Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 PM

38 posts, read 21,742 times

Advertisements

I love animals. I would prefer the company of animals over people. Particularly dogs. I had a friend over today and a story came on the television about a dog that was abused. I burst into tears and I get super emotional whenever I read something about an animal that was hurt or abused.

I’ve had emotional moments watching the news and hearing sad stories of people/children dying. But nothing grabs at my heartstrings like the story of an animal or dog. I lost my dog of 11 years two years ago - I don’t think I’ve ever gotten over it.

I never really thought about it being an issue until she said that to me.

Thoughts?

Old 04-09-2018, 11:47 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Your friend obviously doesn't feel the same way about animals. Maybe she doesn't place as high a value them....human wants and needs always trump animal wants and needs. Many many people grow up with the idea that animals are mere possessions of humans or commodities, not beings who are entitled to ethical and humane treatment. Equal treatment? Well, that's hard to define, because animals are not human....what may be best/most appropriate for an animal is not often the same as for a human.

FWIW, I don't think there's anything wrong with you at all. I also tend to get more upset over animal injustice than I do over human injustice. Doesn't mean I condone crime or immoral behavior. I feel that humans can get access to justice more easily and in a more profound way than animals can, so I am more likely to take action (emotionally at least) on an animal's behalf. Also, many times a human may partly "deserve" something bad that happens to them at the hands of another human. They may not be totally innocent. An animal being treated badly by a human is more clear cut. Clearly undeserved and despicable for the very reason...they are not equal nor are they human.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-10-2018 at 12:05 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 11:56 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Not an issue and nothing wrong with you.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 AM

410 posts, read 343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Not an issue and nothing wrong with you.

This. I, too, am an animal lover. About the only time I feel sincere and complete empathy for another person is when that person is defenseless - i.e., the elderly or the very young.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:52 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
I agree with the other posters and feel much the same as you do. We donate to organizations the help local animals and the edlerly.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:14 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
This. I, too, am an animal lover. About the only time I feel sincere and complete empathy for another person is when that person is defenseless - i.e., the elderly or the very young.
Same here. I get just as upset over animal abuse as child or elderly abuse.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SionaApple View Post
I love animals. I would prefer the company of animals over people. Particularly dogs. I had a friend over today and a story came on the television about a dog that was abused. I burst into tears and I get super emotional whenever I read something about an animal that was hurt or abused.

I’ve had emotional moments watching the news and hearing sad stories of people/children dying. But nothing grabs at my heartstrings like the story of an animal or dog. I lost my dog of 11 years two years ago - I don’t think I’ve ever gotten over it.

Thoughts?
I have heard people say this a lot over the years, it's not just you. Me to....I love Animals....and have had a few in my life time, horses, dogs, cats, even birds....animals are rewarding and do not require much interaction. Yes, they take a lot of care, and are loving, cuddly, but I'm never afraid of failing them. LOL

Same thing happened to me, when I was pregnant with my son. There was an article I read in the newspaper one Sunday morning, that I've never forgotten, about a father who abused his son to death. I to broke into tears, who wouldn't. To this day, I remember that article...awful.

I've also had many emotional moments, while watching videos of dog abuse and have almost cried...

Your not alone, there are many of us out here...we just don't talk about it much....

I believe strongly we are all different, and we're all on different levels...spiritually...emotionally, religiously, morally. Doesn't mean one person is wrong and another is right, there is no right or wrong answer, it just simply is.

If your happy with your life, don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says about you or to you....

I call her out, for Criticizing your caring heart.

I believe watching a helpless child or animal being abused has got to be one of the most heart wrenching things to watch...they are helpless and trusting, and loving souls...how could one not be moved to tears?

Just be you...to show empathy and care for others, who cannot defend themselves is to be able to place yourself in another's shoes and feel their pain...and caring for others is a human emotion which makes us human, a part of our souls....

It's ok to do so....as long as you can still fine goodness and maintain positive energy in life and not allow the misfortunes of others to control your life....there is and has got to be a balance...

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-10-2018 at 06:06 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 06:05 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,312 times
People who don't or can't have empathy for animals are suspicious to me. I think they're not trustworthy. Psychopaths usually start out their bad behavior by hurting animals before they start hurting people. Just something to consider when picking friends.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:35 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
People who don't or can't have empathy for animals are suspicious to me. I think they're not trustworthy. Psychopaths usually start out their bad behavior by hurting animals before they start hurting people. Just something to consider when picking friends.
Overreaction. Animal abuse and not wanting pets- which is what this idea always comes down to - are two vastly different things.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:03 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SionaApple View Post

Thoughts?
people probably say the same thing about me

But the way I see it - there are hundreds, maybe thousands of ways a human being can be helped - other people, agencies, local, state, federal etc. People just have to make a phone call and keep calling to get help for other humans. The assistance is there.

Animals? Its a dog eat dog world out there for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships