies and has tax perqs to the point that it cannot be considered "private."

Old 03-30-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Does the double standard suck enough to make white people want to switch places with black people so that they can enjoy all the benefits and privileges that they think they’re being excluded from by being white?
Chris Rock asks that question in his standup: "How many of you white people would like to be me? Hmm? Nobody? And I'm rich!"

Old 03-30-2018, 04:19 PM

As has been noted, a group that was just for whites only that was based solely on having white skin would be odd.

"African-American" is not just a race, it's also an ethnic group that happens to be closely associated with a race.

There are plenty of groups for Americans of various cultural ethnicity that also happen to be white. There are Italian-American groups, German-American groups, Albanian-American groups, Slovenian-American groups, et cetera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships