Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:18 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
The only time I've ever encountered rude service was when I was in a restaurant with a boyfriend at the time. But really, the rude person was being abusive to the whole restaurant...not just my boyfriend and I.

She was a high school kid working in the family restaurant on Homecoming Weekend. She made it loud and clear that all of us patrons were ruining her evening, and every time someone new walked into the restaurant, she'd loudly say "Here's another one!"

She was also rude with getting waters, orders, the silver ware...just all in all, taking her anger out on the rest of us.

I don't usually withhold tips, but I did that evening. (THAT boyfriend didn't believe in tipping. It always fell on me.)
And in all my decades on this blue rock, I thought that I had heard everything ....!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 AM

374 posts, read 758,975 times
Last year I was at an office supply store. I only had one item and was going to check out. I was standing at the register waiting for a cashier. Another employee saw me and motioned for me to go to the customer service counter. As I walked up to the counter, someone came up behind me with a cart full of things and the employee behind the counter began to ring his items up. I had been ahead of him and only had 1 item in my hand. I would have let that go, but after he left and I stepped up to the counter, the employee waited on yet another customer who had just walked into the store. It was bizarre. I felt like I was invisible. The employee was determined to wait on everyone else but me. After I finally got my item paid for I went home and complained on the store's website. A few hours later I received an email apology from the manager saying they were short staffed that day.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 hours ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,923,325 times
I've called a couple times to report an employee being rude, but didn't describe the employee, just said they will want to educate their staff on ____.

My grocery store had a policy that on Saturdays, kids could get a donut free. One plain glazed donut. So my kids went to shop with me on Saturdays, and picked their donut out and started to eat it when a new employee came over and barked at them that they need to go pay for them BEFORE they ate them. My 5 year old said they're free on Saturdays, and the employee barked NO THEY AREN'T YOU"RE STEALING. So yeah, an email to the manager and he said sorry he'd put the sign in a more prominent place that they're free and educate the staff.

Another time at another grocery store, my Sister in Law who was 35ish used the electric handicapped cart. She has MS and although she appears the picture of health, she often can't walk or stand for long periods of time. A teenage clerk told her, "Ma'am, those carts are for people who are handicapped, not just lazy. Please put that back". I realize that sounds unbelievable, but I was there, and I witnessed it. She and I left and I emailed the manager that the policy should be if an adult is using it respectfully (not teenagers racing them, for example) no comments should be made. The manager completely agreed and apologized profusely.

Because yeah. Some employees need to be retrained.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Complain because someone was rude to me? No. I could care less about if people are rude to me. I see rudeness as a sign of ignorance and I don't need to pass it back. I don't consider my self ignorant.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:02 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Complain because someone was rude to me? No. I could care less about if people are rude to me. I see rudeness as a sign of ignorance and I don't need to pass it back. I don't consider my self ignorant.

This reminded me of a local BBQ restaurant. The BBQ is FANTASTIC, and it's a family-run joint.

Sometimes, the owner's mother (maybe grandmother) takes the orders and runs up the charge tickets, etc.

Sometimes she's a little rude and short with customers. Oh well. LOL My 82 yr. old mom won't go there anymore because the lady was rude and short with her.

Me? Eh. I can deal.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:20 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
A teenage clerk told her, "Ma'am, those carts are for people who are handicapped, not just lazy. Please put that back". I realize that sounds unbelievable, but I was there, and I witnessed it. She and I left and I emailed the manager that the policy should be if an adult is using it respectfully (not teenagers racing them, for example) no comments should be made. The manager completely agreed and apologized profusely.

Because yeah. Some employees need to be retrained.
The stuff people say and do! You can't train for common sense.
The employee used 'ma'am' and 'please' so I'm guessing they knew they were supposed to be polite and respectful, and in their mind they were. The mgr needs to know so they can correct the employee, but you can't really head off some of the mind boggling stuff new employees come up with when it never crosses your mind that anyone could be so clueless in the first place.

Last edited by DubbleT; 04-03-2018 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 10:42 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,234 times
If we’re sitting down in a restaurant and our server seems to forget us, disappears, or seems like they can’t wait for us to go, we may leave a lower tip or none at all. We’ve never been in a restaurant where we had to speak to a manager because our server was all out rude. We’ve had situations where the ordered meal was bad, maybe 2-3 occasions that I can remember and a manager adressed those.

With fast food or some of the restaurant chains (Olive Garden, Bar Louie, Outback, etc), my husband is big on completing the surveys given on the receipt. Usually there is a special offer or something as an incentive for doing them, but he will also use them as an opportunity to talk about bad service received. We know these are more likely tracked by corporate, so where a manager may or may not do anything about bad service, corporate will typically have a little more accountability in place. After completing his reviews, he has received calls to talk about matters further as well as apology letters and gift cards sent as a way to make up for bad service received.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,783,967 times
Last year as my husband was having chemo done, I went in for a mammogram. The guy behind the desk at the clinic asked why I was there at that time and I told him that the head of the department had told me to just come in when my husband was having his chemo to make things more convenient. The receptionist said, "Oh, okay, well, that explains it. I don't know how those people can work down in the cancer center. And if you have ____ cancer (the type of cancer my husband had,) it's just a death sentence, anyway."

I sat down in the waiting room and started shaking and went into a full blown panic attack. The woman doing my mammogram thought I was a drama queen, even though having a mammogram is very routine and I've had them before. I just didn't have the ability to tell her I was in the middle of a panic attack.

After I got home, I contacted the clinic and let them know about the inappropriateness of their receptionist. I informed them that it caused me extreme anxiety, that we were in the midst of cancer treatment for my husband after a prolonged stay in the ICU due to extreme complications he had after surgery. We were feeling more positive about his treatment, but exhausted and uncertain, still, and I didn't wish to pursue the conversation. I just wanted to let them know so they could consider some training for this particular employee since it was readily apparent that he really needed it. (He also referred to himself as an " frigid a$$hole" in the 3 minute conversation we had!) Instead of respecting my wishes, I got a slew of phone calls, emails, and written letters from the clinic. The head of the clinic admonished me for not picking up the phone earlier, in fact. I was taken aback when he said in a very perturbed tone of voice, "I've tried to call numerous times to apologize but you never answer your phone." And I said, "Is this your idea of an apology? Because if it is, it needs work. Also, I don't care to rehash the event. I'm my husband's sole caregiver and every time I think of that day, it causes me anxiety, so I thank you for the call, but I'm done talking about it now." And then two days later I got a letter in the mail... yet again... with pretty much the words from the phone call verbatim. I was about ready to go bite people.

I just got a notice a couple of weeks ago that it was time for my mammogram. Oh, joy.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:12 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,334 times
I complained about a rude cashier at Kmart. The manager was making excuses for his behavior. I don't know if she did anything but, I haven't seen him in there since. That's why they can't keep their stores open. Customer service and management sucks.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Last year as my husband was having chemo done, I went in for a mammogram. The guy behind the desk at the clinic asked why I was there at that time and I told him that the head of the department had told me to just come in when my husband was having his chemo to make things more convenient. The receptionist said, "Oh, okay, well, that explains it. I don't know how those people can work down in the cancer center. And if you have ____ cancer (the type of cancer my husband had,) it's just a death sentence, anyway."

I sat down in the waiting room and started shaking and went into a full blown panic attack. The woman doing my mammogram thought I was a drama queen, even though having a mammogram is very routine and I've had them before. I just didn't have the ability to tell her I was in the middle of a panic attack.

After I got home, I contacted the clinic and let them know about the inappropriateness of their receptionist. I informed them that it caused me extreme anxiety, that we were in the midst of cancer treatment for my husband after a prolonged stay in the ICU due to extreme complications he had after surgery. We were feeling more positive about his treatment, but exhausted and uncertain, still, and I didn't wish to pursue the conversation. I just wanted to let them know so they could consider some training for this particular employee since it was readily apparent that he really needed it. (He also referred to himself as an " frigid a$$hole" in the 3 minute conversation we had!) Instead of respecting my wishes, I got a slew of phone calls, emails, and written letters from the clinic. The head of the clinic admonished me for not picking up the phone earlier, in fact. I was taken aback when he said in a very perturbed tone of voice, "I've tried to call numerous times to apologize but you never answer your phone." And I said, "Is this your idea of an apology? Because if it is, it needs work. Also, I don't care to rehash the event. I'm my husband's sole caregiver and every time I think of that day, it causes me anxiety, so I thank you for the call, but I'm done talking about it now." And then two days later I got a letter in the mail... yet again... with pretty much the words from the phone call verbatim. I was about ready to go bite people.

I just got a notice a couple of weeks ago that it was time for my mammogram. Oh, joy.

To me, this would be grounds for immediate termination. That's horrifying. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope your husband is doing okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships