Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:08 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

Why would your wife joke about something like that? Would she joke about a friend's cancer or mental illness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:19 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I am guessing it's HPV that the friend has. Regardless, you don't joke about someone having any kind of STD. It's not funny.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:22 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Inappropriate joke. You don’t joke at someone else’s expense. Tell your wife to apologize and hope the woman accepts it otherwise, shuffle off....

Old 04-05-2018, 08:32 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I am guessing it's HPV that the friend has. Regardless, you don't joke about someone having any kind of STD. It's not funny.
I guessed genital herpes,which is also common.

But somethng else is in the details------How in the world do you OP,know your wife's friend has an STD?

Your wife told you about it,even though your friend told her in confidence?

HiPAA violation.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Yes, your wife was insensitive. There are some things you just don't ever make a joke about and a friend's STD is one of those things. As mentioned above, the friend is really hurting right now, not just because of having an STD but also because of the circumstances by which she got the STD, and your wife isn't being sensitive to the friend's emotional pain and sense of betrayal.

If your wife wants her ex-friend back as a friend she will need to acknowledge that she added to the friend's pain and feelings of betrayal and will need to demonstrate sincere, genuine, heartfelt apologies to the friend and ask her what she can do to make up for it.

But I suspect it might be too late for that now since several weeks have already gone by, the friend won't respond to calls and apparently no hard effort other than calls were made by your wife to rectify the situation. So maybe your wife wasn't really a very good friend or didn't care about her enough anyway, otherwise she'd have made much more demonstrative efforts to show remorse than just phone calls by now.

Perhaps her pride won't let your wife admit that she was wrong. But she should be prepared now to scratch one friend off her list of long time friends and be careful in the future to give more diplomatic thought to what comes out of her mouth towards her remaining friends.

Does wife have no personal sensitivities of her own that she is susceptible to? Maybe she needs to be gently reminded of what her own sensitivities would be if circumstances were a different scenario and the shoe was on the other foot.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:39 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

But somethng else is in the details------How in the world do you OP,know your wife's friend has an STD?

HiPAA violation.
HIPAA only applies to healthcare providers.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
HIPAA only applies to healthcare providers.
Thank you! And of course the conversation was only between the wife and friend, not shared publicly.

That said, the wife was in the error on this one, obviously the "joke" wasn't funny to the subject of it.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:34 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
If alone and it were guys there would have been some cursing and name calling but it would have been squashed. In most instances... A 10 year relationship over? Just fix it...

Old 04-05-2018, 09:39 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

HiPAA violation.
No it's not. It's a friend telling a friend.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:50 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
So my wife has (had) a close friend that she has known for almost 10 years. Unfortunately though, she said something that offended this woman very deeply and she wont even return my wifes calls. It's been several weeks. I guess this woman has an STD (Not AIDS/HIV......I dont think) and my wife made a joke about it but wont acknowledge the fact that what she said was insensitive. If it had been me on the butt end of such a joke I would have been offended but my wife doesnt see it that way and thinks that her friend is over reacting. She pointed out that the STD her friend has is somewhat common and not life threatening.
There is still a stigma attached to have an STD and your wife should be sensitive to that. It's hard for her to understand, I'm sure, if she doesn't have the same issue going on in her life. She should apologize, and offer to buy her friend lunch or send her a bouquet of flowers. If she stands any chance of getting her friend back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships